The Ashes

smoggeordie

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done England, well played especially on that second day when we collapsed due to good pressure bowling with a bit of swing. Amazing contrasts in the last test.

I think we lost it on the first test when we were unable to take that last wicket between Monty and Jimmy Anderson. England would have surely taken more from that test then what we did and carried it on through the rest of the series.

Strauss, was awesome through the series with his batting and i assume he took out the player of the series? Amazingly though we had more players with more runs then England and the top 3 bowlers in terms of wickets taken but still lost the series 2-1. Probably says we were massively outplayed in a few sessions throughout the test series in which we lost a heap of wickets in quick succession after players had set up some good totals but then collapsed.

In all honesty though i do think we will tear you to shreds when you come to Australia though. No Flintoff and Harmy wont be around too much longer or will he? I think our bouncy pitches will test you out with hopefully Siddle and Mitch hitting their potential with more experience.

Well done England, well played especially on that second day when we collapsed due to good pressure bowling with a bit of swing. Amazing contrasts in the last test.

I think we lost it on the first test when we were unable to take that last wicket between Monty and Jimmy Anderson. England would have surely taken more from that test then what we did and carried it on through the rest of the series.

Strauss, was awesome through the series with his batting and i assume he took out the player of the series? Amazingly though we had more players with more runs then England and the top 3 bowlers in terms of wickets taken but still lost the series 2-1. Probably says we were massively outplayed in a few sessions throughout the test series in which we lost a heap of wickets in quick succession after players had set up some good totals but then collapsed.

In all honesty though i do think we will tear you to shreds when you come to Australia though. No Flintoff and Harmy wont be around too much longer or will he? I think our bouncy pitches will test you out with hopefully Siddle and Mitch hitting their potential with more experience.

I agree, that first test being saved by the tail was crucial. If we'd lost it then recovering would be so much harder than the lift from that draw, and you'd have been 1-0 up which i'm not convinced you would have ever relinquished.

Strauss was given man of the series and i think Hilfinhaus just beat Clarke for your players of the series award. It was defnitiely about 2 or 3 sessions that England blitzed you in that turned the series as clearly overall stats show you had the runs and wicket takers.

I think next time round will be another cracking series rather than the 5-0 whitewash type, though you will as ever be favourites. Alot will depend on how the likes of Broad progress and i'm hopeful by then that Rashid will have been given his chance as he looks like a talented cricketr in the making. And we will hopefully have a full series out of KP this time rather than a couple of tests when he was hampered by injury.

Strauss was given man of the series and i think Hilfinhaus just beat Clarke for your players of the series award. It was defnitiely about 2 or 3 sessions that England blitzed you in that turned the series as clearly overall stats show you had the runs and wicket takers.

Other way round wasn't it?

Other way round wasn't it?

Yeah, i thought that's what i'd typed to be honest! :lol:

I can't see England winning in Australia based on that series. I agree with Alex that England were average. Hard to disagree with Ponting that Australia lost the big moments. Credit's due to Ponting for his post match interview by the way.

The Ashes was like one of those games where one team dominates the other, looks better but creates few chances (Australia). The other team tries hard, is under the kosh, and creates less, save for one or two moments of class and wins the game (England).

I thought we had a stronger side in 2005 but rode our luck far more then, especially as the Aussies had a superb side at the time as well. This time round, I though both sides were average and basically each one gave the other a thrashing at one point.

Australia is currently ranked 16th by FIFA out of 203 nations and 3rd (sorry that's 4th) out of 9 by the ICC, it can only help football in this sports backward country, thank fuck.

Edited by sammynb

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at getting myself over to Australia for the Ashes next year, probably looking at the final Test in Sydney, plus a weeks touring. The only problem is getting match tickets. They don't go on general sale to England and Wales fans apparently. You have to have an Australian address to be able to buy them.

I'm looking at getting myself over to Australia for the Ashes next year, probably looking at the final Test in Sydney, plus a weeks touring. The only problem is getting match tickets. They don't go on general sale to England and Wales fans apparently. You have to have an Australian address to be able to buy them.

If you're serious PM me and I can help you out. Don't worry I'd rather rather masturbate with a cheese grater than go to a test match.

I cant believe Plunkett has been picked for the ODI team ahead of Harmison. Plunkett had a great last 3 games of the season and an utterly horrific first 20 or so.

I know they're looking to the future etc. but Plunkett will never be in Harmy's class. Mind, Harmison more or less forced their hand when he said he wouldn't tour Australia the following winter.

Harmison just isn't up to international cricket anymore. He was the best in the world for 2004-2005 but was mediocre before and has been mediocre after. It's a shame, because he has all the attributes to be a great fast bowler, it's just he's so unreliable and wayward that I don't think the selectors can justify in picking him anymore.

I hope Plunkett has improved from his last tests in 2007 against the Windies, at times it seemed him and Harmison had a competition as to who could decapitate the most slip fielders.

• 1 year later...

BUMP-ARAMA!

Ok so maybe this didn't happen, but it might just might in four years.

Australia A vs England starts tonight.

best chance of winning over there for decades. that australia team is the most ordinary they've had in a long time. so england being england, it will most likely be a massive failure

I think we have a good chance mainly down to our bowlers and them being a bit ordinary in that department (and overall by their standards) plus our form vs. theirs. A few stats worry me though. Historically we've only won about 20 tests there since the Second World War and, more significantly imo, we've only one batsman (Jonathan Trott iirc) ranked in the world's top 20. I think they've got about 3 in the top 20 and they're the ones meant to be struggling.

also, if it isn't it the ball doesn't swing for long periods - the kookabura often doesn't - anderson will struggle. finn is still raw and broad can be undisciplined. if they all fire, our attack looks good but the lack of an all rounder and 4 bowlers is a risk. swann will have to get through a lot of overs.