Derek Llambias: Alan Shearer was the only choice

peasepud

NEWCASTLE United managing-director Derek Llambias says Alan Shearer was “the only choice” when it came to selecting a saviour for the relegation-haunted Magpies.

Llambias believes that Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie have already made a huge impact at the club’s Benton training ground and that Toon stars have responded to their arrival in positive fashion.

The Chronicle can also reveal today that Joe Kinnear has come through medical tests in the Midlands with flying colours, but will not be returning to any type of work for at least two months.

Yet even Kinnear, who put 20 points on the board while in charge of Newcastle, will admit it is now solely about Newcastle United’s last seven games.

Llambias has hailed Shearer’s start to the biggest job in football. He told the Chronicle: “It’s been a tremendous boost for everybody in the town and around the stadium.

“The players are very upbeat and looking forward to the next game.

“We had to weigh up the situation. We were in a position where we had to make a move, and Alan was the best move.

“He was the only person we approached – we felt that was our only choice.

“He has made a difference, he’s a straight talker. I like that about him. There is no nonsense, I’m really upbeat about it.

“He’s got the respect. He’s loved in this town and so he should be.

“Alan has got Iain Dowie with him and that’s a good balance, but Alan is making the decisions. Iain is assisting on the football side of it and the energy within the training camp.

“I’m really encouraged by it all.”

The turbulence around St James’s Park has been considerable this term, with Shearer Newcastle’s fourth manager of the campaign and senior management figures such as Kevin Keegan, Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez all having been and gone on Barrack Road.

Yet Shearer has tried to produce a synergy at St James’s since arriving last week, and Llambias admitted that staying up is the only thing on anybody’s mind at Gallowgate.

He said: “This is basically a new page. It’s imperative we stay up. Alan is the man to do that.

“The energy he’s got into the club already and around the town is great.”

Llambias watched on along with 7,500 fans at St James’s yesterday at United’s open day and saw the former No 9 bagging two goals before wheeling away with a trademark celebration.

He added: “I should have signed him as player-manager!

“But on a serious note, Alan will have the team right for Stoke and we can move forward.”

Llambias also gave an update on Kinnear’s health.

He said: “Joe had his tests on Monday and the doctors were pleased with him.

“He’s lost two stone in weight and has passed all his tests with flying colours.

“He’s on the mend – in two months time he should be fully fit.”

There is still a lot of talk about what will happen at St James’s at the end of the season, with fans keen to know who will be in charge of the team, but it’s clear that the only thing that anybody at Newcastle United is focusing on at the moment is staying in the Premier League.

And Shearer has already appealed to supporters to focus on backing the team in the last seven games to help achieve that.

I love the way Ryder makes the first statement in bold as if its a positive. :mellow:

As for the second bit, seriously? the only person you could think would have a chance of keeping us up was an ex-player with zero management credentials? Im happy we made the move but can safely say that if someone had said to me last Sunday "pick anyone you want to employ for the last 8 games to try and keep us up and we'll try and get them in" then Shearer wouldnt have even entered my head.

I commend you Derek on finally doing something positive (even if it is way too late) but you must think we're all mental when you make statements like that.

There is still a lot of talk about what will happen at St James’s at the end of the season, with fans keen to know who will be in charge of the team

So why didn't you just ask him that question directly?

:mellow:

Damned if he does, damned if he don't.

Have the NUSC decided just to create problems to moan about now?

Any old iron any old iron any any any old iron......

Dick-Van-Dyke-Photograph-C12145614.jpeg

To be fair to the lying little prick in this instance, Shearer was the only option with this few games left and no other name (Barring Keegan which was a non starter) and its the only option i could think of as well. No top class proven manager would have been available, willing to come and able to that quickly transform the whole situation, it had to be a legend like Big Al to give the club a temporary and instant lift.

If we want o have a go at Lambias i think this is the quote to focus on: “He has made a difference, he’s a straight talker. I like that about him. There is no nonsense, I’m really upbeat about it.

They say opposittes attract so its no wonder he likes a straight talking, honest guy as its the reverse of what he is!

I'd have been more impressed if they'd got Shearer in the minute the seriousness of Kinnear's heart condition was apparent. To get him in with effectively 7 games to go is too little too late; in the meantime they've tolerated Hughton skippering a rudderless ship. Or to stretch the analogy further, they've watched the ship going down with all hands on deck and waited till it's nearly bows under to do anything about it.

It all adds to the sense of cluelessness and naivety, and the impression they'll only do something when backed into a corner like a rat in a trap. Credit for getting Shearer in, no credit at all for standing by and hoping against hope things will get better of their own accord.

Didn't Shearer say they'd approached Venables first? Someone is lying (again).

I don't think so.

Sure it was mentioned somewhere.

I think we were linked with Venables when Kinnear got the job but the patter was he wanted the job until the end of the season whereas Kinnear was prepared to take it on a game-by-game basis (the irony!). All the reports were that this time around the players wanted Venables but the club weren't interested in getting anyone in (prior to them getting Shearer in, obviously).

Didn't Shearer say they'd approached Venables first? Someone is lying (again).

I don't think so.

Sure it was mentioned somewhere.

I think we were linked with Venables when Kinnear got the job but the patter was he wanted the job until the end of the season whereas Kinnear was prepared to take it on a game-by-game basis (the irony!). All the reports were that this time around the players wanted Venables but the club weren't interested in getting anyone in (prior to them getting Shearer in, obviously).

Yeah he definitely was then, but I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the hours of media guff around Shearer too (it being the week before Shearer was approached ringing a bell - of course it could have just been some journalist making it up, just can't remember where it was :mellow: ).

No point in having a crack at Llambias as things stand, we need to be all on board together, with a fresh start as soon as Shearer came through the door. I'm willing to let things be, if they drop another bollock then I'll reconsider.

The only thing they can do to get me back on side, is invest over £50m in the playing side this summer. I'll even forgive them if we go down, as long as there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Isn't Barry Davies the account Stevie used prior to reneging on his bet with Sima btw? :mellow:

Aye they've suspended my account for no fucking reason. It'll be that Jimbo, I haven't posted since last night, and Jonny, Peter, and Tom were on then so it couldn't have been anyone else.

Isn't Barry Davies the account Stevie used prior to reneging on his bet with Sima btw? :mellow:

Aye they've suspended my account for no fucking reason. It'll be that Jimbo, I haven't posted since last night, and Jonny, Peter, and Tom were on then so it couldn't have been anyone else.

What were you up to like?

Absolutely nothing. I haven't posted anything inflammatory, racist or uncouth on here, so it's got me baffled too.

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Apr 16 2009, 10:06 AM.

At least N/O tell you what you've done wrong.

Absolutely nothing. I haven't posted anything inflammatory, racist or uncouth on here, so it's got me baffled too.

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Apr 16 2009, 10:06 AM.

Should change your name to 'Justice' ;)

Board Message

The error returned was:

Should change your name to 'Justice' ;)

<_< Free The West End One

For the record the board don't have me on side yet, I just don't feel the point in being agro towards them for the time being - certainly not until the season's finished anywho.

GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN,

GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN,

Pr0nographumiy. :mellow: