Can We Stop Signing Spanish Based Players Please

TicTacWoe

Marcelino, Luque, Collocini, Xisco and to a lesser extent Jonas and Enrique....None of these were/are bad players but they are not in general suited to English football or in some cases find it more difficult to settle in the area than players from other countries. We'd have been much better off signing players from countries more accustomed to the English weather.

I'd rather we had signed a few reliable, inexpensive scandanavians than highly payed over-priced Spanish based players. Futile rant over.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Its a bit harsh to put Xisco in that list, the bloke hasnt even been given a chance, its not his fault hes a puffter.

Enrique has been great since hes settled in and is getting better every game.

The rest i agree with you on :lol:

It is harsh to put Xisco on in terms of his playing record (as he almost has none), but he has obviously had some difficulty settling for his continued lack of first team action. Enrique is the pick of the bunch I'll give you that and he is improving, but he's still a regular defender in a team quite likely to be relegated so I wouldn't say he's setting the world alight.

On the other hand though, you could say, could we stop signing british based players please?

Smith

Ameobi

Nolan

Butt

Owen

Duff

R. Taylor

These players have all been let downs in some way or another, lets just stop signing players altogether and play the youngsters!

On the other hand though, you could say, could we stop signing british based players please?

Smith

Ameobi

Nolan

Butt

Owen

Duff

R. Taylor

These players have all been let downs in some way or another, lets just stop signing players altogether and play the youngsters!

True enough but there have been many British based players that have worked out well for us over the years unlike the Spanish based players. Most players (excepting the likes of Solano) that we have signed from the warmest climates have not worked out, or at least not as well as those from cooler.

Maybe we should just stop signing players of any nationalities and resign ourselves to the fact that the minute they step onto the field in a Black and White jersey, their past history is forgotten and they will play like a bag of shite. Then we can allow ourselves to disband out football club and go and support Man Utd like all the other glory supporters.

Marcelino, Luque, Collocini, Xisco and to a lesser extent Jonas and Enrique....None of these were/are bad players but they are not in general suited to English football or in some cases find it more difficult to settle in the area than players from other countries. We'd have been much better off signing players from countries more accustomed to the English weather.

I'd rather we had signed a few reliable, inexpensive scandanavians than highly payed over-priced Spanish based players. Futile rant over.

Totally agree. :lol:

frankly what we need to do is scout players that are young and have tachnical ability, speed and stamina for the positions they play in. currently our central midfield is the absolute core of the problem. ball retention and use of the wide players correctly is what we need to do.

i agree about the scandinavians as well.

get scouting and (if shearer stays) we will have a manager that most players would look up to. one thing i did notice on bobby robsons recent thread, is that the dynamic players (the runners if you will) are all but missing for us.

What a load of rubbish, Torres and Fabregas don't seem to have found it that difficult. If they're good players, who cares where they come from. I could name you quite a few shit Scandanavians if you want?

Guest Stevie

I think if you're going to sign players from La Liga they have to be top notchers. Liverpool have had a number of exceptional signings from La Liga, I think it's because they're either regarded as top class in Spain, or in the case of Riera have had some Premiership experience. Spanish players are great, but they need 2 or 3 years acclimitisation in my view, unless you're going to a team with a strong Spanish influence off the park like Liverpool.

I wouldn't expect average Premiership players like Guthrie, Nolan and say Jermaine Jenas to go to la liga and be a roaring success neither on the other side of the coin.

Edited by Stevie

What a load of rubbish, Torres and Fabregas don't seem to have found it that difficult. If they're good players, who cares where they come from. I could name you quite a few shit Scandanavians if you want?

I realise a lot of scandanavians are shit, but in general they would at least be less expensive flops, less risk if you get my meaning. In any case that was just an example. With most central/northern european signings we've had at least mixed success, take France we've had our share of disasters (Boumsong, Domi, Guivarch etc) but we've also pulled off some crackers (Ginola, Robert, Bernard, Bassong), but with Spanish based players it's been virtually a catastrophe every time.

As for Torres and Fabregas, the former is managed by a Spaniard who plays a Spanish system with several other Spaniards in the team and as Stevie said certain players are of a high enough standard to have a high chance to succeed everywhere (and thus be out of our potential signing reach). Fabregas came to England when he was 15 and was developed with a bunch of French/Dutch etc players.

We've just consistently signed players who aren't up to the cut and thrust of the PL imo. Not sure being Spanish-based in the biggest factor since I think Argentinians and Spanish players aren't all that similar anyway. It's all about doing your homework. I don't think Colocinni is shit but a quick look at him should tell you he might struggle in England - especially without a big lad alongside him.

Edited by alex

Guest Stevie

HE should get that ridiculous barnet sorted today. Someone should give him a date rape drug, but not rape him obviously, and take him in to the barbers on High Bridge, £7.50, that would sort him oot!

That might just be the answer here. Maybe it keeps his brain too warm so it is in a semi-docile state at all times, when it really needs to be active and awake. And then when he comes to having to run to get the ball, the hair lowers his aerodynamics and he is thus slower. I wonder if we can start some sort of petition to get him to shave it all off. The problem is it will make his nose look fucking massive.

That might just be the answer here. Maybe it keeps his brain too warm so it is in a semi-docile state at all times, when it really needs to be active and awake. And then when he comes to having to run to get the ball, the hair lowers his aerodynamics and he is thus slower. I wonder if we can start some sort of petition to get him to shave it all off. The problem is it will make his nose look fucking massive.

Hhhmmmm, is he actually just Andy O'Brien in a wig?