Lap Top TV Output

JawD

So, I've got a LCD Tv at work and have hooked up an old Lap top to it. During start up the display is showing on both lap top and tv. When windows starts the TV goes black. I tried first pressing the usual FN+F5 to switch display modes but for some reason the lap top isnt responding to that (though the F5 key is the right one for this lap top). Ive went into display settings and I can tick the second monitor and choose extend display and this then operates as dual monitors. So I can move the mouse from the lap top screen to the TV screen etc. But thats not what I want. I just want a simple clone of my lap top screen. If I stop extending then the TV goes black.

Im convinced I need to get the F5 function to work and am lost to why its not.

Im running Vista and its a clean install. I've checked the BIOS and there is nothing there.

Any idea's?

If you don't need the laptop screen showing at the same time can you tell it when close lid not to do anything and then close the lid and see if it comes up on the t.v?

My Vista comes up mirrors automatically when I plug it in.

Have you tried plugging the laptop in before you turn the TV on just incase it isnt detecting properly.

If you don't need the laptop screen showing at the same time can you tell it when close lid not to do anything and then close the lid and see if it comes up on the t.v?

Yeah, need the lap top on at the same time

Have you tried plugging the laptop in before you turn the TV on just incase it isnt detecting properly.

Yeah, tried that also.

Oddly, I have another lap top and when I use that one it mirrors right away. But, as this one shows the extended desktop or normal loading screen when booting, Im convinced its a windows setting rather than hardware.

Yeah, tried that also.

Oddly, I have another lap top and when I use that one it mirrors right away. But, as this one shows the extended desktop or normal loading screen when booting, Im convinced its a windows setting rather than hardware.

I used to have one which was HP where you right clicked on the desktop and it came up with an option for "Nvidia" or something like that.

It gave me loads of options in that to set up a second screen. After that Im out of ideas.

Sort of talking out of my ass here, but two thoughts spring to mind immediately-

1. Have you tried plugging in the TV after Windows fully boots?

2. Check your power options in control panel. Could be some kind of power saver kind of deal where since it sees you've plugged in an external monitor, it's killing your screen. Might not necessarily be in your display options...

Edited by Cid_MCDP

check you've go the correct drivers installed for your graphics card, update them etc

Seems thats what it was. Removed the drivers, downloaded the up to date ones and worked fine.