Iceland

luckyluke

I have been. Went to Reykjavik for five days in 07. I don't know how the financial stuff has really affected things, but back then it was VERY expensive, even more so than Scandinavia. I stayed in the only hostel in Reykjavik and it was noticeably cheaper than any hotel. The bus system is very good so you can get around town easily enough, and any of the bus trip that take to around the geysers and stuff will get you and drop you from the hostel.

Very interesting place, especially if you're into history and Viking culture, but I really felt that five days was a little too long to be honest. I went before Christmas so it was icy and only had six hours of 'daylight' but if you're going soon you'll have a better time of it I expect. At that time of year a lot of roads across the island are closed because of snow so was restricted to time in Reykjavik and the local surrounds. The Icelanders are nutters when it comes to nights out. Pubs won't really start filling up til very late and they'll go all night.

I'd recommend the whole thermal stuff, the blue lagoon, and take a tour to see the northern lights because the guides know where the best places to view them are and the timings and stuff. Just don't go for too long because you will run out of things to do unless you're going with a lot of your doctor money.

Its now quite reasonably priced for beer, about £3.50-£4 a pint, rather then the £7 when i went.

When you arrive at the airport make sure to take advantage of the duty free just before baggage reclaim, alcohol there is alot lot cheaper then anywhere else!

You wont be able to see the northern lights this time of year since it wont be cold enough and dark enough, other then that steve is pretty much spot on.

Did Renton reckon he had Puffin there or did I just make that up? I know they do eat it there.

It wouldnt surprise me, the pervert! :D

Being a puff doesn't make him a pervert.

Sorry, that was fucking shit. :D

Did Renton reckon he had Puffin there or did I just make that up? I know they do eat it there.

If I told you that I was bullshitting. :D

I did see on the menus and would have been happy to give it a go but not at 50 quid a pop.

Anyway, Steve is basically spot on although I managed to stay in a reasonably priced hotel next to some old airfield. Definitely an interesting place and worth going at least once.

If I told you that I was bullshitting. :D

Nah, you probably just mentioned it was on the menu tbf. Apparently Bjork loves it. And yes Rob, I already know you've got all her albums.

Did either of you go anywhere further than Reykjavik?

I only went for a couple of days in March which coinicided with their worst patch of weather that year - the only snow they'd had apparently although there was lots of it. I took a trip to see the geysers and lagoon though. Both are a must - the latter is near the airport and some people who are pressed for time go straight there on the way in or stop off on their way to departure.

I think the rest of the island would be very interesting if you've got the time and money though. You'd probably need to take an internal flight to get to the Northern most areas. There's also a central glacier which will be gone in a decade apparently so see it while you can!