Daily Mirror Article

Sir Bob Almighty!

Excellent article which almost uniquely for a journalist writing about NUFC just stuck to actual facts and observations he'd genuinely made from amongst the fans and the city, instead of the usual approach of make up a load of criticisms of all toon fans as if they're one giant single entity and then deride them for these criticisms you yourself made up!

From my time at uni and also at work i've known alot of people from round this country and abroad who've made their home here and they end up coming to the same conclusions as this guy. They realise we don't all think we're the biggest club in the universe and deserve to win every trophy going, we're just proud of our club and city and lets be honest don't think we'll win anything for years to come!

They also pick up on the fact the city is singularly obsessed with the football club in a way which most others aren't, doesn't mean there aren't other football clubs with massive and ferverent support, just that in this city it seemes to dominate everything and everyone.

Also outside observers just don't get why Shearer makes a difference, why we wanted Keegan back and why Keegan worked so miraculously in the first place. And they never will get it so they resort to petty, sneering, smugness about the club and its fans, writing more column inches about us than anyone yet claiming we don't matter, can't have it both ways i'm afraid.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How special :D

I'm not really sure what you are getting at Tom.

Have you even been to bed yet? I go out last night, you're here, I get back you're here. Go out this morning, you're here, get back, you're here.

24/7 TBH.

Danny,

TBH mate you have to be on here all the time yourself to know Toms always on here. Surely you cant post as much on a Spurs board as you do here?

I,m just preying we win tmoz because I really couldn't deal with you bleating your ass off all day tmoz if you win, I think I'll have to leave the forum for the day!!!!!!

Bang on. Bit like what I was trying (ok maybe not very well) to say to Danny the other day. How we are all consumend by it, how it is our special club but thats not taking away anything from what other fans think of their club. On the note, I do think Stoke need to be applauded for their home support.

No they don't. They are like Portsmouth who are similarly wank fans. Go to Fratton Park now the atmosphere is dead, the realisation has set in they're not really a Premiership club, and like Stoke they will soon be where they belong. Stoke are still in first season syndrome. When we came up I'm sorry like but the atmosphere at St James' would rival anywhere in the world, Stoke are essentially on a one season jolly up, their crowds have almost trebled, give them three years in the Premiership and the atmosphere there will be wank. When Sunderland came up in 1999 the atmosphere at the SOS, far exceeded that of the Britannia, Barnsley made Oakwell intimidating, and the likes of Wolves have done exactly the same. It always amazes me that people fall in to the trap of praising the supports of promoted clubs, and Stoke in particular. Stoke City as a club and as a support in my view are some of the biggest tossers this league has ever known in my time watching football, they are shit fans on their one season jolly up, I have no respect for them and as I said they are no different from any other club that's been promoted.

As for us, being a resident of Newcastle I think we are a special club, we are unique and I would argue that point with anywhere and to be fair anyone that's ever played here will tell you really have to live here to understand how unique. Sir Les and Mick Quinn seems to say it every week.

Great minds, and all that. I was thinking the exact same thing the other day regarding Barnsley being an example of a club coming up and their fans hoodwinking all and sundry into believing it was like that all the time. The truth is that these small clubs come up and immediately create an atmosphere as if it's a sixth-form party where one or two wine gums have been eaten. WBA were lauded as the same fantastic fans the season they were up, yet nowt is heard about them now (I still think the Baggies fans are better than Stoke's will ever be btw). Stoke are having their day in the sun playing a brand of football that should really have inverted commas either side of it - it stinks. Next season will be problems for them as Pullis will have to decide to try and play the same shite again, or try to change and play real football; either way, they will struggle and their 'magnificent' support will fade and die - just like Barnsley's did. I could be wrong though :D

Bang on. Bit like what I was trying (ok maybe not very well) to say to Danny the other day. How we are all consumend by it, how it is our special club but thats not taking away anything from what other fans think of their club. On the note, I do think Stoke need to be applauded for their home support.

No they don't. They are like Portsmouth who are similarly wank fans. Go to Fratton Park now the atmosphere is dead, the realisation has set in they're not really a Premiership club, and like Stoke they will soon be where they belong. Stoke are still in first season syndrome. When we came up I'm sorry like but the atmosphere at St James' would rival anywhere in the world, Stoke are essentially on a one season jolly up, their crowds have almost trebled, give them three years in the Premiership and the atmosphere there will be wank. When Sunderland came up in 1999 the atmosphere at the SOS, far exceeded that of the Britannia, Barnsley made Oakwell intimidating, and the likes of Wolves have done exactly the same. It always amazes me that people fall in to the trap of praising the supports of promoted clubs, and Stoke in particular. Stoke City as a club and as a support in my view are some of the biggest tossers this league has ever known in my time watching football, they are shit fans on their one season jolly up, I have no respect for them and as I said they are no different from any other club that's been promoted.

As for us, being a resident of Newcastle I think we are a special club, we are unique and I would argue that point with anywhere and to be fair anyone that's ever played here will tell you really have to live here to understand how unique. Sir Les and Mick Quinn seems to say it every week.

Great minds, and all that. I was thinking the exact same thing the other day regarding Barnsley being an example of a club coming up and their fans hoodwinking all and sundry into believing it was like that all the time. The truth is that these small clubs come up and immediately create an atmosphere as if it's a sixth-form party where one or two wine gums have been eaten. WBA were lauded as the same fantastic fans the season they were up, yet nowt is heard about them now (I still think the Baggies fans are better than Stoke's will ever be btw). Stoke are having their day in the sun playing a brand of football that should really have inverted commas either side of it - it stinks. Next season will be problems for them as Pullis will have to decide to try and play the same shite again, or try to change and play real football; either way, they will struggle and their 'magnificent' support will fade and die - just like Barnsley's did. I could be wrong though :icon_lol:

Would you swap their home atmosphere for ours at the moment and their brand of (winning) football for ours at the moment? :D

Edited by JawD

well i wouldnt want to watch there football at all, but swapping shit for shit does not make much difference if you ask me.

i think shearer will be trying to make us play better too

Edited by charvski

Have you even been to bed yet? I go out last night, you're here, I get back you're here. Go out this morning, you're here, get back, you're here.

24/7 TBH.

:icon_lol: Says the Spurs fan who's on a NUFC board 24/7...

Edited by KingKev

24/7 TBH.

:icon_lol: Says the Spurs fan who's on a NUFC board 24/7...

He's just sounding pitiful now isn't he? :)

Guest Stevie

Which British clubs' fans do you rate Stevie?

Newcastle and Man Utd are the only two supports worth their salt over a long period of time in my view. In terms of lower league sides I think Brighton, Brentford, and in recent years certainly, Oxford deserve some respect. All proper supports. Scottish sides, I don't think there's any in Scotland sadly.

Guest Stevie

Great minds, and all that. I was thinking the exact same thing the other day regarding Barnsley being an example of a club coming up and their fans hoodwinking all and sundry into believing it was like that all the time. The truth is that these small clubs come up and immediately create an atmosphere as if it's a sixth-form party where one or two wine gums have been eaten. WBA were lauded as the same fantastic fans the season they were up, yet nowt is heard about them now (I still think the Baggies fans are better than Stoke's will ever be btw). Stoke are having their day in the sun playing a brand of football that should really have inverted commas either side of it - it stinks. Next season will be problems for them as Pullis will have to decide to try and play the same shite again, or try to change and play real football; either way, they will struggle and their 'magnificent' support will fade and die - just like Barnsley's did. I could be wrong though :D

Them points highlighted, it's got me baffled that someone of Peasepud's age hasn't considered them, all those points are so true. Especially the West Brom one, WBA are a better supported club than Stoke with more dedicated fans than they will ever have, a bigger club without doubt, when they came up in 2004 or whenever their support was gettin all the plaudits, 3000 away every game.....this season they took 180 to Sunderland, that said they are 10 times the support Stoke will ever be, I'm just baffled by idiotic comments on here praising Stoke's support. The FA Cup praise oh dear.

Guest Stevie
Think you are both a bit deluded.

This started off with JawD saying stokes home support was good / vocal. It was

Our home support is pants.

End of, really, before you both go fannying off into the history books.

Stokes crowd was booing everytime one of our players got the ball. They were trying to make it difficult. Most of the times at st. james you can hear the pidgeons breaking wind in the rafters.

This board is getting utterly wank.

Guest Stevie
Think you are both a bit deluded.

This started off with JawD saying stokes home support was good / vocal. It was

Our home support is pants.

End of, really, before you both go fannying off into the history books.

Stokes crowd was booing everytime one of our players got the ball. They were trying to make it difficult. Most of the times at st. james you can hear the pidgeons breaking wind in the rafters.

This board is getting utterly wank.

fyp

Find a new board :D

Joined: December 16th 2008 in district 5 heading to the Galleries for Sunday lunch[/ mackem denial]

Guest Stevie
There's nothing more needs saying mate. From: Tyne and Wear

As are you.

Unfortunately its fans like you that make us appear a laughing stock. :D

:icon_lol::):panic:

Guest Stevie

As are you.

:icon_lol::):panic:

Did you not get it?

The " we are so special and everyone else is wank" fan like you, makes everyday matchgoing fans like me / us , look complete tossers to the rest of the country. Your tacky little brush tars us all.

Nar we were special till the SKY bandwagon of 1993, with thousands of clueless tossers jumping on board, no doubt much like yourself, in fact I would offer odds of 6/1 that you had seen a Newcastle game before 1992. A proportion of our support of today disgusts me, especially the segment like you who care what external people think, THAT is a fact, but luckily not all of our support are mugs just yet.

Guest Stevie

As are you.

:):panic::rolleyes:

Did you not get it?

The " we are so special and everyone else is wank" fan like you, makes everyday matchgoing fans like me / us , look complete tossers to the rest of the country. Your tacky little brush tars us all.

Nar we were special till the SKY bandwagon of 1993, with thousands of clueless tossers jumping on board, no doubt much like yourself, in fact I would offer odds of 6/1 that you had seen a Newcastle game before 1992. A proportion of our support of today disgusts me, especially the segment like you who care what external people think, THAT is a fact, but luckily not all of our support are mugs just yet.

Stoke is wank

This board is wank

Newcastle fans are wank

Anger Management me thinks. Would love to see your physcometric test. :icon_lol:

Why? If you died tomorrow I wouldn't notice or care. Baffles me why you would like to see the results of test about someone you don't know.

Guest Stevie

As are you.

Did you not get it?

Stoke is wank

This board is wank

Newcastle fans are wank

Anger Management me thinks. Would love to see your physcometric test. :icon_lol:

Why? If you died tomorrow I wouldn't notice or care. Baffles me why you would like to see the results of test about someone you don't know.

I am the sort of person who....

A. Easily establishes rapport with reports.

B. Influences the course of meetings.

C. Speaks coherently.

D. Encourages colleagues to meet objectives.

E. Wank

A. Writes creatively.

B. Seeks answers to problems.

C. Is effective in communicating requirements.

D. Is aware of costs.

E. Wank

Do you want a medal?

Guest Stevie

As are you.

Did you not get it?

Stoke is wank

This board is wank

Newcastle fans are wank

C. Speaks coherently.

E. Wank

A. Writes creatively.

D. Is aware of costs.

E. Wank

Do you want a medal?

No. Goodnight

Goodnight. Sleep well.

By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 15/04/2009

a) Geordie fans think they are the special ones: special club, special fans. They think they have a divine right to be in the top flight, and be successful - but they're not really a big club.

:D The club is run on the basis of tapping into the sentimentality of fools. One former legend or big name after another is trusted with reviving the teams fortunes, and reviving hope on the terraces, instead of finding a proper coach and sticking with him long term.

c) Shearer is a dour egotist who has only taken the helm to pocket a huge bonus if they stay up, and to walk away blameless if they go down.

?Has this Simon Bird fella been reading my posts :icon_lol:

Could you be any more stupid? If you didn't undertand the article it would be best for you if you didn't post.

Honestly you would think that for all your closet love you should actually know something about the club that makes up a large sum of your identity (sad isn't it).

As are you.

Did you not get it?

Nar we were special till the SKY bandwagon of 1993, with thousands of clueless tossers jumping on board/ A proportion of our support of today disgusts me, especially the segment like you who care what external people think, THAT is a fact, but luckily not all of our support are mugs just yet.

:rolleyes::icon_lol: so very true

How special :icon_lol:

24/7 TBH.

He will leave us @ the end of the season waving goodbye as we drop from the prem, you mark my words, hes only in it for the money! :D

well i wouldnt want to watch there football at all, but swapping shit for shit does not make much difference if you ask me.

i think shearer will be trying to make us play better too

My point was that Stoke's shite football has them on 39 points and at this minute, I'd be much happier if we had that many. On the support, why is it so difficult to acknowledge that the Atmosphere at Stoke this season has been good? I couldnt give a shite the reasons for it etc, the point is its been good.

But hey, what do I know. Since I moved away from West Denton I stopped being able to make rational observations. :D

I couldnt give a fuck what the reasons are behind their support being louder, more passionate and more of an asset to their team than ours, the simple fact of life is that they have been.

I think Stoke fans are wank (© Stevie) they have that horrible small club mentality of "lets fuck the big boys" but at the end of the day they achieve what they set out to do and thats intimidate the away team and galvanise their own. The day we as supporters can do that again then I'll be happy but I see it as never happening until we're back up there fighting for the Champions League spots.

We as supporters do not seem to have the fight and passion for this scrap. Never have the words "you only sing when you're winning" been so apt as they are for us. Back in the mid 90s SJP was the place to be, the ground that everyone feared to come to. A wall of noise, intimidating atmosphere and solid behind the team support. Nowadays its quiet moaning and mutterings about how shite things are. Thats not down to "wank" fans or glory hunters that appeared in 93. After all they will have been the very same glory hunters that made the wall of noise in 96. No, its down to the shit we've been served up over the past few years, the constant stream of new managers each one shitter than the one before. The lies, the mistrust and the baffling on and off field decisions.

We've lost our priorities as fans, yes we want to be entertained and yes we want to see us winning but if we're not then we should be doing our bit to help it along. The first part of that process is the realisation that we are not the best fans in the world, far from it.

Yes, we are loyal and yes we are passionate but are we the best fans? are we fuck. The sooner we all realise that then the sooner we can start to do something about it.

As are you.

Unfortunately its fans like you that make us appear a laughing stock. :nufc:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Did you not get it?

Stoke is wank

This board is wank

Newcastle fans are wank

Anger Management me thinks. Would love to see your physcometric test. :wacko:

C. Speaks coherently.

E. Wank

A. Writes creatively.

D. Is aware of costs.

E. Wank

:icon_lol:

I couldnt give a fuck what the reasons are behind their support being louder, more passionate and more of an asset to their team than ours, the simple fact of life is that they have been.

I think Stoke fans are wank (© Stevie) they have that horrible small club mentality of "lets fuck the big boys" but at the end of the day they achieve what they set out to do and thats intimidate the away team and galvanise their own. The day we as supporters can do that again then I'll be happy but I see it as never happening until we're back up there fighting for the Champions League spots.

We as supporters do not seem to have the fight and passion for this scrap. Never have the words "you only sing when you're winning" been so apt as they are for us. Back in the mid 90s SJP was the place to be, the ground that everyone feared to come to. A wall of noise, intimidating atmosphere and solid behind the team support. Nowadays its quiet moaning and mutterings about how shite things are. Thats not down to "wank" fans or glory hunters that appeared in 93. After all they will have been the very same glory hunters that made the wall of noise in 96. No, its down to the shit we've been served up over the past few years, the constant stream of new managers each one shitter than the one before. The lies, the mistrust and the baffling on and off field decisions.

We've lost our priorities as fans, yes we want to be entertained and yes we want to see us winning but if we're not then we should be doing our bit to help it along. The first part of that process is the realisation that we are not the best fans in the world, far from it.

Yes, we are loyal and yes we are passionate but are we the best fans? are we fuck. The sooner we all realise that then the sooner we can start to do something about it.

Do you think an ageing match going support has anything to do with it, pud? Or a higher proportion of Range Rover driving mitten wearing types?