The Ashes

smoggeordie

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's loads of players that could come in for collingwood tbf. morgan is probably best placed but don't rule out bopara either. he's a natural number 6 so bell could move up to 5. he was always out of his depth going in at 3 in the last ashes series plus he offers some decent military medium pace bowling so is pretty much a like for like replacement for collingwood.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Ben Stokes will be taking over Collingwood in a year or two. Smashed consecutive centuries on his first 2 games for Durham and can bowl spin too. Not to mention the fact he's only 19. Look out for Scott Borthwick too, the next Graham Swann. Warne was raving about him the other day.

Didn't you tip Collingwood to be man of the series? :calmdown:

My sister is there tonight, bitch.

I chose Collingwood in the fantasy cricket at work btw. He averaged 49 for England last year and always gets a few wickets. Im rock bottom by a country mile now!

Nee flies on you Alex :huff:

I think we are seeing his last test for England atm. Good news for Durham though, just need to get Onions fit now

I thought Collingwood might do that, go by his own choice, knowing jhe's still going to be leading the 20:20 team and playing one dayers with the world cup ahead.

And it lets either Morgan or Bobara etc get a chance to bed in at no.6 in a winning team which is great all round. And Durham will be delighted!

I've got a lot of respect for colly. He's an example to all players with limited ability. He got to the top through hard graft, application and knowing his limitations. His fielding is the best ive ever seen and is an example the rest of the squad has followed and now he finishes his test career with three ashes victories and a 2020 world cup medal on his cv plus a test average of over 40. Not a bad way to go out.

Well done, Collingwood, and thank you for your efforts over the years. Not bad, not bad at all.........for a mackem!!

:huff:

Lunch. England 636/9, equalling their highest ever score in Australia. Nine centuries makes this the most in an ashes series. There have been quite a few records broken this series. I guess it's nice to see, but I am a bit of a duffer in that I like it when I hear/read about records standing from bygone days a la Hammond, Hutton etc etc etc.

I've got a lot of respect for colly. He's an example to all players with limited ability. He got to the top through hard graft, application and knowing his limitations. His fielding is the best ive ever seen and is an example the rest of the squad has followed and now he finishes his test career with three ashes victories and a 2020 world cup medal on his cv plus a test average of over 40. Not a bad way to go out.

Did you txt TMS with this as well, DG? Sure I just read something very similar on there.

Anyway, this will be a draw, rain will play a part tomorrow and Australia will bat out the majority of the two days. By no means do I think England deserve a victory and take the series, and I'm quite a stable-minded person too... but funnier things have happened of course.

The Ashes have truly been fucking tremendous.

4 years ago, my Aussie cousin never fucking shut up when they whitewashed us. Surprisingly he's been very quiet this time around :huff:

Read somewhere last night that there's never been an Ashes series where a side has won three tests by an innings. In their face! :nufc:

Did you txt TMS with this as well, DG? Sure I just read something very similar on there.

no that wasn't me. It's funny how it takes a guy to retire though before the plaudits start rolling in. Colly really was the king of the nudge and the nurdle. The ugly shovel into the on side. But fair play to him - a brilliant career and a cv that his more talented predecessors would envy.

The one worry about him going is that he'll almost certainly be replaced by another attacking stroke maker. Who will be rock in the middle order that will occupy the crease and grind out the backs to the wall innings colly built his reputation on, like Cardiff last summer?

Edited by Dr Gloom

no that wasn't me. It's funny how it takes a guy to retire though before the plaudits start rolling in. Colly really was the king of the nudge and the nurdle. The ugly shovel into the on side. But fair play to him - a brilliant career and a cv that his more talented predecessors would envy.

The one worry about him going is that he'll almost certainly be replaced by another attacking stroke maker. Who will be rock in the middle order that will occupy the crease and grind out the backs to the wall innings colly built his reputation on, like Cardiff last summer?

I get what you're saying about who will our rock be, but maybe those days (for now, anyway) are over? Collingwood was called on too often after the top order had failed. It now looks like we have a pretty good batting line up througout the team, where, if one or two fail, there are others who will score a ton - something Australia have had for years.

After all these years, I am, like so many others, having to pinch myself that this is happening. It's long overdue, but I'm fuckin' lovin' it - LOVIN' IT!!

i suppose if our more destructive stroke players can learn to play the situation and occupy the crease when required then we won't need another colly. i always found it comforting though when he came in between pietersen and flintoff. you had two of the game's biggest sloggers with king of the low backlift stone wall sandwiched inbetween

Anyway, this will be a draw, rain will play a part tomorrow and Australia will bat out the majority of the two days. By no means do I think England deserve a victory and take the series, and I'm quite a stable-minded person too... but funnier things have happened of course.

Never underestimate the nature of meteorology. It should have rained today, unfortunately it didn't at all, but let's hope there is a flood around the Sydney CBD tomorrow.