JawD

Official Match Thread: Stoke 1-1 Newcastle United

Just reading this in the run up to our game this weekend (from .com)

Stoke's victory at West Brom on Saturday was their first in the top-flight away from home, with the Britannia having hosted eight wins, four draws and three losses.

Those wins came over Aston Villa, Spurs, the mackems, Arsenal, West Brom, Man City, Bolton and the smoggies.

Hull, Fulham, Liverpool and Pompey all left with a point while Everton, Chelsea and Man United took all three.

The Potters defence has kept seven clean sheets at home so far this season, including four of their last five games.

I had us down for a point here, still on I reckon. Still really not hopeful for a win though.

I'm just hoping the week with Shearer and Dowie has gone well. Can't be confident but a win is certainly possible: despite their home record when all's said and done they're not a great side. We badly need to win one of these two away games coming up, or the pressure on the Portsmouth game will be huge.

A win and some favourable results elsewhere would be massive, although it's obviously a lot to hope for.

I wouldn't be against going all out attack against these cunts. If we sit back we'll drop deeper and deeper until we concede like Boro et al did. Our only slight strength lies in Owen and Martins. Time to use the system that was so productive for them last season.

Harper

Raylor Beye Bassong Enrique

Butt/Guthrie

Nolan-------------------- Jonas

Owen

Martins-----------Carroll

Hope we go shit or bust for this game and don't go with the famous " hope to nick a point attitude".

If the injury worries for beye etc clear up, o would start with

Krull

Beye. Staylor. Bassong enrique

Lovenkrands. Smith. Guthrie. Martins

Owen carrol

Shearer demands improvements

Newcastle United manager Alan Shearer has demanded his struggling squad provide strikers Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins with the ammunition they require to fire the club to safety.

Shearer saw his relegation-threatened side lose the first game of his eight-match tenure as Chelsea spoilt the Toon legend's homecoming with a 2-0 victory at St James' Park last weekend.

Newcastle - who sit 18th in the Premier League, three points from safety - are involved in a fierce battle to save their top-flight status and former striker Shearer has called for improvements.

The ex-Magpies and England captain believes Owen, who he enjoys a good friendship with following their playing time together at international level, and Martins possess the ability to fire the club to safety.

But he insists the attacking duo will not be able to exist on scraps, telling the club's official website: "We have to try and create more chances for them. We have got two very good goalscorers.

"It was always going to be difficult against Chelsea because of who we were up against.

"We sacrificed Michael a little bit in trying to help us out in midfield because of the power that they had and he did that very, very well.

"But in doing that we weren't able to get him into the right areas and, when he did, either the delivery let us down or there weren't enough people in there.

"But that is something for us to work on."

I know we all know this and its not rocket science, but its nice to see he is talking about it rather than all the bland shite we keep getting fed like "we must stick together" bla bla bla.

Whether he can come up with the right ingredients to change it is another matter.

Hopefully that doesn't mean that Martins and Owen will play up top on their own again.

For mine I'd have:

Harper

H. Beye - S. Taylor - Bassong - Enrique

Guthrie ----- Nolan ----- Jonas

Owen

Carroll --- Martins

That's Nolan / Butt. Nicky will do doubt get the nod.

Edited by OzToonFan

Hope we go shit or bust for this game and don't go with the famous " hope to nick a point attitude".

If the injury worries for beye etc clear up, o would start with

Krull

Beye. Staylor. Bassong enrique

Lovenkrands. Smith. Guthrie. Martins

Owen carrol

What is your obsession with playing Martins as a winger? You keep talking about it. Fat Sam did that and it was terrible. Why would you play Krul over Harper who hasn't made a mistake since taking over for Given? Why would you start Smith? I'd rather have Nolan. I'd rather have Nolan's grandmother.

I'd go with:

Harper

Beye S. Taylor Bassong Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Duff

Owen

Martins Lovenkrands

Hopefully that doesn't mean that Martins and Owen will play up top on their own again.

For mine I'd have:

Harper

Guthrie ----- Nolan ----- Jonas

Owen

Carroll --- Martins

That's Nolan / Butt. Nicky will do doubt get the nod.

SNAP! :mellow:

I agree.

If we can line up our best defence (a relative term in our case); i.e.

Harper

Then yes, offence may be our best defence.

I don't recall how leaky (or otherwise) Stoke's defence is.

What's it been like?

Acrossthepond

I would try martins out left because

A. It allows us to play two up front but still have three strikers playing.

B. Duff and jonas have created nothing down the left where as martins pace might allow some balls down the channels that he could race onto.

Can't see any sense in just persevering with something that's not working.

What I saw of smith the other night was much better than what I have seen from Nolan, butt etc. He was commanding in midfield playing neat simple forward passes and his tackling was excellent. He was also very vocal, something else I think has been lacking in the middle. Naturally I would prefer Barton but I think he's still a week or two away.

Krill again was great the other night. First time I've really seen him play. He was in control of the box, coming out to collect crosses and his kicking and distribution was excellent. We shouldn't stick with harper just becaause he's had to wait a long time.

Stoke supporter here in peace.

It's going to be a cracking atmosphere, whatever the result.

Confidence is high and we should be going all out for a win, although a draw for us wouldn't be an absolute disaster.

Feels strange to be going into this match as favourites of a sort, although anything can happen.

If you've got any sensible questions I'll do my best to answer as honestly as I can.

Up the Potters!! :mellow:

Stoke supporter here in peace.

It's going to be a cracking atmosphere, whatever the result.

Confidence is high and we should be going all out for a win, although a draw for us wouldn't be an absolute disaster.

Feels strange to be going into this match as favourites of a sort, although anything can happen.

If you've got any sensible questions I'll do my best to answer as honestly as I can.

Up the Potters!! :mellow:

I agree a draw wouldn't be a disaster for you as win your next home game and you'd be heading out of trouble, i don't even think a draw is the end of the world for us, though its not ideal!

My hope is based on two things, one that Newcastle are ever the enigma and will do something you least expect of them such as go to Stoke and win when everything seems to point to a defeat, and two that since you finally got your first prem away win you'll go and follow it by losing one at home where you have an excellent record, football just works that way sometimes!

If we do get a win then i don't think either of our clubs is going down to be honest, if you get a win then you're definitely not!

Acrossthepond

I would try martins out left because

A. It allows us to play two up front but still have three strikers playing.

B. Duff and jonas have created nothing down the left where as martins pace might allow some balls down the channels that he could race onto.

Can't see any sense in just persevering with something that's not working.

What I saw of smith the other night was much better than what I have seen from Nolan, butt etc. He was commanding in midfield playing neat simple forward passes and his tackling was excellent. He was also very vocal, something else I think has been lacking in the middle. Naturally I would prefer Barton but I think he's still a week or two away.

Krill again was great the other night. First time I've really seen him play. He was in control of the box, coming out to collect crosses and his kicking and distribution was excellent. We shouldn't stick with harper just becaause he's had to wait a long time.

So Smith was commanding in a reserves game? Big deal. You've seen every PL appearance of his for us, right? He shouldn't be getting a game unless all of Guthrie, Butt, Barton, Nolan and even Geremi are injured.

You say we shouldn't persevere with something that's not working, but you advocate going back to something that's proven not to work instead. And yes, we should stick with Harper, because there's no sense in dropping a keeper who's done nowt wrong in the middle of a relegation scrap.

Smith's 'performance' against Man Utd was one of the worst I've ever seen from any central midfielder of ours.

One of the things I've noticed from reading your board is there doesn't seem to be general agreement as to what would be your best team / formation for Saturday.

I know you've had some injuries forced on you, but have you had trouble getting a settled starting 11 this season?

Enrique, Taylor and Lovenkrands all ruled out.

Shit

That needs a Clay Davis smiley.

ClayDavisSHIIIIIT.gif

One of the things I've noticed from reading your board is there doesn't seem to be general agreement as to what would be your best team / formation for Saturday.

I know you've had some injuries forced on you, but have you had trouble getting a settled starting 11 this season?

We've had a massive problem with getting a settled starting 11. We've hardly ever had chance to field our strongest defence.