The Ashes

smoggeordie

I know fuck all about cricket really apart from Jeffrey Boycot is a tool who should support Leeds rather than Man Utd, but let me get this straight..with England's fight back this morning we're doing ok? Australia got 481 the first innings, so does the score from both innings get added together. So in effect 260 and 309 for England is 569. So if you cancel out the Aussies innings and say the first innings of both of them was 0-0. England are 88 for 1. That's areet isn't it? I just want England to win because of the mouthy Aussie's in my company, they really are mouthy, scousers in the sun I call them.

:lol:

I never knew he was a dirty rag like? What a bell end :razz:

Our school never played cricket, it was just for the grammar school toffs. I can appreciate the technical side of it like and also enjoy it as a backdrop to a day on the sauce. I only really take an interest if we're playing the Australians though because it winds them up to fuck if we win.

Basically we've gone from likely to lose this test to it now looking like an odds-on draw. No bragging rights then as such but it was just nice to see the resiliance from an England batting display with backs to the wall. Strauss was on a pair when he came in so the first ball must have felt like the equivalent of a world cup penalty to him. And a draw's still slightly better for us than them on balance as we only have to draw the series to retain the Ashes.

How a draw though, surely if we get more points than them we win?

You pulling my chain now, Steven? ;)

I know fuck all about cricket. Do we just say to them, look we'll just call it a draw eh?

I'm a cricket JCL myself, but I can answer this one: let's say England get skittled out tomorrow with a lead of 300, and Australia go in to bat. Three results can still happen:

- England bowl the Aussies out for <300 = England Win

- Aussies knock off the runs = Aussie win

- Aussies don't knock off the runs, but haven't lost all their wickets come the end of the day's play = Draw

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know fuck all about cricket really apart from Jeffrey Boycot is a tool who should support Leeds rather than Man Utd, but let me get this straight..with England's fight back this morning we're doing ok? Australia got 481 the first innings, so does the score from both innings get added together. So in effect 260 and 309 for England is 569. So if you cancel out the Aussies innings and say the first innings of both of them was 0-0. England are 88 for 1. That's areet isn't it? I just want England to win because of the mouthy Aussie's in my company, they really are mouthy, scousers in the sun I call them.

:lol:

I never knew he was a dirty rag like? What a bell end :razz:

Our school never played cricket, it was just for the grammar school toffs. I can appreciate the technical side of it like and also enjoy it as a backdrop to a day on the sauce. I only really take an interest if we're playing the Australians though because it winds them up to fuck if we win.

Basically we've gone from likely to lose this test to it now looking like an odds-on draw. No bragging rights then as such but it was just nice to see the resiliance from an England batting display with backs to the wall. Strauss was on a pair when he came in so the first ball must have felt like the equivalent of a world cup penalty to him. And a draw's still slightly better for us than them on balance as we only have to draw the series to retain the Ashes.

How a draw though, surely if we get more points than them we win?

You pulling my chain now, Steven? ;)

I know fuck all about cricket. Do we just say to them, look we'll just call it a draw eh?

I'm a cricket JCL myself, but I can answer this one: let's say England get skittled out tomorrow with a lead of 300, and Australia go in to bat. Three results can still happen:

- England bowl the Aussies out for <300 = England Win

- Aussies knock off the runs = Aussie win

- Aussies don't knock off the runs, but haven't lost all their wickets come the end of the day's play = Draw

If we can bat till mid afternoon we could put them in with a target they can't chase down in the time giving them a session and a half to see out. The wicket is pretty lifeless but the Aussies won't fancy that, especially if the real swanny comes to the party. His first Innings was the worst I've seen him bowl since he got into the side. Another 150 runs on the board will make it interesting. This is proper test match cricket with swings both way in momentum. Bring it on!

One things for sure, that Australian attack is the most toothless I've seen. The barmy army were singing "one Mitchell Johnson" at one point :lol:

If we can bat till mid afternoon we could put them in with a target they can't chase down in the time giving them a session and a half to see out. The wicket is pretty lifeless but the Aussies won't fancy that, especially if the real swanny comes to the party. His first Innings was the worst I've seen him bowl since he got into the side. Another 150 runs on the board will make it interesting. This is proper test match cricket with swings both way in momentum. Bring it on!

One things for sure, that Australian attack is the most toothless I've seen. The barmy army were singing "one Mitchell Johnson" at one point :lol:

Stating the obvious but Swann really needs to turn up for the second innings like. The rest bowled well at the start of the innings (with no reward), but he just didn't contribute at all. The faster lads are always going to tire a lot sooner (mentally as well as physically) if they haven't got Swann making the top order play a rounder game in between facing the faster balls.

Stayed up for the whole days play and it was well worth it, previously managed about 4-4:30 for the other days!

As people have said the aussies have an ordinary attack, the freak of a siddle hattrick gave the first innings a lower score than would have been achieved. But England were outstanding throughout, not just losing the one wicket but scoring at a good rate all the time, never letting any pressure build on them.

Could be another of those draws pulled from defeat which they kick on from like Cardiff last time and take all the momentum into the next test. And Swann will step up next time he bowls, there's no way he'll struggle like that next time, with Anderson looking like he can do much better down under than in the past. Broad didn't do badly and Finn for his first ever ashes and first time in australia couldn't have done much more than take 6 wickets.

Stayed up for the whole days play and it was well worth it, previously managed about 4-4:30 for the other days!

As people have said the aussies have an ordinary attack, the freak of a siddle hattrick gave the first innings a lower score than would have been achieved. But England were outstanding throughout, not just losing the one wicket but scoring at a good rate all the time, never letting any pressure build on them.

Could be another of those draws pulled from defeat which they kick on from like Cardiff last time and take all the momentum into the next test. And Swann will step up next time he bowls, there's no way he'll struggle like that next time, with Anderson looking like he can do much better down under than in the past. Broad didn't do badly and Finn for his first ever ashes and first time in australia couldn't have done much more than take 6 wickets.

Awesome response from England. Aussie media are circling over Johnson in particular and have been pointing out that with a bit more luck England would have got out Hussey and had them in real trouble. Whatever happens hopefully this will set up the Ashes for a real contest, there seems a bit more backbone to this England than on previous Ashes tours.

Its cracking entertainment at the moment,Aussies in thir own backyard, no fans there, England fans making all the noise, taking the piss as the payers cruise along. And when they did make a mistake the aussies dropped the easiest of catches!

Its cracking entertainment at the moment,Aussies in thir own backyard, no fans there, England fans making all the noise, taking the piss as the payers cruise along. And when they did make a mistake the aussies dropped the easiest of catches!

Entertainment for you, but it is frustrating the hell out of me!

ah. It's you.

Yeah, been on the other end plenty of times with England, hard to watch when it happens!

England definitely with all the momentum going into the second test. The official result will be draw but the moral victory is certainly to the Pommies. Mitchell Johnson definitely deserves some criticism, he's been struggling for almost a year now, in this test match he's bowling stats have been terrible, he's dropped a sitter in the field and he's got out for a duck. Michael Clarke should never have played as he is a passenger with his bad back. We lack any serious spinning options which will not bode well in Adelaide starting Friday.

Looking at England the top and middle order are all in form. Peterson is one good knock away from a big score. Strauss, Cook and Bell all look very comfortable playing in our conditions. Steve Finn's gaining a bit of confidence and Jimmy Anderson has been real unlucky not to pick up a few more wickets, but he certainly looks dangerous. Graeme Swann may come into his own on the Adelaide turf.

The last couple of days have been awesome to be at -- day three not so much, mind -- and because of the low crowd today (seriously, why were there no Aussies there?) I got to mix in with the Barmy Army properly, which was incredible.

Has anyone seen any photos/videos of the Barmy Army from day five? There's one on the BBC slide show, number 12, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Anything similar to that would be ace. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/9236421.stm

Had a look on Guardian, Telegraph, Cricinfo etc but haven't seen much.

The last couple of days have been awesome to be at -- day three not so much, mind -- and because of the low crowd today (seriously, why were there no Aussies there?) I got to mix in with the Barmy Army properly, which was incredible.

Has anyone seen any photos/videos of the Barmy Army from day five? There's one on the BBC slide show, number 12, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Anything similar to that would be ace. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/9236421.stm

Had a look on Guardian, Telegraph, Cricinfo etc but haven't seen much.

Work day man. Plus, with the wicket the way it was, people knew it would be a draw.

What about Mitchell Johnson's wide ball, you lot must have given him so much stick. Worse than Harmison's four years ago. He has to go.

Edited by Ken