The PL now dominates Europe.

Park Life

"Another season, another whitewash. Or, at least, a whitewash with a big red cross of St George in it and some red and yellow representing Catalonia floating dangerously around the edges.

Europe tipped its collective hat to the Barclays Premier League yesterday after, for the third consecutive year, three English clubs reached the Champions League semi-finals. The final will have at least one English participant for the fifth successive season. This feat is a once-in-a-decade phenomenon that seems to coincide with a period of unquestioned dominance. The last league to do it was Serie A, when seven Italian clubs reached the final between 1992 and 1998. Before that, English sides reached six consecutive finals between 1977 and 1982, Dutch clubs managed it for five years between 1968 and 1973, and Spanish sides reached the final for seven consecutive seasons, from 1956 to 1962.

It is hard to question this kind of dominance, unthinkable to chalk it up to freak results. The Premier League is clearly ahead, at least in terms of depth, and money has a lot to do with it. But it is not the only thing that matters, Eduardo Suárez suggested in El Mundo, the Spanish newspaper. “The origins of the supremacy lie with their economic means, but that alone cannot explain everything,” he wrote. “The culture and mentality of the clubs also matter, as does planning. There is more patience in England than in Spain, less urgency about getting instant results. Managers like [sir Alex] Ferguson, [Rafael] Benítez and [Arsene] Wenger would not have survived the pressure to win instantly that afflicts the big Spanish clubs.”

The “money” argument was also dispelled to some degree in the French press. Writing in L’Equipe, Ángel Marcos, the former Nantes striker turned pundit, pointed out the success of Villarreal and Porto, clubs with relatively modest means, in reaching the quarter-finals. Marcos maintained that the annual budgets of Villarreal and Porto — £65 million respectively — are not out of line with those of the bigger French clubs such as Lyons (£128 million), Marseilles (£75 million) and Bordeaux (£57 million). And yet, he wrote, Villarreal and Porto achieved some measure of success, whereas the French clubs have not."

Rest of very good article here..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6108213.ece

For me a big part is how long Fergie and Wengie have been at their respective clubs.

Also, the relative failure of English clubs in the Uefa Cup in recent years shows the massive gap between the big four and the rest too imo.

Also, the relative failure of English clubs in the Uefa Cup in recent years shows the massive gap between the big four and the rest too imo.

Some of the English clubs have not really been trying though.

Some of the English clubs have not really been trying though.

Very true.

If a half decent English club gives 100% in the UEFA Cup they usually go quite far... Boro a few seasons ago for example. And before that we got to the quarter and semi finals, and really should have went further tbh.

I honestly think that if Villa, and possibly even Spurs, could have went really far in the UEFA Cup this season if they weren't distracted by Premier League issues, that realistically were not going to happen, i.e. Villa finishing 4th, and Spurs being relegated.

All to do with money, its a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think Spurs probably regret not giving it more of a go tbh. I think the trophy was there for the taking.

By which you mean? Obssesed BTW.

I think Spurs probably regret not giving it more of a go tbh. I think the trophy was there for the taking.

Sorry Alex, I'm not one to correct your often correct words but honestly the only thing spurs will ever regret is the fact they're not Arsenal.

I wasn't even trying either. Were Spurs not in the Uefa Cup then? What a flange :D

Spurs virtually chucked it but while I can understand why (League Cup, still struggling in the league) but with hindsight they could have won the thing. That was all I meant.

Surely what he is saying is fairly obvious? Spurs were one of the best teams in the tournament and more than capable of winning it had Saggyface not put the youth team out against Shaktar Donetsk.

Apart from anything, what he was saying was complimentary to Spurs. Unfortunately, since you've taken such a pasting on this board over the last week, you're not thinking straight so you're just posting without reading the post you are replying to.

Honestly, next time you think about posting, take a deep breath, engage your brain, think about whether what you are about to post makes sense, and then press the 'Add Reply' button.

Anyway, it's Friday and you'll soon be able to put this week behind you.

Guest Stevie

I think most managers put the UEFA Cup third at best in terms of importance, Aston Villa aren't a great side, but it was barely a reserve side they played against CSKA, same with all of them. Look in 2004 and 2005, we dispatched the Dutch, Swiss and Greek champions, without battering an eye lid, and we weren't a great side we were 14th in 2005. I think if Villa and even Everton another vastly overrated side, went all out to win the UEFA Cup they would go far. Maybe the rebranding of the competition would give it fresh impetus, but I don't know.

Rangers are shit they genuinely are shit. No disrespect to Scottish readers, but I believe every club in the Premiership are better than Celtic and Rangers, yet the huns made it to the final.

As for the assertion money even plays that big a part, no English club spends as much as Inter Milan or Real Madrid (maybe Chelsea for 2 seasons) but no one else. It;s shear jealousy, Platini is a total aunt, he's moaning English sides are dominating, now this was Italian or Spanish clubs nothing would be mentioned. The whole of Europe is jealous and will find reasons to belittle the achievements of English football in the last 10 years. I love it when they say it's because of "the foreign influx", strange then that two of Liverpool's best three players are English, 14 British/Irish players make up Man Utd's first team squad, and Lampard and Terry are Chelsea's most important players. Even in Germany you have promoted sides like Hoffenheim who have spent more than WBA or Hull, Greek non-entities like Olympiakos paying eight figure fees annually for players.

The English League is the strongest on so many levels, support, finance, structure, history, it's the biggest, most succesful, envied, historical annual sporting structure the world has ever known or will ever know.

I can see why he did it. We needed prem points and we got them. Ironically we are in with a shout of getting their next year now.

I can see why he did it also and it makes me laugh that these managers/players stress the importance of getting a European place. It seems to me that the only team who took it seriously were Man City as they were midtable and had nothing else to play for. At the time they went out, Spurs were towards the bottom of the league and Villa were challenging for a CL spot, so they prioritised elsewhere.

Once upon a time the UEFA Cup was fairly prestigious but now it ranks on a par or below the League Cup.

I can see why he did it. We needed prem points and we got them. Ironically we are in with a shout of getting their next year now.

I can see why he did it also and it makes me laugh that these managers/players stress the importance of getting a European place. It seems to me that the only team who took it seriously were Man City as they were midtable and had nothing else to play for. At the time they went out, Spurs were towards the bottom of the league and Villa were challenging for a CL spot, so they prioritised elsewhere.

Once upon a time the UEFA Cup was fairly prestigious but now it ranks on a par or below the League Cup.

It because the format is all wrong. If it went back to straight knock instead of all this qualifying rubbish, chip off the CL drop outs it would be a great competition.

Too many games.

I think most managers put the UEFA Cup third at best in terms of importance, Aston Villa aren't a great side, but it was barely a reserve side they played against CSKA, same with all of them. Look in 2004 and 2005, we dispatched the Dutch, Swiss and Greek champions, without battering an eye lid, and we weren't a great side we were 14th in 2005. I think if Villa and even Everton another vastly overrated side, went all out to win the UEFA Cup they would go far. Maybe the rebranding of the competition would give it fresh impetus, but I don't know.

Rangers are shit they genuinely are shit. No disrespect to Scottish readers, but I believe every club in the Premiership are better than Celtic and Rangers, yet the huns made it to the final.

As for the assertion money even plays that big a part, no English club spends as much as Inter Milan or Real Madrid (maybe Chelsea for 2 seasons) but no one else. It;s shear jealousy, Platini is a total aunt, he's moaning English sides are dominating, now this was Italian or Spanish clubs nothing would be mentioned. The whole of Europe is jealous and will find reasons to belittle the achievements of English football in the last 10 years. I love it when they say it's because of "the foreign influx", strange then that two of Liverpool's best three players are English, 14 British/Irish players make up Man Utd's first team squad, and Lampard and Terry are Chelsea's most important players. Even in Germany you have promoted sides like Hoffenheim who have spent more than WBA or Hull, Greek non-entities like Olympiakos paying eight figure fees annually for players.

The English League is the strongest on so many levels, support, finance, structure, history, it's the biggest, most succesful, envied, historical annual sporting structure the world has ever known or will ever know.

:D

It because the format is all wrong. If it went back to straight knock instead of all this qualifying rubbish, chip off the CL drop outs it would be a great competition.

Too many games.

The straight knock out would sort it, some of the matches in the group stages are a farce.

I can't understand why they changed it. I don't think TV companies pay big money for UEFA TV rights. I remember a few years ago when Millwall (granted nnot the best example) got in and Bravo ended up paying £10k for the rights. They probably paid more for Fash FC.

Too many games.

The straight knock out would sort it, some of the matches in the group stages are a farce.

I can't understand why they changed it. I don't think TV companies pay big money for UEFA TV rights. I remember a few years ago when Millwall (granted nnot the best example) got in and Bravo ended up paying £10k for the rights. They probably paid more for Fash FC.

The year we got to the semi's the competition earner us 2 million total in TV revenue.

The league stages just arent worth squat.

Guest Stevie

Too many games.

The year we got to the semi's the competition earner us 2 million total in TV revenue.

The league stages just arent worth squat.

What you on about semi's? Your best European performance in the last 25 years are two last 16 exits, and a quarter final. Any proper club should hang their head in shame if they don't get to the last eight of the competition as well. Funny when we did make the semi's like not made up version of semi's like you've just done hoping no one would notice, we made £11m from it, then again the TV people will give us more money, on the back of much bigger viewing figures.

:D:icon_lol: Magic!! If there was a 'taking his hat off in admiration' smiley, I would insert it here.

That league stage is ridiculous.

You play each team in your group, once, either home or away? Then the CL drop outs come into it.

As others are saying, straight knock-out is the way to go.

Guest Stevie

:icon_lol::) Magic!! If there was a 'taking his hat off in admiration' smiley, I would insert it here.

That's what comes up on predictive text :D