The Ashes

smoggeordie

Anyone on here lucky enough to get tickets? I managed to get Edgbaston Day 1 and an ODI at Lords through the ballots. I thought I had no chance with the Lords ballot as well.

I can't wait, brilliant summer of cricket ahead :D

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Applied for the Hedingley ballot, no luck. They are selling 5th day tickets for £20 on a non-refundable basis which I reckon is worth a punt.

That is fucking obscene like.

I wish all these wankers who don't care about cricket in the intervening four years between series would fuck off.

In case you hadn't guessed, I didn't get any tickets.

Applied for the Hedingley ballot, no luck. They are selling 5th day tickets for £20 on a non-refundable basis which I reckon is worth a punt.

That is fucking obscene like.

I wish all these wankers who don't care about cricket in the intervening four years between series would fuck off.

In case you hadn't guessed, I didn't get any tickets.

Where did you try? I know a decent amount went on general sale.

Cardiff and Lord's ballot.

On a seperate issue, the decision not to have an Ashes test at Trent Bridge is the stupidest decision ever. Especially as Cardiff has never hosted a test before.

Agreed. Both Trent Bridge and CLS should have been ahead of Cardiff.

On a seperate issue, the decision not to have an Ashes test at Trent Bridge is the stupidest decision ever. Especially as Cardiff has never hosted a test before.

Grounds now have to bid to host a test, Sophia Gardens has the Welsh Tourist Board amongst others behind them so can outbid most other venues.

Old Trafford not having an Ashes test is a disgrace and we've got a very good record there.

Grounds now have to bid to host a test, Sophia Gardens has the Welsh Tourist Board amongst others behind them so can outbid most other venues.

Old Trafford not having an Ashes test is a disgrace and we've got a very good record there.

Old Trafford's facilities are ancient though, although I agree that it's sad that's more important than the state of the (very good) wicket.

Chester-le-Street has hosted a few minnow teams so has earned the right to have an Ashes test. Sophia Gardens hasn't.

Australia won't need five days boys so don't bother getting those tickets. :nufc:

It's not as if you lot have been setting the world alight lately you smug twat. This is going to be one of the worst Ashes series in a long while.

It's not as if you lot have been setting the world alight lately you smug twat. This is going to be one of the worst Ashes series in a long while.

It's nice to know that the love is still there between us Luke. It makes me feel all tingly inside.

But you are right, we've been pretty inconsistent, getting hammered by the Saffers at home then beating them in South Africa was like watching two different teams. I think we're a stronger test nation than we are one day which still has me optimistic for the Ashes. I am very happy that we're playing the test before the one day series this time out, mostly for morale. I think we'll lose any one day series against you, and if that was before the tests it'd be disastrous.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Less than a week to go gents, with the line up looking like:

Cook

Strauss

Bopara

Pietersen

Collingwood

Prior

Flintoff

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Harmison/Panesar/Rashid.

A lot depends on the pitch really. Harmy has been bowling superbly recently and deserves his place on merit. But if it's going to turn like a banana, it's a toss up between the spinners. I think they'd probably go for Rashid, because he can hit a few more runs, despite probably being not as good a spinner as Monty. Whatever happens, both teams are significantly weaker than 2005. Ponting and KP are hopelessly out of form and that new Aussie opener can't handle the short delivery. The major worry for us is that our batting line up has collapse written all over it.

Guest alex

Hope the Ashes inspire KP again because he's our best batsman but you get the feeling he's still very pissed off about what happened over the captaincy and it's effecting his game.

Less than a week to go gents, with the line up looking like:

Cook

Strauss

Bopara

Pietersen

Collingwood

Prior

Flintoff

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Harmison/Panesar/Rashid.

A lot depends on the pitch really. Harmy has been bowling superbly recently and deserves his place on merit. But if it's going to turn like a banana, it's a toss up between the spinners. I think they'd probably go for Rashid, because he can hit a few more runs, despite probably being not as good a spinner as Monty. Whatever happens, both teams are significantly weaker than 2005. Ponting and KP are hopelessly out of form and that new Aussie opener can't handle the short delivery. The major worry for us is that our batting line up has collapse written all over it.

I'd go with the same top ten as you, but is Sidebottom injured? If fit I'd stick him in at 11. I'd probably even go with Onions ahead of the three you've got in.

I don't think England will go with two spinners. From what I've been reading the Cardiff turned amazingly a while ago - which has been well documented - but since then the groundsman has worked on it and now it doesn't offer very much for the spinners. Monty played there recently and got awful figures.

I'm quite confident about this series. Cook and RavBop are both going in in good form and I've got it in my head that KP will just switch it on.

Both teams are much weaker, but I'm hopeful of a great series nonetheless. KP would I'm sure love to help his country regain the Ashes and he has a bigger role than he was expected to play last time (but ended up superbly winning it for us, albeit with a bit of luck). However, winning the Ashes I think may be too much for England - it SHOULD be pretty close though. Some people have predicted the Aussies winning every game - I could be proven wrong, but they're a much weaker side than their last Ashes victory, and they have key players out of form and a crap spinner, so I'd say that prediction is unlikely.

Of course I'd love England to win it even if it's unlikely. We shall see what happens.

Edited by TheInspiration

13 for the first test:

England squad: Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior, Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Jimmy Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ian Bell, Graham Onions.

Other than Bell, exactly what I would have chosen.