15 years ago today

Jimbo

They were a pretty good band (though being a Sabbath fan I thought their use of Iommi riffs was apparent) who imo have become over-rated due to James Dean syndrome - I still don't think they would have become as huge as people say if he hadn't died.

I also think killing yourself when you have a family should be factored in to the Godhood status.

They were a pretty good band (though being a Sabbath fan I thought their use of Iommi riffs was apparent) who imo have become over-rated due to James Dean syndrome - I still don't think they would have become as huge as people say if he hadn't died.

I also think killing yourself when you have a family should be factored in to the Godhood status.

I dunno Nirvana were if anything on the slide in that context (as the band in fact wanted) by the time he topped himself. :lol:

Cobain himself might have moved into a different type fame with his death, but that's no different to so many others that died in similar circumstances.

As far as family and suicide go, I can't imagine Courtney Love helped. :lol:

Also on this day, a mere 6 years ago, from NUFC.com:

2003 Newcastle were third in the Premiership, six points behind Arsenal and Manchester United but having played a game fewer than them both. We had 61 points from 31 matches while the mackems were bottom with 19 points from 32 games.

:lol:

I dunno Nirvana were if anything on the slide in that context (as the band in fact wanted) by the time he topped himself. :lol:

Cobain himself might have moved into a different type fame with his death, but that's no different to so many others that died in similar circumstances.

As far as family and suicide go, I can't imagine Courtney Love helped. :lol:

Reckon you're right....I think the Heart Shaped Box ablum was written as a goodbye note to the music industry, certainly from Cobain and Novoselic....."Penny Royal Tea" etc, a lot of it is nowhere near as poppy and accessible as "Nevermind", which was reflected in the sales of the later album.

I saw them at Calton Studios in Edinburgh in 92, around the time MTV had pushed "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to the top of the charts. The venue held no more than 400, but there was also that many outside, some trying to push into the gig, security was going mental. It mustve been like that during "Beatlemania" I remember thinking. He could write a canny tune, and his voice will appeal to tortured teens down the decades.

I never did quite catch the whole Nirvana thing. I like a few of their songs, but wouldn't call myself a die-hard fan. I have found more favourite dead guys in Nick Drake and Elliott Smith, with the latter especially catching my attention. Don't worry, though, it isn't until October 21st that I might make him a tribute thread :lol:

Nirvana always bring a line in The Simpsons to mind when The Smashing Pumpkins (who I like infinitely more than Nirvana) guested - "Making music for depressed teenagers - like shooting fish in a barrel"

Pretty sure Adam (Chez_Given) met Mr. Cobain as well after his first UK appearance.

I remember being in the 6th form and one of the lads crowing for weeks because he'd got tickets to see Nivana - and really laying it on thick...

Didn't believe us for a good few hours that he'd killed himself - thought we were on the wind up. Angry fucker once the penny dropped mind!

Nirvana always bring a line in The Simpsons to mind when The Smashing Pumpkins (who I like infinitely more than Nirvana) guested - "Making music for depressed teenagers - like shooting fish in a barrel"

Is that the same one with "Blah Name Blah - Smashing Pumpkins :: Homer Simpson - Smiling Politely" :lol:

Was at a party at someone's house and someone had Ceefax on for some reason and it was on there. Living the dream tbh. It caused quite a stir although despite liking them at the time I wasn't arsed in all honesty. I have trouble finding them or any of their contemporaries (like The Smashing Pumpkins) seriously these days. Angsty teenage shit really. Some canny tunes though.

Was at a party at someone's house and someone had Ceefax on for some reason and it was on there. Living the dream tbh. It caused quite a stir although despite liking them at the time I wasn't arsed in all honesty. I have trouble finding them or any of their contemporaries (like The Smashing Pumpkins) seriously these days. Angsty teenage shit really. Some canny tunes though.

Aye, this is it. Of course it helps that we're further away from being angsty teenage shitheads ourselves these days. :lol: Take it as the pop music of its time and it still stands up well enough though - you could make a canny Now That's What I Call Flannel compilation.

Aye, this is it. Of course it helps that we're further away from being angsty teenage shitheads ourselves these days. :lol: Take it as the pop music of its time and it still stands up well enough though - you could make a canny Now That's What I Call Flannel compilation.

Plaid again Sam :lol:

Is that the same one with "Blah Name Blah - Smashing Pumpkins :: Homer Simpson - Smiling Politely" :lol:

We envy you, Homer. All we have is our music, our legions of fans, our million of dollars and our youth.

kind of fits in to the cobain thing too

Also 7 years since the death of this man;

Laynemtv.JPG

Far better band mind (AIC I mean).

Killed himself a lot more slowly and painfully though. :lol:

Aye, after his lass OD'd I think he just stopped giving a fuck all together.

Edited by Scy