Daily Mirror Article

Sir Bob Almighty!

By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 15/04/2009

Alan Shearer's appointment as Newcastle boss may not yet have saved the Magpies, but it seems some old battle lines have been re-drawn.

On Tyneside, there is no doubt that Shearer has united the club for the final six games. He's given renewed focus on the terraces and, until the end of the season at least, he has calmed an incendiary situation and given United a chance of escaping relegation.

But outside the region opinions seem divided. About the former No9 and his merits as a boss. About Newcastle United and its fans.

So perhaps it is time for a bit of myth-busting about Newcastle United, as this crazy season reaches a climax.

Here are a few theories punted by some observers in the last two weeks, that rile the local faithful the most:

a) Geordie fans think they are the special ones: special club, special fans. They think they have a divine right to be in the top flight, and be successful - but they're not really a big club.

:D The club is run on the basis of tapping into the sentimentality of fools. One former legend or big name after another is trusted with reviving the teams fortunes, and reviving hope on the terraces, instead of finding a proper coach and sticking with him long term.

c) Shearer is a dour egotist who has only taken the helm to pocket a huge bonus if they stay up, and to walk away blameless if they go down.

I admit that Newcastle deserve almost all the muck thrown at them this season. It's been an awful season to watch unfold - one that Les Ferdinand described last week as the most "mad, crazy and chaotic in the history of football".

Owner Mike Ashley has stripped the club of its dignity (and a good few talented players), made stupid appointments and bad investments, and given the circumstances it will be a miracle if United pull through. The criticism will be hard, unremitting and deserved.

But some charges don't add up. What riles the most is the mocking tone that seeps through from some quarters that somehow what Newcastle United, Alan Shearer and its fans stand for is a bit sad these day. That there is something that's wrong with what the club is all about.

I have never heard Newcastle fans claiming to be more special than the next club. Or that they are more loyal or more deserving of success than others. Instead I hear them marvelling at the noise at Anfield, and even Stoke last weekend. Expressing appreciation for the job David Moyes has done at Everton.

I see 50,000 turning up every week to watch an ailing club who have not won anything for 40 years. I see regional tribalism at its magnificent best, especially among the away supporters.

Advertisement - article continues below »

I see a fan base passionate about its local community and ready to defend its place in the world, whether that be their football club or the merits of living and working on Tyneside.

I live in a city consumed by the state of its football team. Its only football team. And everywhere you turn it is the main subject of debate.

I see the same passions down the road at bitter rivals Sunderland, even though the two sets of fans, who regionally and economically share the same concerns and wishes, will never see eye to eye.

In my book, that is what supporting a club is all about.

Senitimental? What is wrong with finding a playing icon like Shearer - who taps in to and understands the Geordie tribalism - and making him boss? Likewise Sir Bobby Robson. Local heroes who can galvanise a city.

And what about that often posed accusation - Shearer can't lose, he's doing it for the money? No chance. He doesn't need the extra million quid. He doesn't need the aggravation.

But when he looked from the outside at the desperate situation Newcastle were in, he couldn't walk away once asked to help out.

He's stepped into the storm and is trying to guide a team he hasn't bought, for an owner he has criticised, out of a dire league situation not of his making. That doesn't sound like a cushy ego trip to me.

Newcastle bring more than most to the Premiership table. They are way more entertaining to cover than the top four.

The ups and downs, the extremes of emotions, the chaos. But also the precious good times. Like being one goal away from the Champions' League quarter finals, 20 minutes away from the UEFA Cup semi-final. (It's easy to forget both happened in the last five years)

The Premier League will miss Newcastle if they go down. For the madness, for the black and white hordes, for the big personalities and because - love or loathe them - the club is box-office.

Despite the way they have been run this season, the neutral should be praying they remain part of the top flight circus.

That sums it all up for me, amazing article! Was a pleasure to read it really was.

Sorry if this has already been posted :icon_lol:

:):panic::rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang on. Bit like what I was trying (ok maybe not very well) to say to Danny the other day. How we are all consumend by it, how it is our special club but thats not taking away anything from what other fans think of their club. On the note, I do think Stoke need to be applauded for their home support.

Guest Stevie
Bang on. Bit like what I was trying (ok maybe not very well) to say to Danny the other day. How we are all consumend by it, how it is our special club but thats not taking away anything from what other fans think of their club. On the note, I do think Stoke need to be applauded for their home support.

No they don't. They are like Portsmouth who are similarly wank fans. Go to Fratton Park now the atmosphere is dead, the realisation has set in they're not really a Premiership club, and like Stoke they will soon be where they belong. Stoke are still in first season syndrome. When we came up I'm sorry like but the atmosphere at St James' would rival anywhere in the world, Stoke are essentially on a one season jolly up, their crowds have almost trebled, give them three years in the Premiership and the atmosphere there will be wank. When Sunderland came up in 1999 the atmosphere at the SOS, far exceeded that of the Britannia, Barnsley made Oakwell intimidating, and the likes of Wolves have done exactly the same. It always amazes me that people fall in to the trap of praising the supports of promoted clubs, and Stoke in particular. Stoke City as a club and as a support in my view are some of the biggest tossers this league has ever known in my time watching football, they are shit fans on their one season jolly up, I have no respect for them and as I said they are no different from any other club that's been promoted.

As for us, being a resident of Newcastle I think we are a special club, we are unique and I would argue that point with anywhere and to be fair anyone that's ever played here will tell you really have to live here to understand how unique. Sir Les and Mick Quinn seems to say it every week.

No they don't. They are like Portsmouth who are similarly wank fans. Go to Fratton Park now the atmosphere is dead, the realisation has set in they're not really a Premiership club, and like Stoke they will soon be where they belong. Stoke are still in first season syndrome. When we came up I'm sorry like but the atmosphere at St James' would rival anywhere in the world, Stoke are essentially on a one season jolly up, their crowds have almost trebled, give them three years in the Premiership and the atmosphere there will be wank. When Sunderland came up in 1999 the atmosphere at the SOS, far exceeded that of the Britannia, Barnsley made Oakwell intimidating, and the likes of Wolves have done exactly the same. It always amazes me that people fall in to the trap of praising the supports of promoted clubs, and Stoke in particular. Stoke City as a club and as a support in my view are some of the biggest tossers this league has ever known in my time watching football, they are shit fans on their one season jolly up, I have no respect for them and as I said they are no different from any other club that's been promoted.

As for us, being a resident of Newcastle I think we are a special club, we are unique and I would argue that point with anywhere and to be fair anyone that's ever played here will tell you really have to live here to understand how unique. Sir Les and Mick Quinn seems to say it every week.

:D

Guest Stevie

Think you are harking back to the good old days when we were on the up and players used to mingle with fans both at training and on the quayside.

Will oba remember it like sir les, will jonas gush with watery eyes.... I doubt it.

And who are we to pour scorn on Stoke. The atmosphere currently is great and that's what makes a game enjoyable. So what if they go down and lose some fans.

Same will happen to us.

When was the last time we had an atmosphere like Stokes. They had the so called 12th man.

There's a good crowd and talking a good crowd!

It's hitting you in the face mate, every club who comes up is the same, everyone. I'm not even on about our support today neither. The uniqueness of NUFC goes far beyond the bricks and motar of St James' Park as well, I think you miss my point utterly.

And what was their excuse for the game the season before? the worst FA cup 3rd round game ever? Their support then was spot on even though it was a freezing Sunday in January and on telly. Admittedly, they were scum, horrible kids spoiling for a fight but they made enough noise.

Guest Stevie

And what was their excuse for the game the season before? the worst FA cup 3rd round game ever? Their support then was spot on even though it was a freezing Sunday in January and on telly. Admittedly, they were scum, horrible kids spoiling for a fight but they made enough noise.

The fact it was their biggest game in a few years, their words not mine may have had something to do with it. In 1991, I was part of one or two league crowds of under 15,000 worst in our history, the ground was dead, yet we played Forest in the Cup and there was 34,000 there creating one o fthe best atmospheres in years. It's a moot point. As a club they haven't averaged over 20,000 for 30 years, they are a shit club, and a piss poor support. In the bad old days at SJP they never brung more than 300 here, there's at least 30 clubs in England withbetter support, and you will see after they get bored of it, not that they will have a chance as they won't be here long.

And their manager is a cunt... Can't stand the style of Pulis' football. Fucking clown with his baseball cap. Brian Clough used to say "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there." Or something like that...

Another point: Does throwing a bottle towards a Newcastle player make them good supporters? Tossers.

Which British clubs' fans do you rate Stevie?

By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 15/04/2009

a) Geordie fans think they are the special ones: special club, special fans. They think they have a divine right to be in the top flight, and be successful - but they're not really a big club.

:D The club is run on the basis of tapping into the sentimentality of fools. One former legend or big name after another is trusted with reviving the teams fortunes, and reviving hope on the terraces, instead of finding a proper coach and sticking with him long term.

c) Shearer is a dour egotist who has only taken the helm to pocket a huge bonus if they stay up, and to walk away blameless if they go down.

?Has this Simon Bird fella been reading my posts :icon_lol:

and what do Spurs fans think they are?

DVD1313.jpg

:D

And? Its was the 125 aniversary game, where we came back from 4-1. If we had lost 6-0 they would have still done a dvd.

How special :D

I'm not really sure what you are getting at Tom.

Have you even been to bed yet? I go out last night, you're here, I get back you're here. Go out this morning, you're here, get back, you're here.

24/7 TBH.

Fancy a Newcastle fan on a Newcastle forum :D

At least I have a reason to actually be here.

Get out there Tom, its not good being couped up the whole time.

I think you mean ''Cooped'', however I am out plenty thanks :D

You're really struggling these days Danny!

2/10

Must try Harder.

How are you out plenty if you are on here all the time? I am worried about your welfare. Physically, mentally and socially.

Browsing Newcastle forums from phone.

Second highest Poster today.

Highest poster yesterday.

3000 posts in less than a year.

Editing wikipedia articles on Newcastle United then denying it.

Are you sure you're a Spurs fan?