Owen

Douggy B

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen should be dropped for Portsmouth IMHO. Has offered fuck all the last few games and is a luxury we can't afford right now.

Isn't captain material either.

How should he score goals when nobody creates any chances for him? I really hope Vidula & Martins stay fit so that we can play the three up front again.

His body language didn't please me though.

Edited by KingKev

Yeah, but Al can't walk in and tell the best player in the team he's not the skipper anymore. That's sth to sort out at the end of the season, when he's gone...

Edited by KingKev

The spuds fans actually got something spot on this afternoon. Ryan taylor played an awfull ball (I think it may have actually supposed to have been for Owen) and they started singing That's why your going down. And taking all of the off the field stuff to one side, that's spot on. We are going down because we don't have a single player who can pass a ball. And how can we expect anyhing from a poacher like Owen if we can't play simple passes and create anything for him.

It would be great if he were the type of playe who could create for himself but he's not and certainly hasn't been ever since he lost his pace.

Keegan realised last season that with a 4-4-2 our players cannot create enough chances for him and went with him Martins and Viduka up front. Shearer seems to have picked up on this too but Martin's injury has prevented him from trying it until the second half today. Hopefully he will stick with it for the rest of the games.

Players like him don't just turn shit - He just isn't getting the service, and I don't think he can be arsed any more. Wouldn't be overly surprised if he retired from football next year if we go down and he doesn't get any offers from top clubs

He can't score without service and we have one of the least creative teams in premiership history at the moment, start creating and he'll be fine. Also if Big Al intends to return to Keegans tactic with Owen, Martins and Viduka i assume he'll do the same as KK and have Owen playing in that deeper role linking at times with midfield where he turned in some excellent performances not just scoring but being involved in all the decent football we played, something most people like to forget when saying he can't do anything.

Playing with those 3 means Vidkua will hold it up and bring Owen into the game and Martins threat because of his pace will drag defenders out a bit meaning Owen has space and we'll see him score goals just as he did for Keegan.

If Shearer uses 4-4-2 then either the wingers or the central mids are going to have to learn to cross, pass and take take set pieces accurately or Owen is likely to struggle, its not rocket science.

He can't score without service and we have one of the least creative teams in premiership history at the moment, start creating and he'll be fine. Also if Big Al intends to return to Keegans tactic with Owen, Martins and Viduka i assume he'll do the same as KK and have Owen playing in that deeper role linking at times with midfield where he turned in some excellent performances not just scoring but being involved in all the decent football we played, something most people like to forget when saying he can't do anything.

Playing with those 3 means Vidkua will hold it up and bring Owen into the game and Martins threat because of his pace will drag defenders out a bit meaning Owen has space and we'll see him score goals just as he did for Keegan.

If Shearer uses 4-4-2 then either the wingers or the central mids are going to have to learn to cross, pass and take take set pieces accurately or Owen is likely to struggle, its not rocket science.

That's a big task for Nolan, Butt & Ryan Taylor...

He still looks too good for the team - he can actually play ten yard balls to a teammate in decent areas and make intelligent runs which unfortunately are never, ever going to be found with the midfield we have.

It's a shame the only other footballer we have is Viduka.

(Any one who suggests Guttierez can fuck right off)

He still looks too good for the team - he can actually play ten yard balls to a teammate in decent areas and make intelligent runs which unfortunately are never, ever going to be found with the midfield we have.

That's the thing. Apart from Owen every player just tends to give the ball away again and again. So it's pretty harsh to blame Owen for the Crapness of his team mates...

Think you're being a little harsh on Beye for example, never been anything but a class defender and model pro for us.

I just keep looking up and seeing Owen collecting the ball at the halfway line. Our midfield is so shite that he always has to track back to collect passes/loose balls and at this stage in his career he's not much more than a poacher, so that's not a good position for him.

If Viduka can stay fit :nufc: then I think we'll be seeing more of Owen.

Even Keegan's tactics (as effective as they were) were basically a sticking plaster to try and cover the teams uselessness going forward. If none of those 3 had been injured things would have been a LOT better this season even with everything else, but without them we're back to the same old problem.

Owen in our current team is like driving a Ferrari on a farm track, he's just not suited to it at all.

That's a big task for Nolan, Butt & Ryan Taylor...

If they could even do one of the 3 it'd be something!

Think you're being a little harsh on Beye for example, never been anything but a class defender and model pro for us.

I just keep looking up and seeing Owen collecting the ball at the halfway line. Our midfield is so shite that he always has to track back to collect passes/loose balls and at this stage in his career he's not much more than a poacher, so that's not a good position for him.

If Viduka can stay fit :nufc: then I think we'll be seeing more of Owen.

Beye is an excellent defender but I use "footballer" to describe somebody who has the brain required to use a ball well - not many defenders ever qualify even if I think they are worth having.

Owen dropping deep to get the ball reminds me of Beardsley doing it in his first spell - a classic sign of a good player in an absolutely shit team.

I appreciate the fact Owen is severely let down by his hopeless midfield, but I'm worried about his contribution (or lack of) to the team in the rare occasions he does get involved. I also doubt he really cares about the club - he won't be sad when we're relegated and he's off playing for another club, whoeever they may be. He'll be more annoyed his England career is pretty much over.

We need to give him more ammo but with the formation we started with yesterday nee chance against Lennon & Co.

The thing with Owen when he does get the chances he normally sticks em away. I would however start with tyhe Duke v Pompey just for his size v Campbell & Co

Owen is a luxury we cannot afford. Ok he may still be a top goal scorer given the service but he is never going to get it with this team, so why play him. Martins and Viduka can create chances Carroll can be a target man for the the long hump up field. Owen runs into to no where.

Some crazy talk on this thread like. We're in a relegation scrap so let's drop our top-scoring striker, righto. :nufc:

Owen isn't scoring because he isn't getting the service, end of story.