Linux

LeazesMag

not sure if I would do it just now, but more probably when I get a new PC, but can you split a hard disk so you have part of it running linux and part of it running microsoft for applications and games ?

And is it true that linux doesn't need virus checkers etc so its quicker and safer to use online ?

I'm not an OS expert or anything, but from what I understand, Linux (and Mac OS which is basically BSD from what I read) is less prone to viruses because the user/ superuser stuff works differently on Linux/ Mac than Windows. Windows will automatically execute all kinds of shit whereas Linux/ Mac can't or won't.

Lots of folks will point out there are still Linux/ Mac exploits and stuff- like I send you a virus but it won't do anything unless I can somehow convince you to open it, but there aren't any that self-extract or whatever on their own as is the case of Windows stuff.

And yeah, like Ant said, setting up a dual-boot is the easiest way to get both of them going. If you get your hands on an Ubuntu distro, I'm sure i'll have dual-boot setup on there.

I messed around with Linux back about 10 years ago. If you mainly use your computer to program, it's a no brainer. If you want a more secure environment and just basically do web browsing/ email, it's great for that too. I'm about to build a new computer and I'm seriously thinking about sticking Red Hat on my current PC and hooking it up as a web server for my fantasy hockey site.

Have you tried one of the ubuntu live cds leazes?

In case you havnt - you can try ubuntu by booting from a cd rather than your hard drive.

Basically - go to the ubuntu site and dl one of their iso's and burn it to disc. when its finished burning reboot and when your pc 'posts' start tapping f8 (or whichever button lets you choose your boot options).

select to boot from your dvdburner drive and ubuntu will load from the cd - it DOES NOT install. your windows os and all your files are safe and untouched on your har drive.

you are then free to fiddle with ubuntu as much as you like - run programs, go online, check compatibility use openoffice and so on.

once your done, simply log off and restart and let windows boot as normal.

i always keep a few linux live cds to hand in case windows fails on me.

Aye play with a liveCD first, it's nothing like as fast or as stable as having it installed, but most have very high functionality, and usually make you wonder what the hell Windows does to need a hard drive or two. :D

Ubuntu is good, so is something like PClinuxOS (although its new default colour scheme isn't so hot - but it's pretty user friendly, windowish in look and feel and it's nice because it's largely a rolling update OS).

Have you tried one of the ubuntu live cds leazes?

In case you havnt - you can try ubuntu by booting from a cd rather than your hard drive.

Basically - go to the ubuntu site and dl one of their iso's and burn it to disc. when its finished burning reboot and when your pc 'posts' start tapping f8 (or whichever button lets you choose your boot options).

select to boot from your dvdburner drive and ubuntu will load from the cd - it DOES NOT install. your windows os and all your files are safe and untouched on your har drive.

you are then free to fiddle with ubuntu as much as you like - run programs, go online, check compatibility use openoffice and so on.

once your done, simply log off and restart and let windows boot as normal.

i always keep a few linux live cds to hand in case windows fails on me.

that sounds excellent mate, cheers for that, I'll give it a go and see how I find it.

Incidentally, the reason this has surfaced, is because yesterday I was trying to get a link through justin TV [delete this if its not allowed or anything] and my avast shield stopped some virus on one of the link sites. A lad I know has been on to me to get linux for a while, so I'm now wanting to do something about it, but I'm aware that games and other utilities may only work with microsoft. Partitioning my hard disk is an option, but I don't want to lose any setups etc and maybe waiting until I get a new pc would be better.

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

I'd definitely try a few out though (again LiveCD probably), a big mistake with linux is trying one and not liking it so much and giving up - one big difference being GNOME or KDE [3.X or 4.X being quite different], but there are others.

There are a lot of flavours to choose from: http://distrowatch.com/

Although again probably the likes of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, PClinuxOS, Mint, Mandriva are probably worth a go first.

• 2 weeks later...