Just how injured or otherwise is Obafemi?

dbsweeney

Obafemi Martins emerged from talks with Alan Shearer today saying he has no rift with Newcastle United's new manager. The Nigeria striker will not be punished for his 11th-hour revelation, made at 11am on Saturday, that groin trouble would prevent him playing at Stoke City that afternoon after telling Shearer that he has been in pain since undergoing a hernia operation in January.

Newcastle's manager was understandably angered by Martins's late withdrawal after his team had spent several days perfecting a 3-4-3 system in which he was to perform an integral role, but it seems Shearer – whose side drew 1-1 at the Britannia Stadium – had not appreciated the full extent of the Nigerian's injury problems.

"I understand why the manager was frustrated because he had to change his plans," said Martins. "But I woke up in so much pain that I knew I could not give 100%, so I decided I couldn't play. I didn't want to let the team down. And, with so many important games coming up, I needed to think about staying fit for the future."

Martins has been playing in pain for weeks, so it was nothing unusual when he went to bed on Friday with a sore groin. Such trouble had, however, been exacerbated during Nigeria's 0-0 World Cup qualifier draw in Mozambique on 29 March when Martins's choice of the wrong pair of boots while playing on a hard pitch had aggravated an injury originally sustained during Newcastle's win at Portsmouth in mid-December.

By the time Martins returned to St James' Park from international duty in Africa Shearer was his new manager. Keen not to displease a man who, the Nigerian's friends claimed, had in the past criticised him during his former role as a BBC Match of the Day pundit, the striker kept his groin problems quiet. It proved the wrong decision as, when Martins awoke in agony on Saturday before accepting he could not be involved at Stoke, Shearer was understandably annoyed.

Martins also neglected to inform the former England captain he was not capable of coping with the high-intensity, high-tempo training sessions which are newly de rigueur at the club.

It now seems that a rapprochement has been reached whereby Martins has made it clear that he has "no problem" with a manager he harbours considerable respect for and Shearer has accepted that his groin problem will need managing between now and the end of the season.

It is also understood that the player appreciates why Shearer, the television pundit, previously expressed frustration with Martins's struggles to harness his blistering pace and ability for Newcastle's overall benefit.

So, what does this mean?

Out for the rest of the season? A few games? WHAT??

Also, what are his chances of staying if we do stay up?

Everyone used to go on about how Wenger was interested in him, but surely not after his injury-riddled season. I can't see many clubs that would be after him, unless someone thinks they can harness a conistency in him that we've only seen in glances this year.

Edited by dbsweeney

It means Oba is a bit of a thick muppet.

If he's been suffering with his groin he should have stayed away from international duty in the back of beyond is the first thing that springs to mind.

Obafemi Martins emerged from talks with Alan Shearer today saying he has no rift with Newcastle United's new manager. The Nigeria striker will not be punished for his 11th-hour revelation, made at 11am on Saturday, that groin trouble would prevent him playing at Stoke City that afternoon after telling Shearer that he has been in pain since undergoing a hernia operation in January.

Newcastle's manager was understandably angered by Martins's late withdrawal after his team had spent several days perfecting a 3-4-3 system in which he was to perform an integral role, but it seems Shearer – whose side drew 1-1 at the Britannia Stadium – had not appreciated the full extent of the Nigerian's injury problems.

"I understand why the manager was frustrated because he had to change his plans," said Martins. "But I woke up in so much pain that I knew I could not give 100%, so I decided I couldn't play. I didn't want to let the team down. And, with so many important games coming up, I needed to think about staying fit for the future."

Martins has been playing in pain for weeks, so it was nothing unusual when he went to bed on Friday with a sore groin. Such trouble had, however, been exacerbated during Nigeria's 0-0 World Cup qualifier draw in Mozambique on 29 March when Martins's choice of the wrong pair of boots while playing on a hard pitch had aggravated an injury originally sustained during Newcastle's win at Portsmouth in mid-December.

By the time Martins returned to St James' Park from international duty in Africa Shearer was his new manager. Keen not to displease a man who, the Nigerian's friends claimed, had in the past criticised him during his former role as a BBC Match of the Day pundit, the striker kept his groin problems quiet. It proved the wrong decision as, when Martins awoke in agony on Saturday before accepting he could not be involved at Stoke, Shearer was understandably annoyed.

Martins also neglected to inform the former England captain he was not capable of coping with the high-intensity, high-tempo training sessions which are newly de rigueur at the club.

It now seems that a rapprochement has been reached whereby Martins has made it clear that he has "no problem" with a manager he harbours considerable respect for and Shearer has accepted that his groin problem will need managing between now and the end of the season.

It is also understood that the player appreciates why Shearer, the television pundit, previously expressed frustration with Martins's struggles to harness his blistering pace and ability for Newcastle's overall benefit.

So, what does this mean?

Out for the rest of the season? A few games? WHAT??

Also, what are his chances of staying if we do stay up?

Everyone used to go on about how Wenger was interested in him, but surely not after his injury-riddled season. I can't see many clubs that would be after him, unless someone thinks they can harness a conistency in him that we've only seen in glances this year.

It means Shearer will bite his lip for the good of the cause - but if we stay up Martins will be gone as sure as night follows day.

I've always had the impression he was just as prone to niggles as Owen without the abuse as Alex says.

This episode is a classic bottleless cunt opt out imo.

Cheeky cunts. Was it the bitchwhore Louise Taylor who penned this shite? :D

Aside from wanting to smash her over the head for the completely unnecessary (and possibly sarcastic) use of 'de rigueur', I've no idea why Louise Taylor is doing Martins' PR. That's a very sympathetic take. First I've heard of Martins playing on an injury and funny how it coincides with him going awol again. As for this bit:

Get to fuck :D

Edited by Big Onion

Imagine the stick Owen would be getting btw.

People would be saying he should never wear the shirt again, but it wasn't him so its fine!

Personally you have to believe him and move on and hope he comes back and does some good, because the other option is he deliberately fucked the team over, potentially costing you points and your surrival in which case he would have to go!

Regardless of whether he lied or not i'd get rid of him in the summer anyway, especially if we can get our money back for him.

Who would they replace him with though? For all his issues (on field and off) he is still one of the clubs better players. :D

We seem to be determined to sell players only to replace them with worse ones. :D

I bet if you added up the amount that Martins has spent on the sidelines in relation to Owen they wouldnt be very far off.

We are just cursed with injury prone strikers thats all it is!

Jonas doesnt seem to be in favour at the minute and with Martins out also where is the pace coming from? our team is too fat and slow man :D