Official Match Thread: Stoke 1-1 Newcastle United

JawD

Just reading this in the run up to our game this weekend (from .com)

Stoke's victory at West Brom on Saturday was their first in the top-flight away from home, with the Britannia having hosted eight wins, four draws and three losses.

Those wins came over Aston Villa, Spurs, the mackems, Arsenal, West Brom, Man City, Bolton and the smoggies.

Hull, Fulham, Liverpool and Pompey all left with a point while Everton, Chelsea and Man United took all three.

The Potters defence has kept seven clean sheets at home so far this season, including four of their last five games.

I had us down for a point here, still on I reckon. Still really not hopeful for a win though.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just hoping the week with Shearer and Dowie has gone well. Can't be confident but a win is certainly possible: despite their home record when all's said and done they're not a great side. We badly need to win one of these two away games coming up, or the pressure on the Portsmouth game will be huge.

A win and some favourable results elsewhere would be massive, although it's obviously a lot to hope for.

I wouldn't be against going all out attack against these cunts. If we sit back we'll drop deeper and deeper until we concede like Boro et al did. Our only slight strength lies in Owen and Martins. Time to use the system that was so productive for them last season.

Harper

Raylor Beye Bassong Enrique

Butt/Guthrie

Nolan-------------------- Jonas

Owen

Martins-----------Carroll

Hopefully that doesn't mean that Martins and Owen will play up top on their own again.

For mine I'd have:

Harper

H. Beye - S. Taylor - Bassong - Enrique

Guthrie ----- Nolan ----- Jonas

Owen

Carroll --- Martins

That's Nolan / Butt. Nicky will do doubt get the nod.

Edited by OzToonFan

Hope we go shit or bust for this game and don't go with the famous " hope to nick a point attitude".

If the injury worries for beye etc clear up, o would start with

Krull

Beye. Staylor. Bassong enrique

Lovenkrands. Smith. Guthrie. Martins

Owen carrol

What is your obsession with playing Martins as a winger? You keep talking about it. Fat Sam did that and it was terrible. Why would you play Krul over Harper who hasn't made a mistake since taking over for Given? Why would you start Smith? I'd rather have Nolan. I'd rather have Nolan's grandmother.

I'd go with:

Harper

Beye S. Taylor Bassong Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Duff

Owen

Martins Lovenkrands

Hopefully that doesn't mean that Martins and Owen will play up top on their own again.

For mine I'd have:

Harper

Guthrie ----- Nolan ----- Jonas

Owen

Carroll --- Martins

That's Nolan / Butt. Nicky will do doubt get the nod.

SNAP! :mellow:

I agree.

If we can line up our best defence (a relative term in our case); i.e.

Harper

Then yes, offence may be our best defence.

I don't recall how leaky (or otherwise) Stoke's defence is.

What's it been like?

Stoke supporter here in peace.

It's going to be a cracking atmosphere, whatever the result.

Confidence is high and we should be going all out for a win, although a draw for us wouldn't be an absolute disaster.

Feels strange to be going into this match as favourites of a sort, although anything can happen.

If you've got any sensible questions I'll do my best to answer as honestly as I can.

Up the Potters!! :mellow:

Stoke supporter here in peace.

It's going to be a cracking atmosphere, whatever the result.

Confidence is high and we should be going all out for a win, although a draw for us wouldn't be an absolute disaster.

Feels strange to be going into this match as favourites of a sort, although anything can happen.

If you've got any sensible questions I'll do my best to answer as honestly as I can.

Up the Potters!! :mellow:

I agree a draw wouldn't be a disaster for you as win your next home game and you'd be heading out of trouble, i don't even think a draw is the end of the world for us, though its not ideal!

My hope is based on two things, one that Newcastle are ever the enigma and will do something you least expect of them such as go to Stoke and win when everything seems to point to a defeat, and two that since you finally got your first prem away win you'll go and follow it by losing one at home where you have an excellent record, football just works that way sometimes!

If we do get a win then i don't think either of our clubs is going down to be honest, if you get a win then you're definitely not!

Acrossthepond

I would try martins out left because

A. It allows us to play two up front but still have three strikers playing.

B. Duff and jonas have created nothing down the left where as martins pace might allow some balls down the channels that he could race onto.

Can't see any sense in just persevering with something that's not working.

What I saw of smith the other night was much better than what I have seen from Nolan, butt etc. He was commanding in midfield playing neat simple forward passes and his tackling was excellent. He was also very vocal, something else I think has been lacking in the middle. Naturally I would prefer Barton but I think he's still a week or two away.

Krill again was great the other night. First time I've really seen him play. He was in control of the box, coming out to collect crosses and his kicking and distribution was excellent. We shouldn't stick with harper just becaause he's had to wait a long time.

So Smith was commanding in a reserves game? Big deal. You've seen every PL appearance of his for us, right? He shouldn't be getting a game unless all of Guthrie, Butt, Barton, Nolan and even Geremi are injured.

You say we shouldn't persevere with something that's not working, but you advocate going back to something that's proven not to work instead. And yes, we should stick with Harper, because there's no sense in dropping a keeper who's done nowt wrong in the middle of a relegation scrap.

One of the things I've noticed from reading your board is there doesn't seem to be general agreement as to what would be your best team / formation for Saturday.

I know you've had some injuries forced on you, but have you had trouble getting a settled starting 11 this season?

One of the things I've noticed from reading your board is there doesn't seem to be general agreement as to what would be your best team / formation for Saturday.

I know you've had some injuries forced on you, but have you had trouble getting a settled starting 11 this season?

We've had a massive problem with getting a settled starting 11. We've hardly ever had chance to field our strongest defence.

Pretty much all season it's really been least worst team (and that's before you start on all the off-field problems) then all change as soon as anything seems settled as we seem to have had our usual ridiculous over-abundance of injuries.

Without wanting to sound like a broken record (too much :mellow:) it was one of the key issues with Keegan, he was looking to patch up the squad, not just a first 11 (others in the then management structure seemed to disagree). ;)

Enrique, Taylor and Lovenkrands all ruled out.

Shit

thats ok, our top notch recruitment team are bound to have another left back at the club by now.....isn't that right Dennis?.....Tony?.....are you lads there?...... :mellow:

------------------------Harper

Geremi----------beye-------bassong--------colo (duff)

------Nolan-------Butt (Guthrie if fit)----Guthrie

-----------------------Owen

------------Martins--------------Carroll

Basically, we are pretty fucked unless Vučkić comes on for his debut with 5 minutes left and scores a belter of an equaliser or a winner, come on son.

Enrique, Taylor and Lovenkrands all ruled out.

FFS i'm sick to death of the shafting we get with injuries, you could guarentee that when Beye finally returned from injury, other defenders would start dropping like flies!

Enrique is a big miss, firstly because he's been in very good form and secondly because we have nothing adequate to replace him with on the left. They might end up playing Bassong there if he's fit, meaning Colo will have to get ready for a severe examination from Stokes big boys!