Sir Bobby:New leader sends a signal

Jimbo

Newcastle United have needed a strong leader for months, if not years. The departure of Dennis Wise last week proves to me that, in Alan Shearer, they now have that man.

But Saturday's performance showed just how strong Shearer will have to be in the coming weeks. This is a team on their knees, fighting for Premier League survival and a million miles from being able to take on sides like Chelsea.

I spoke to Alan on Friday and he was aware of the size of the job on his hands. I bet he realises it even more now. There is simply not enough pace, quality or energy in the current group of players. Chelsea were far from their best yesterday but still far too sharp for Newcastle.

Alan Shearer

Hero's return: Toon favourite Alan Shearer has taken over the helm at St James' Park until the end of the season - but can he do enough to keep them up?

How many of the current side would have got into the Newcastle team in which Alan played who were involved in the Champions League? Steven Taylor and Damien Duff? Possibly. The rest, forget it.

It's a damning indictment of the transfer policy over the past couple of years. Players with legs such as James Milner and Charles N'Zogbia have gone out, the likes of Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith and Joey Barton have come in. If you can't run, you can't play in the Premier League.

Thankfully for Newcastle, they have Shearer. He is really the club's only hope now because not only does he have the heart of a lion, he has a much shrewder football brain than many people might realise.

Alan was my No 9 at Newcastle and also one of the best captains I ever managed.

People talk about his passion and will to win. That is all true but, most importantly of all, he has a deep knowledge of the game and the ability to impart that knowledge to the dressing room.

Despite the defeat yesterday, half-expected by the Toon faithful, I suspect, there are enough games left for Newcastle to get out of trouble.

There was nothing wrong with the spirit yesterday and Alan will identify a few things to work on.

Crucially, the service into Michael Owen has to improve because his goals are the best chance of the club staying up.

For that to happen, Michael needs better service from the flanks. Jonas Gutierrez is a talented player but his instinct is to dribble in wide areas rather than cross the ball. Either he will have to change or Newcastle need different wide players to get the ball into Michael.

Shearer's strength will be the ability to make decisions and not be afraid of players. We saw that in his first 24 hours in the job. Iain Dowie came in, Wise went out. Action.

Mike Ashley clearly has respect for Alan because he has cleared the decks for him. Regular readers know I never liked Wise having that power 300 miles away from St James' Park, but Messrs Keegan and Kinnear did not have the clout with the owner to change it. As for Chris Hughton and respond to that.

Colin Calderwood, nice guys to invite to a picnic but not tough enough to have a genuine influence at a Premier League club as big as Newcastle.

Shearer will lead the players and not be afraid of confronting them when necessary. The players will

Players do not want to be on easy street. They want to feel their manager has a plan and the strength to see it through. It is why Fabio Capello has done so well for England after the Sven Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren years.

The Geordie nation is delighted to see Alan back. I saw Paul Gascoigne and Peter Beardsley at the stadium before kick-off yesterday - and Mike Ashley, who seemed to have a new spring in his step. At least until the game kicked off!

I just wish Shearer had been appointed 16 months ago after Sam Allardyce was sacked. Instead, yesterday's man Keegan was appointed instead of tomorrow's man.

But better late than never. Shearer is here and I believe Newcastle v Chelsea will be a Premier League fixture next season. And what's more, Alan Shearer and Guus Hiddink will be in the dugouts!

Some points I certainly agree with but others I don't. For example Keegan being yesterday's man when he quite clearly proved he was taking us in the right direction.

If Keegan was given full control we would have been top 8 this season no problem.

Keegan - post Ashley was never yesterdays man for anybody as he could set any club alight and he could get the players going.

Ashley will one day learn the legend he killed and it will follow him to his overweight grave.