The Ashes

smoggeordie

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the kind of scores our batsmen should have been making instead of spunking their wicket away once they got past 50.

And I for one am absolutely astonished that Panesar has been as useful as condom machine in the vatican. Especially considering he's been averaging 80 in county cricket and been ineffective on turning decks in India and the West Indies this winter. Oh well, at least he brings something else to the side apart from his repetitive, easy to read useless bowling.

Oh wait.

:lol:

Panesar's bowling just seems to have got worse. He can't seem to trouble any batsmen nowadays. Mind you Swann was disappointing also, but out of the two I don't think it's hard to tell who should be in the team based on their bowling, batting and fielding...

Draw seems likely now, unless England collapse second innings

That's the worry, you'd hope this deep batting lineup can at least ensure a draw if the bowling doesn't improve tomorrow as we don't want to start of with a collapse and a defeat!

I'm really disappointed as i expected the bowlers to come out fired up (after the tail had done so well with the bat) and get amongst the aussies early on, getting something more like 250 for 5 or 6 not 1.

Really could do with a couple of early wickets tomorrow or Ponting in particular will take the game away from England.

The bowling has been just awful this test. Watching Broad and Anderson continually feed Hughes those wide balls when everyone and their dog knew he likes it their and not in his chest was stupefying. That on top of the spinners completely failing to get any kind of tur and at the same time being completely unable to think their way round a batsmen was truly dire. I have no hope that our batsmen will save us.

Pitch hasn't helped either of the spinners, mind.

Should have got Onions in as it seems pretty slow

Well their supposedly shit spinner looks like Shane Warne whereas our two cretins couldn't buy a wicket if they morgaged their houses and sold their mums into prostitutes.

The bowling has been just awful this test. Watching Broad and Anderson continually feed Hughes those wide balls when everyone and their dog knew he likes it their and not in his chest was stupefying. That on top of the spinners completely failing to get any kind of tur and at the same time being completely unable to think their way round a batsmen was truly dire. I have no hope that our batsmen will save us.

That's what annoys me, every bowler can have an off day or times when things just aren't happening, but there is no excuse for repeated stupidity, giving the batsmen exactly what he wants and not learning.

There was no way they needed to pick 2 spinners, especially when one of them in Panesar was in terrible form for his county. I'm not saying Onions or Harmison would have turned the test completely but they might have helped!

So playing for the draw today?

Yip. Part of why Test cricket is the best game around, for me.

Some of the most memorable games are the 'backs to the wall' matches. Atherton at Trent Bridge against S. Africa (Donald in particular) springs immediately to mind.

Task is starting to look a bit harder for you guys now with Flintoff gone. Haven't seen much of this England tail end before, do they have the mettle to hold out?

Collingwood and Swann could stick around a while, but not long enough, if the rest of them had helped and given them a chance then maybe, but we've lost. Batsmen obviously haven't done their job but bowling is what has cost us here.

Task is starting to look a bit harder for you guys now with Flintoff gone. Haven't seen much of this England tail end before, do they have the mettle to hold out?

Looks a forlorn hope now for England. Swann and Anderson could be a bit stubborn, but nothing too much can be expected of them (never say never, though).

Unfortunately, England are a man down, batting-wise, with Panesar in the team. I don't know why he carries a bat, tbh. He would put up stiffer resistance if he borrrowed a leak from one of the locals and used that at the wicket.

Some of the most memorable games are the 'backs to the wall' matches. Atherton at Trent Bridge against S. Africa (Donald in particular) springs immediately to mind.

We won that match by 8 wickets grandad, I was there! But that passage of play between Donald and Atherton on the evening of the fourth day was possibly the finest passage of sport I've ever watched. Atherton suvived and made 98 not out the next day to win the match. TMS replayed their coverage of it a few years ago, sent shivers down my spine.

You're thinking of or confused it with Atherton's 185* to save the match at Johannasburg in 1995..

Ah memories..better than the current shower, this is offensively bad.

We won that match by 8 wickets grandad, I was there! But that passage of play between Donald and Atherton on the evening of the fourth day was possibly the finest passage of sport I've ever watched. Atherton suvived and made 98 not out the next day to win the match. TMS replayed their coverage of it a few years ago, sent shivers down my spine.

You're thinking of or confused it with Atherton's 185* to save the match at Johannasburg in 1995..

By jove, you're right :unsure: I was going to add 'yet another backs-to-the-wall game was in S.Africa' !!! My memory about the Donald/Atherton duel was paramount in my mind, but I thought we were trying to hold on for a draw. Thanks for putting me straight.

Great finish if nail biting and horrible at the same time! Most of the credit to Collingwood with the rest of the tail all chipping in and Anderson and Monty bravely clinging on there.

Still need 1 or even 2 changes to the bowling attack for the next one though. I imagine Monty will be dropped as they won't want 2 spinners, the question then is do they give everyone else a second chance (which i think they will) or bring in two different bowlers.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Fabulous result, feels like a win given we were nailed on to lose it when Strauss was out. We're still at 0-0 and live to fight another day, the Aussies will be flat as hell after totally outplaying England.

Top marks to Collingwood, maybe his best days aren't behind him after all. Some of his team mates need to have a serious look at themselves though, especially Pietersen and Cook. We also need to freshen up the toothless bowling attack, Harmison anyone?

By jove, you're right :unsure: I was going to add 'yet another backs-to-the-wall game was in S.Africa' !!! My memory about the Donald/Atherton duel was paramount in my mind, but I thought we were trying to hold on for a draw. Thanks for putting me straight.

No worries. I am a massive anorack when it comes to cricket. :icon_lol:

This.

Americans might not be able to understand a game that takes five days and can still be a draw, but that had more theatre than a Twenty-20 will ever have in my book.

In terms of morale that should feel like a loss in the crim's dressing room. Ponting will get stick for his decision making despite his 150.

EDIT: It also shows what a massive loss warne and mcgrath are to them. There is no way our tail-enders would've hung around so long in either innings if they had been present.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Great finish if nail biting and horrible at the same time! Most of the credit to Collymore with the rest of the tail all chipping in and Anderson and Monty bravely cliniging on there.

Still need 1 or even 2 changes to the bowling attack for the next one though. I imagie Monty will be dropped as they won't want 2 spinners, the question then is do they give everyone else a second chance (which i think they will) or bring in two different bowlers.

Fabulous result, feels like a win given we were nailed on to lose it when Strauss was out. We're still at 0-0 and live to fight another day, the Aussies will be flat as hell after totally outplaying England.

Top marks to Collingwood, maybe his best days aren't behind him after all. Some of his team mates need to have a serious look at themselves though, especially Pietersen and Cook. We also need to freshen up the toothless bowling attack, Harmison anyone?

Agree about Pietersen and Cook - think they should have a look at the way Collingwood plays. Pure grit but that's how he can build innings such as today's. People often doubt him but he's been our most in form batsman over the past year or so. If Johnson, Lee etc bowl intelligently (i.e. not like how England bowled) then Cook especially will barely get runs this series because he's got too many technical flaws.

Bit disillusioned by some of the decisions made by Ponting in the last session. Siddle should have had more overs and Hauritz was overused imo. Match that should have been won

I think he used the spinners to get the maximum number of overs in, but it's a balence between that and who's most likely to get the tailenders out. I would have wanted the quicks on if I was an Aussie too tbh.