London vs North East

Douggy B

I cant be arsed to get into the whole debate about any club being special or not. What I will add though is the vast difference being in a small one club city. NUFC is on the vast majority of peoples lips every day. I can walk into any shop, or when I get my hair cut or whatever and the conversation will always get onto NUFC. Its the whole focus of the city. If I go to other cities they may be more rugby lead or may have more than one club. When people think about Newcastle (the city) they think about 1. Geordies and 2. NUFC. Both go hand in hand and have a unique identity. This doesn't make us special or anything, but you have to live here to understand it.

But it does, that's what our cocknee sparra can't quite get :D

How is that different to Sunderland or Boro? If boro sell out (they used to), thats like 1 in 3 of the population attending. Would you call that special?

Would be nice to get an answer on this.

Boro don't sell out and even if they did it wouldn't represent 1 in 3 of the population. Will that do?

Population of Boro: 135K.

142K by some accounts, although I think that figure is still probably misleading, and to do with population area boundaries rather than what would be the Middlesbrough football club fan "catchment area" (i.e. something more like the recently made up "Tees Valley" :D).

Although none of that takes into account that 75% of it should be nuked and that would make the place 100% better.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant be arsed to get into the whole debate about any club being special or not. What I will add though is the vast difference being in a small one club city. NUFC is on the vast majority of peoples lips every day. I can walk into any shop, or when I get my hair cut or whatever and the conversation will always get onto NUFC. Its the whole focus of the city. If I go to other cities they may be more rugby lead or may have more than one club. When people think about Newcastle (the city) they think about 1. Geordies and 2. NUFC. Both go hand in hand and have a unique identity. This doesn't make us special or anything, but you have to live here to understand it.

But it does, that's what our cocknee sparra can't quite get :o

How is that different to Sunderland or Boro? If boro sell out (they used to), thats like 1 in 3 of the population attending. Would you call that special?

The argument's specious though. So what if other clubs are special to their fans? I couldn't care less. The toon is special to geordies....what's it got to do with you?

The argument's specious though. So what if other clubs are special to their fans? I couldn't care less. The toon is special to geordies....what's it got to do with you?

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Boro don't sell out and even if they did it wouldn't represent 1 in 3 of the population. Will that do?

142K by some accounts, although I think that figure is still probably misleading, and to do with population area boundaries rather than what would be the Middlesbrough football club fan "catchment area" (i.e. something more like the recently made up "Tees Valley" :o).

Although none of that takes into account that 75% of it should be nuked and that would make the place 100% better.

There was a report a couple of yearsa ago about boro's support being fantastic when considering the population of Meedlesbuura. However, the fact that Stockton on Tees was never taken into account was a fuckin' huuuuuuge mistake.

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Good. Be seeing you.

They even get a lot of fans from Darlington for some reason :o

Oh and of course, North Yorkshire!

Appropriate as they are a North Yorks club after all.

:o:

142K by some accounts, although I think that figure is still probably misleading, and to do with population area boundaries rather than what would be the Middlesbrough football club fan "catchment area" (i.e. something more like the recently made up "Tees Valley" :o).

There was a report a couple of yearsa ago about boro's support being fantastic when considering the population of Meedlesbuura. However, the fact that Stockton on Tees was never taken into account was a fuckin' huuuuuuge mistake.

Aye, basically the non-existent "Tees Valley" (which I guess is approximately a triangle from Darlington - Hartlepool - Saltburn) would be a fairer representation. Although you still get a lot of Middlesbrough fans as far south as Northallerton and Thirsk.