Owen

Douggy B

Owen is still a world class finisher, but you need to someone in the side to find him with the correct ball 4/5 times a game.

I beg to differ. His reactions and anticipation are world class. Not his finishing.

:D

I'm at work so I can't see the video. Is it the Pompey one?

If so I still don't think that makes him a world class finisher. Far too many times in the last couple of seasons he's missed too many chances that someone who was a world class finisher would have buried. Most of his goals now come from him being able to make decisions and react faster than the defenders around him. Not because of his finishing ability.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't think he's mentally strong, as say someone like Shearer was. There always seems to be a nagging doubt about his own ability, he never seems to be very confident anymore when he's in those positions. Plus for some reason as well now his shot is weak as piss.

Owen is still a world class finisher, but you need to someone in the side to find him with the correct ball 4/5 times a game.

I beg to differ. His reactions and anticipation are world class. Not his finishing.

If so I still don't think that makes him a world class finisher. Far too many times in the last couple of seasons he's missed too many chances that someone who was a world class finisher would have buried. Most of his goals now come from him being able to make decisions and react faster than the defenders around him. Not because of his finishing ability.

I would imagine all that you describe is part of what is known as 'finishing' non? :razz:

I would imagine all that you describe is part of what is known as 'finishing' non? :razz:

I wouldn't no. And neither would you have unless that's how I described it. :razz:

Owen's goals-to shots percentage (league games) has been around the 25% mark for most of his career. Few strikers manage that over time, and it's the same this season as it ever was (8/33). It's better than Torres and Anelka this season, for example and miles better than Martins. I remember reading that towards the end of last season he had the best conversion rate of all PL strikers, though I'm not sure if he ended up top (there were a couple of freak stats in there, I think Lescott had an amazing % but I can't find a comparative table). Doesn't tell you everything but it shows he'll score a relatively high proportion of his chances. He's not getting chances, it's as simple as that.

It also tells you that Owen rarely shoots from any sort of distance. So when he is taking a shot it's usually close in so therefore more like;y to be on target and to yield a goal as the result.

Hence my observation that it doesn't tell you everything. The vast majority of goals are scored in the box, however.

Sure are. Owen is a smart player, he's not suited to taking shots from distance and has always been one to place a ball rather than belt it. The problem with him as we all know is that he doesn't create chances for himself, he needs someone to send him through, or put the cross in for him. We don't have the players to do that.

Hence my observation that it doesn't tell you everything. The vast majority of goals are scored in the box, however.

Sure are. Owen is a smart player, he's not suited to taking shots from distance and has always been one to place a ball rather than belt it. The problem with him as we all know is that he doesn't create chances for himself, he needs someone to send him through, or put the cross in for him. We don't have the players to do that.

Yep. He's a penalty-box finisher who's biggest asset is finding space/reacting quickly in the box. If only our midfield knew where the fucking box was we'd have a chance.

Owen's goals-to shots percentage (league games) has been around the 25% mark for most of his career. Few strikers manage that over time, and it's the same this season as it ever was (8/33). It's better than Torres and Anelka this season, for example and miles better than Martins. I remember reading that towards the end of last season he had the best conversion rate of all PL strikers, though I'm not sure if he ended up top (there were a couple of freak stats in there, I think Lescott had an amazing % but I can't find a comparative table). Doesn't tell you everything but it shows he'll score a relatively high proportion of his chances. He's not getting chances, it's as simple as that.

:razz: and probably never will again in a Newcastle shirt. :D

Yep. He's a penalty-box finisher who's biggest asset is finding space/reacting quickly in the box. If only our midfield knew where the fucking box was we'd have a chance.

:razz: the 18 yard box might be more useful, if perhaps less fun for them.

Cockney Press aim at Owen again but Shearer is no mug

By Lee Ryder on Apr 21, 09 09:28 AM

So hold on a minute, Michael Owen goes on a barren run, loses his England place and then has a bad game in London and suddenly he should be dropped for Newcastle United's game against Pompey.

Make no bones about it, Owen is suffering at the moment and is playing way below the level we all know that is locked away inside him.

But then again, name one Newcastle player who is pulling up trees at the moment?

The answer is nobody because the team has been drained of confidence and belief.

They are all suffering at the moment and the only reason that Habib Beye and Sebastien Bassong have stood out so much in the last two games, and they have done well, is because Newcastle have been under the cosh for so long.

The Toon stars are not immune from criticism by any stretch of the imagination.

And on board we have players who have played well for other clubs and failed to do the business here at Newcastle, in truth they have been a let down, Mark Viduka, Damien Duff and even Nicky Butt, by his own admission, haven't lived up to their reputations elsewhere.

And when you look at Obafemi Martins, a crowd favourite all the same, he is by far the poorest of Newcastle's number 9s during the Premier League years.

I don't think there is anybody who could say he's better than Alan Shearer, Andy Cole or Les Ferdinand.

But getting back to Owen, suggestions that Shearer does not have the bottle to drop his old pal are a nonsense.

Yeah, it would make a sensational story but Shearer understands better than anybody that if his best goalscorer isn't getting the service, then how the heck is he meant to score?

Owen has always been a poacher and although he isn't the lightning quick teenager he was when he burst on to the scene, he is still a major threat if used in the correct way.

His poor performance was as much down to those around him on Sunday than anything else.

I lost count of the amount of times that Ryan Taylor failed to get past the first defender from corner kicks.

Or the amount of time that R Taylor crosses were spat out by the Spurs defence and left unchallenged by any of the Toon's target men.

Shearer knows about goal droughts, he went almost two years without scoring for England before Euro 96 and then what happened?

He lost his form and had his patience tested by Ruud Gullit before Sir Bobby came in, and then what happened?

Then after a good first season under Sir Bob, he lost his form again, and then Newcastle signed the little man Craig Bellamy, and then what happened?

Things change for strikers and they go through barren runs.

Owen has 10 goals this season for Newcastle and to be fair his face has been tripping him.

Do you blame him? Has your face not been tripping you as well after this farce?

For what it's worth, Shearer would be wrong to drop Owen and certainly wrong to do it for the Cockneys.

But whether Owen is the right man for the captain's job is another matter.

Shearer was an all round battler in his day and in many ways a different type of player to Owen and probably more suited to the captain's role.

It could be argued that taking the armband away from Owen could lift some of the weight on his shoulders and let him get back to what he does best.

Yet for crying out loud, don't drop him now.

Don't drop him for this must win fixture against Portsmouth.

Shearer doesn't have time to get results and unlike Kevin Keegan last term he hasn't the time to get the confidence flowing.

But if Newcastle do finally turn the corner against Pompey, what price Owen plays a big part in it?

Id play Owen in a 433.

Agree totally:

--------------------Harper-----------------

--Beye---Bassong---Saylor---Enrique--

--------Jonas---Guthrie---Duff-----------

--------Owen---Viduka---Martins--------

For me :D

I think Id rather that than have him behind the front two. I'm not keen on seeing him receive the ball in the middle of the park, he just doesnt have the legs any more to run through players. He is though a very intelligent forward and I think does better floating around the edge of the box.

We need to go for a 4-3-3-type formation, because nothing else than a win, will definately knock our chances, and we'll be more cut adrift (maybe 7pts by then?) plus, let's face it, we're not going to beat Liverpool at Anfield, realistically.

Edited by 1892

We need to go for a 4-3-3-type formation, because nothing else than a win, will definately knock our chances, and we'll be more cut adrift (maybe 7pts by then?) plus, let's face it, we're not going to beat Liverpool at Anfield, realistically.

Don't know, considering their comical defending yesterday we might be lucky and get a draw, 8-8 or something like that...

Don't know, considering their comical defending yesterday we might be lucky and get a draw, 8-8 or something like that...