Official Match Thread: Stoke 1-1 Newcastle United

JawD

Very true, in my opinion, central midfield has been our weakest position for a good few years.

The problem is, with Nolan and Guthrie going into hiding, it is left to Butt to try and provide that creativity which clearly isn't his game. His pass completion percentage on Saturday was even worse than usual. As pish as he was, at least he wanted the ball and tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to create something.

We desperately need some competent central midfielders.

Yeah, it may sound a bit strange, but as much as Butt has got worse as he reaches the end of his prem career, my estimation for him has gone up. Because he knows what his limitations are and what jobs he should be sticking to, but he sees nobody else around him taking any responsibility or trying to create anything and so he steps up and doesn't hide.

Twice against Stoke he made late attacking runs into their box, sadly he miscontrolled and couldn't keep it in play, but where the fuck were the likes of Nolan, Butt shouldn't have had to be the one doing that.

Also until R Taylor arrived i'd noticed Butt was even takign responsibility for freekicks kicks as well alot of the time, and i'd seen far worse from the likes of Geremi etc than Butt was producing.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give that to Butt. His spirit is so willing but unfortunately the flesh is weak. Unlike these others, I think he actually realises we are in a fight for our lives. When the others are hiding, he steps up to try to create, which unfortunately he isn't very good at. He has a go off the second ball from corners, for example - he almost always sends it way over, as he did on Sat, but at least he is still trying. This is a guy who we were booing not long ago and now seems one of the main sources of drive and leadership in the team. He's come a long way in my eyes and I'll be sad to see his spirit leave the club, if not his ability.

I'll give that to Butt. His spirit is so willing but unfortunately the flesh is weak. Unlike these others, I think he actually realises we are in a fight for our lives. When the others are hiding, he steps up to try to create, which unfortunately he isn't very good at. He has a go off the second ball from corners, for example - he almost always sends it way over, as he did on Sat, but at least he is still trying. This is a guy who we were booing not long ago and now seems one of the main sources of drive and leadership in the team. He's come a long way in my eyes and I'll be sad to see his spirit leave the club, if not his ability.

Futurama quote? :D

Spot on though. He's one of the only ones that looks like they care but its obvious he's pretty much past it now.

Spot on though. He's one of the only ones that looks like they care but its obvious he's pretty much past it now.

Bible quote you mean? :D

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Bible quote you mean? :D

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Never knew that. Just remembered it off Futurama. :unsure: