The Ashes

smoggeordie

Their new captain [Clarke] is hopelessly out of form, and has been for some time. He was known for prodigious technique & footwork - he just seems to stab at everything just outside his off-stump nowadays.

Watson [with his poor conversion rate, 50's - big 100's] is as culpable as any batsman in their line-up. They seemingly cannot build an innings around this bloke, unlike Cook/Strouss & Trott who are both pillars of strength and can stay the distance.

Going back a few years their combination of Langer & Hayden at the top of the order was their equivalent of Greenidge & Haynes. In Hayden you had that flaying & free-flowing bully with a great eye & technique to see out the new ball [aka. Greenidge], while Langer very much like Haynes - the little streetfighter who could stay out their for three sessions and them some. They've lost that much needed balance at the top of the attack.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their new captain [Clarke] is hopelessly out of form, and has been for some time. He was known for prodigious technique & footwork - he just seems to stab at everything just outside his off-stump nowadays.

Watson [with his poor conversion rate, 50's - big 100's] is as culpable as any batsman in their line-up. They seemingly cannot build an innings around this bloke, unlike Cook/Strouss & Trott who are both pillars of strength and can stay the distance.

Going back a few years their combination of Langer & Hayden at the top of the order was their equivalent of Greenidge & Haynes. In Hayden you had that flaying & free-flowing bully with a great eye & technique to see out the new ball [aka. Greenidge], while Langer very much like Haynes - the little streetfighter who could stay out their for three sessions and them some. They've lost that much needed balance at the top of the attack.

Nice post. I loved watching Gordon Greenidge. Apart from he was normally putting England's bowlers to the sword.

Part one of the mission accomplished. Now lets make sure we win the series and keep heaping on the humiliation. No taking the foot off the pedal.

Or the neck.

Where's Wellsy btw?

I still lurk around Alex.

Great series by England and has been some good cricket to watch. We have been completely outplayed and without Hussey (who was on the verge of being dropped before the series) it could have been over well before the MCG test.

How good is Cook? Just played within himself and didn't try and create something out of nothing. Had an outstanding series so far and scored about 600 runs so far with 1 more test to go. Could get 700+ runs in the series, which is no mean feat.

Jimmy Anderson has been great also. His swing bowling has been spot on and that is something that our bowlers need to work on. He is consistent and not erratic like half our bowlers that we have. Been a superstar this series also.

Would be good to watch England v South Africa in a series. Both have some great talent at the moment, so would be great to see who would take out that series? I am moving to England in less than 10 days so hopefully there is a series of cricket i can and see at Lords shortly.

For what it is worth, we will get owned at the SCG. We need to move on some of the players and get in some of the youngsters to lead us into the future.

Part one of the mission accomplished. Now lets make sure we win the series and keep heaping on the humiliation. No taking the foot off the pedal.

Or the neck.

Where's Wellsy btw?

I still lurk around Alex.

Great series by England and has been some good cricket to watch. We have been completely outplayed and without Hussey (who was on the verge of being dropped before the series) it could have been over well before the MCG test.

How good is Cook? Just played within himself and didn't try and create something out of nothing. Had an outstanding series so far and scored about 600 runs so far with 1 more test to go. Could get 700+ runs in the series, which is no mean feat.

Jimmy Anderson has been great also. His swing bowling has been spot on and that is something that our bowlers need to work on. He is consistent and not erratic like half our bowlers that we have. Been a superstar this series also.

Would be good to watch England v South Africa in a series. Both have some great talent at the moment, so would be great to see who would take out that series? I am moving to England in less than 10 days so hopefully there is a series of cricket i can and see at Lords shortly.

For what it is worth, we will get owned at the SCG. We need to move on some of the players and get in some of the youngsters to lead us into the future.

Not another one! :icon_lol: India and Ceylon, oops, I mean Sri Lanka, are coming to the motherland this summer so you could get to see some good stuff.

Does anyone on here fucking watch the ashes? If they do they are fucking sick in the head. I can watch 20/20 and it still bores me to fuck. Anyone can play cricket for fuck sake. The pros are that bad because no one plays the fucking sport. If you want to get rich pick up at bat but no one does as its boring to fuck.

Quote from the TMS site:

"So we're having a great series but I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves, gloat or rub the Aussies' noses in it. Let's recognise that Australia are still the best in the world in many areas. When it comes to Aussie Rules Football, Ballroom Dancing Films and Transvestite Road Movies nobody else gets close to them."

This one could go either way. One big partnership is all we need but if we get out for close to their total, they'll fancy squaring the series.

Tbf to the Aussies, most of the wickets on this series have been result wickets with something in them for batters and bowlers. Ecb take note! No more chief executive pitches next summer please

Delicately poised, as they say. Quite fancy the Aussies, with us having to bat last. I think tonight will pretty much decide the match though.

Unlike England but with the aussies 180+ for 8 we got sloppy and they got 60 or 70 more than they should, which gave them a lift and particularly Johnson who takes wickets after he scores a 50.

Very close match now, but Dr Gloom said, great pitches with something for everyone producing cricket matches you want to watch. All round the world need to start doing it, instead of flat batting tracks where both teams just accumulate massive scores all the time. Test cricket attendances are dropping pretty much everywhere but England, might be an idea to start making pitches that help bowlers and get the crowds back.

Thought Botham was going to just about avoid saying it there but he's called Hughes a cheat for claiming he'd caught that, when it clearly bounced, its very hard to say anything other than he's cheated there, which is very poor for cricketers. And the replay is making him look alot worse in the way he initially reacted, not good at all.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

What a cheating little prick that Bell is. Didn't deserve his century at all, my respect for him is out the window now, the cunt. Anyway, this will be a draw, rain will play a part tomorrow and Australia will bat out the majority of the two days. By no means do I think England deserve a victory and take the series, and I'm quite a stable-minded person too... but funnier things have happened of course.