The Ashes

smoggeordie

13 for the first test:
England squad: Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior, Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Jimmy Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ian Bell, Graham Onions.

Other than Bell, exactly what I would have chosen.

Yeah, imagine the only debates were over Harmison after he did well in the aussies warm up match, and whether they went for Monty or the young leg spinner, and i guess they don't want to throw a young lad in against the aussies for his test debut.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panesar should be absolutely nowhere near the team at the moment. He has learnt nothing in three years since he made his England debut. Think he averages about 80 with the ball in county cricket as well this year.

Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Onions.

Panesar should be absolutely nowhere near the team at the moment. He has learnt nothing in three years since he made his England debut. Think he averages about 80 with the ball in county cricket as well this year.

Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Onions.

Agreed. We've got one top class spinner who can bowl a lot (he's a spinner after all). We don't need another average spinner on top of that. I think we'll need four seamers and each can offer something different.

That's a strong team no doubt and capable of regaining the Ashes no doubt, however it will need players to stand up and be counted. On their day, Strauss and Cook are class openers. Cook especially has clear flaws but as well as that he gets a heck of a lot of runs, so more of the same is required. Pietersen knows what's expected of him and I hope he gets really fired up for this - I'm not sure his head's quite in it at the moment, but surely he'd love to help England regain the Ashes once more. Prior needs to show why his batting is crucial at six but also why he's worth his place as the keeper. Again Flintoff has a key role as an all-rounder - his batting may have been poor for ages but if he's anything near the Flintoff of 2005 we're in for a treat. Then you've got Anderson and Broad who have improved lots over the past year or so and can trouble any batsmen on their days - they're going to have very important roles. Etc etc.

I'm not confident at all. I look at that England batting line up and it could easily fail where the bowling is well thought out and disciplined.

Strauss has to carry the captaincy. Cook is Gower-esque in wafting outside the off stump at any time between 0 and 60 runs. I don't think Bopara's had enough matches and his debut was a disaster. Pietersen looks out of form and like he needs a break to me. Collingwood is a mackem. Prior is more of a one day batsman imo. Flintoff lacks match practice.

The one good thing is we can bat all the way down to Anderson. I'm not sure about the bowling either and I'd rather have Sidebottom ahead of Onions who's looked average to me in the few matches I've seen him in. Broad is decent, Anderson is inconsistent, Flintoff is returning from injury. However I think we'll lack penetration if Broad and Anderson are off colour and I wonder how much Flintoff can bowl.

Could easily turn to custard if Aussie have their shizzle together.

Agreed. We've got one top class spinner who can bowl a lot (he's a spinner after all). We don't need another average spinner on top of that. I think we'll need four seamers and each can offer something different.

That's a strong team no doubt and capable of regaining the Ashes no doubt, however it will need players to stand up and be counted. On their day, Strauss and Cook are class openers. Cook especially has clear flaws but as well as that he gets a heck of a lot of runs, so more of the same is required. Pietersen knows what's expected of him and I hope he gets really fired up for this - I'm not sure his head's quite in it at the moment, but surely he'd love to help England regain the Ashes once more. Prior needs to show why his batting is crucial at six but also why he's worth his place as the keeper. Again Flintoff has a key role as an all-rounder - his batting may have been poor for ages but if he's anything near the Flintoff of 2005 we're in for a treat. Then you've got Anderson and Broad who have improved lots over the past year or so and can trouble any batsmen on their days - they're going to have very important roles. Etc etc.

Flintoff's batting has been so poor of late that I'd consider him as a bowler who bats a bit, bordering on genuine tail ender these days. He should probably be batting below Broad.

KD - I know your new to this, but don't express opinions like that, you'll just embarrass yourself. ;)

I'm not confident at all. I look at that England batting line up and it could easily fail where the bowling is well thought out and disciplined.

Strauss has to carry the captaincy. Cook is Gower-esque in wafting outside the off stump at any time between 0 and 60 runs. I don't think Bopara's had enough matches and his debut was a disaster. Pietersen looks out of form and like he needs a break to me. Collingwood is a mackem. Prior is more of a one day batsman imo. Flintoff lacks match practice.

The one good thing is we can bat all the way down to Anderson. I'm not sure about the bowling either and I'd rather have Sidebottom ahead of Onions who's looked average to me in the few matches I've seen him in. Broad is decent, Anderson is inconsistent, Flintoff is returning from injury. However I think we'll lack penetration if Broad and Anderson are off colour and I wonder how much Flintoff can bowl.

I think this is a bit harsh tbh.

Cook has recently started getting big scores again and whether or not he gets centuries, he always scores runs. I'm not convinced yet over Bopara being a number three but three straight centuries albeit against far weaker opponents shows he can get big runs and is in great form - how come you're mentioning his debut now? I agree Pietersen's out of form but the Ashes should bring his desire back into test cricket. Collingwood may be a Mackem but he's still a good batsman - seems to have turned it around after potentially playing his last test last summer. He's looked very good since then. Prior is averaging near 50 with the bat in test cricket, which is comfortably more than Australia's keeper (keeping is an issue though).

As for the Aussies, I don't think they have enough quality in their side to thrash us, even if they get their shizzle together. Hauritz is a shocking spinner, whereas Swann is class. Apparently their new guy Hughes is being found out and his early great form will end at some point. Ponting and Hussey look very much out of form. On paper I'd say the Aussies are a better side, but I think especially with this being at home, it will be a tight series.

Guest alex
I don't get why the ashes is made out to be such a big deal

Effectively a week long grudge match that no one else in the cricketing world cares about isn't it?

no clue about cricket really, no idea how people can stick watching it on the tele from the glimpses i have seen.

Doesn't stop you commenting on football ;)

The bit in italics is complete bollocks as well btw.

Guest alex
I don't get why the ashes is made out to be such a big deal

Effectively a week long grudge match that no one else in the cricketing world cares about isn't it?

no clue about cricket really, no idea how people can stick watching it on the tele from the glimpses i have seen.

Doesn't stop you commenting on football ;)

The bit in italics is complete bollocks as well btw.

hence why it ended in a questionmark, is it not just a match between England and the Aussies though? or does it actually count for something (like qualifiers for a world cup or whatever)

just don't understand why its such a bigdeal, kinda reminds me of a grudge/derby match .

Well it doesn't last a week, does it?

And test cricket is the pinnacle of cricket, rather the World Cup which is a one-day tournament (and absolutely shit now due to the overlong format).

It's basically the first (and therefore the oldest) Test / international rivalry in cricket, which is why it's a big deal. England play in it as well, so it gets coverage here :lol:

Edited by alex

Guest alex
well the "week" was a guesstimate i knew it was longer than a day or two, how long does it go on for then?

Five five-day matches. Matches can last up to a max of five days.

seems cricket is one of those sports you either love or hate, and won't watch just for a small interest now and again (like the F1 for me)

so it's basically like a friendly match? (except without it being that friendly..) and because it's the aussies and they're the old enemy or whatever its a bigger deal.

No, it's really not a friendly match at all. It's like a Rugby Union test (that's the nearest equivalent), i.e. something akin to a Lions Series. But it's competitive in terms of there's no higher level as opposed to just literally being 'competitive'. There is a Test World Ranking at stake too. Everyone plays everyone over a period of (I think) four years and the one with the most points is top of the tree. There was a recent(-ish) Australia v World XI series after Australia were crowned 'World Champions' although that may not be repeated as it was a bit of a damp squib. You couldn't have a World Cup for test match cricket because it was just take too long.

can understand the Test bit being better than a one day game though, guess makes it a better win that the team consistently doing well over the course win rather than just having a good day.

The two are just different formats really, almost like 5-a-side compared to normal football. But you're right about the consistency required.

Seen the odd kid playing it over here in salubrious Holywood as it happens ;)

The Duckworth Lewis Method release their eponymous maiden album on Monday, July 6, exquisitely timed to coincide with this summer’s Ashes tour. For the next seven days Times Online readers can listen to the album here exclusively.

Written by Duckworth (Thomas Walsh) and Lewis (Neil Hannon) the album was recorded and mixed in Dublin and mastered just down the road from Lord’s in Abbey Road Studios.

All the songs are either loosely or tightly connected to the beautiful game of cricket, there are no covers, extra covers or cover drives for that matter. These are all wonderfully crafted pop songs for cricket lovers and non-lovers equally to enjoy.

Above is an animated version of Jiggery Pokery, which tells the tale of the ball of the century bowled to Mike Gatting and features guest vocal cameos from Phill Jupitus, Alexander Armstrong and Matt Berry.

"The Duckworth Lewis Method is an album steeped in the love of cricket and pop. The resultant twelve songs are a cacophony of leather and willow turning through a cosmos of searing melodies and all round tunes,” says Duckworth in his post match interview.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle6568537.ece

I don't follow the cricket, but that's class.

;)

Edited by Happy Face

The Duckworth Lewis Method release their eponymous maiden album on Monday, July 6, exquisitely timed to coincide with this summer’s Ashes tour. For the next seven days Times Online readers can listen to the album here exclusively.

Written by Duckworth (Thomas Walsh) and Lewis (Neil Hannon) the album was recorded and mixed in Dublin and mastered just down the road from Lord’s in Abbey Road Studios.

All the songs are either loosely or tightly connected to the beautiful game of cricket, there are no covers, extra covers or cover drives for that matter. These are all wonderfully crafted pop songs for cricket lovers and non-lovers equally to enjoy.

Above is an animated version of Jiggery Pokery, which tells the tale of the ball of the century bowled to Mike Gatting and features guest vocal cameos from Phill Jupitus, Alexander Armstrong and Matt Berry.

"The Duckworth Lewis Method is an album steeped in the love of cricket and pop. The resultant twelve songs are a cacophony of leather and willow turning through a cosmos of searing melodies and all round tunes,” says Duckworth in his post match interview.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle6568537.ece

I don't follow the cricket, but that's class.

:lol:

The Myspace version doesn't dub out the sweary bit of Jiggery Pokery (which I've now listened to 6 times and is the best track of the year).

http://www.myspace.com/dlmethod

"I HATE SHANE WARNE!!"

;)

Cook has recently started getting big scores again and whether or not he gets centuries, he always scores runs. I'm not convinced yet over Bopara being a number three but three straight centuries albeit against far weaker opponents shows he can get big runs and is in great form - how come you're mentioning his debut now? I agree Pietersen's out of form but the Ashes should bring his desire back into test cricket. Collingwood may be a Mackem but he's still a good batsman - seems to have turned it around after potentially playing his last test last summer. He's looked very good since then. Prior is averaging near 50 with the bat in test cricket, which is comfortably more than Australia's keeper (keeping is an issue though).

As for the Aussies, I don't think they have enough quality in their side to thrash us, even if they get their shizzle together. Hauritz is a shocking spinner, whereas Swann is class. Apparently their new guy Hughes is being found out and his early great form will end at some point. Ponting and Hussey look very much out of form. On paper I'd say the Aussies are a better side, but I think especially with this being at home, it will be a tight series.

Well it's OK looking good against weaker opposition like the Windies. My point about Cook is that he has serious flaws in his technique driving the ball which well organised opponents will exploit. Maybe he will move his feet and line the ball up properly this summer but you can bet the Aussies will be all over it.

My point about Bopara's debut was that when faced with a pressure situation against decent opposition he folded like a pack of cards. Now that was some time ago and on tour abroad but a nice little run against weaker opposition doesn't really count. Both Bopara and Cook were the beneficiaries of lax fielding and iirc were both dropped by the Windies on their way to centuries. The Aussies won't be as generous.

My comment about Collingwood was tongue in cheek. I do like him as a player - tough and determined - but he lacks consistency. His record against the Aussies, a couple of innings aside, isn't very good. His best days might be behind him. Prior is a decent enough middle order batsman but he hasn't proven himself against the top test teams.

We collapsed against he Windies on tour and I can easily see us collapsing again if the Aussies are tight and focussed. Having said that, the reverse is equally true but I'm not as confident as you, let's say. A shite start and we might never recover in the series.

Well it's OK looking good against weaker opposition like the Windies. My point about Cook is that he has serious flaws in his technique driving the ball which well organised opponents will exploit. Maybe he will move his feet and line the ball up properly this summer but you can bet the Aussies will be all over it.

My point about Bopara's debut was that when faced with a pressure situation against decent opposition he folded like a pack of cards. Now that was some time ago and on tour abroad but a nice little run against weaker opposition doesn't really count. Both Bopara and Cook were the beneficiaries of lax fielding and iirc were both dropped by the Windies on their way to centuries. The Aussies won't be as generous.

My comment about Collingwood was tongue in cheek. I do like him as a player - tough and determined - but he lacks consistency. His record against the Aussies, a couple of innings aside, isn't very good. His best days might be behind him. Prior is a decent enough middle order batsman but he hasn't proven himself against the top test teams.

We collapsed against he Windies on tour and I can easily see us collapsing again if the Aussies are tight and focussed. Having said that, the reverse is equally true but I'm not as confident as you, let's say. A shite start and we might never recover in the series.

Yeah we collapsed dismally against the Windies which was embarassing, though I'm hoping the team has toughened up since then (played a lot better since then at least) and I'm guessing a lot of psyching up for the Ashes has been done. I'm not actually that confident - I'm predicting a 2-2 draw or 2-1 to the Aussies, so I see the Aussies retaining the Ashes as the most likely outcome. However their team is not without its problems and England has potential matchwinners - it all depends on how the players do on the day. Very much looking forward to this series even if a repeat of 2005 is very unlikely. :lol: