Owen

Douggy B

It's Martins we should be looking to keep, Owen is replaceable now, (when we bought him he was the best though).

I can't see why we don't go for Adriano if we stay up, I mean he fucked of to a Brazilian club on loan, so surely he'll come to us.

There is a reason why he fucked off to Brazil on loan and I am 99% certain he wouldn't come to us.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A one-in-three conversion rate would put him right at the very top of the striking bracket - very few players get anywhere near that. Torres, for example, this season has 21 goals to 141 shots (21 to 59 when you only count shots on target). Owen has ten goals from 45 shots, 28 on target. His numbers stand up to any scrutiny, even now. He's simply not getting the chances man.

Edit: I've counted Torres' international record in those numbers as I can't be arsed to subtract them; it makes no material difference.

The miss in the Pompey game has amplified his critics. But Martins probably would have blasted it over the bar.

A one-in-three conversion rate would put him right at the very top of the striking bracket - very few players get anywhere near that. Torres, for example, this season has 21 goals to 141 shots (21 to 59 when you only count shots on target). Owen has ten goals from 45 shots, 28 on target. His numbers stand up to any scrutiny, even now. He's simply not getting the chances man.

Edit: I've counted Torres' international record in those numbers as I can't be arsed to subtract them; it makes no material difference.

The miss in the Pompey game has amplified his critics. But Martins probably would have blasted it over the bar.

Thats a bit harsh on Martins, he might have slipped over and scored.

I'd put that into context by saying his shot is weak as piss now, so he isn't going to shoot from any sort of distance (his shot was never that powerful anyway though). Agree about the lack of chances though.

Yep. I've never argued he's anything other than a penalty-box finisher. I just maintain he's still very good at that, and it ought to be enough in a side like ours but our midfield is so utterly gash any striker would be struggling to play effectively in front of it.

Agreed. Owen's game hasn't changed much since last season, the difference is that we're creating less chances and over the past few months Owen has failed to take the few chances that he has been offered. It's a form thing imo rather than the death knell for his career.

Torres 0.57

Owen 0.53

Bearing in mind one plays in a crap side. :D

Which stat lot do goals-to-minutes Mr P? I can't find that anywhere, although it has to be said I'm shite at searching :o

Thats a bit harsh on Martins, he might have slipped over and scored.

He might have fallen on it and it squirted through his arse cheeks at some pace into the net.

Torres 0.57

Owen 0.53

Which stat lot do goals-to-minutes Mr P? I can't find that anywhere, although it has to be said I'm shite at searching :o

I do my own stats.

You can hoy stats around all you like. Anyone thats seen him play the last 3 months knows hes probably the least effective striker at our club right now. Hes not fast, he cant hold up the ball, he cant shoot from distance, hes too short to win most headers. Hes done and the sooner hes off the wage sheet the better imo

You were saying recently you'd put Barton in ahead of him. Although after Barton got sent off you said you'd told us all along that would happen. Basically, you talk shite.

Not quite ............ http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...&pid=609359

But even so im effectively saying the same thing still. Hes shit and shouldnt be playing. Im not sure what your point is.

Oh and . . .

Posted on: Mar 21 2009, 09:02 PM

Well we soon sorted this today. And Barton is no better than Nolan, Guthrie, Butt or any other of the slow, one dimensional players we have at the club. Dont kid yourself hes going to make any difference whatsoever to the way we play

I could quote about 10 more of my posts in the last year that said the same but i cant be arsed

Torres 0.57

Owen 0.53

I make it up as I go along.

FYP :o

Torres 0.57

Owen 0.53

I do my own stats.

Me too. I'm 18 from 3 outings this week at about 1 every 39 mins. That's pints, obviously :o

Guest alex
You can hoy stats around all you like. Anyone thats seen him play the last 3 months knows hes probably the least effective striker at our club right now. Hes not fast, he cant hold up the ball, he cant shoot from distance, hes too short to win most headers. Hes done and the sooner hes off the wage sheet the better imo

You were saying recently you'd put Barton in ahead of him. Although after Barton got sent off you said you'd told us all along that would happen. Basically, you talk shite.

Not quite ............ http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...&pid=609359

But even so im effectively saying the same thing still. Hes shit and shouldnt be playing. Im not sure what your point is.

Oh and . . .

Posted on: Mar 21 2009, 09:02 PM

Well we soon sorted this today. And Barton is no better than Nolan, Guthrie, Butt or any other of the slow, one dimensional players we have at the club. Dont kid yourself hes going to make any difference whatsoever to the way we play

I could quote about 10 more of my posts in the last year that said the same but i cant be arsed

You said it in this thread, page 6. My overall point was you talk shite though.

Edited by alex

Not really, I think Owen and Barton are shite, Ive always liked Taylor and Martins. I think my views were vindicated on monday night

Based on one game? :D

Guest alex
Not really, I think Owen and Barton are shite, Ive always liked Taylor and Martins. I think my views were vindicated on monday night

My point was - you were in favour of playing Barton ahead of Owen. But when Barton got his chance and got sent off you then proclaimed you'd always said this was likely to happen. If you can't see a contradiction there, well...

Based on the contributions of all 4 players since xmas

Guest alex

Based on the contributions of all 4 players since xmas

Why did you say you'd always liked them then? Martins has done fuck all since Xmas as well.

Cos I have always like them, and taken plenty of flak for it. I also took plenty of flak for saying Barton and Owen werent going to make a difference to the team when they had recovered from their many injuries. Stop being a cunt.

Guest alex
Cos I have always like them, and taken plenty of flak for it. I also took plenty of flak for saying Barton and Owen werent going to make a difference to the team when they had recovered from their many injuries. Stop being a cunt.

You accept Martins has done very little since Xmas then?

Guest alex
I think hes probably done more than any other striker at the club since xmas. They are sll struggling with a lack of service but hes the only one who has even looked like scoring at times

Lovenkrands has 3 in 10 though.

I think hes probably done more than any other striker at the club since xmas. They are sll struggling with a lack of service but hes the only one who has even looked like scoring at times

Has he? :D All I can remember his that his wasting of chances looked more spectacular (Spurs away). Apart from Owen and Martins have looked equally rubbish and totally anonymous in most of the games.

Guest alex

Anyway, I'll put it simply. Martins is an important player for us, but I don't see how you can say his contribution since Xmas has been anything worthwhile. He's been out injured most of the time, struggled for form and barely scored. Can't see how you can dispute that.

His goal was great the other night, that's different to the point I'm making though.