The Ashes

smoggeordie

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a real glory hunter when it comes to the cricket. if England have are winning I will be following it avidly, and absolutely loving it if they are stuffing the Aussies. A close series with will have me obsessed, and full of jingoistic bombast if we win - but to be honest losing wouldn't really affect me in the slightest.

I hope we win because I will thoroughly enjoy it, but if England aren't winning I will lose all interest, and genuinely not care.

Bit of a no lose for me.

I guess I'm not going to care then

I withdraw my comments about the advantages of winning the toss.................

Strange pitch though, none of the pundits could agree what the best call was. They all assumed that it was a no brainer to bat first but Michael Holden was saying have a bowl due to the rain they'd had.

I stayed up till about 4am and went to sleep with us 117 for 3 thinking, not bad, couple of good partnerships and we're looking good and i wake up to 260 all out!

Few really bad things happened in that Strauss chucked his wicket away when you want your captain to lay down a marker from the start and as the pundits have said, if your captain loses confidence it spreads, luckilly i think he'll bounce back with a big score pretty quick. Then we gave confidence to some of their bowlers with wickets and didnt get a decent score when winning the toss.

What's more annoying is aside from Watson a bit, from what i saw not one of their bowlers should worry you that much and are all their for the taking, its really not the kind of aussie attack you expect to see.

Still, couple of early wickets and the game is far from over, and even if it goes badly this team has a very good habit of responding to defeat with a cracking performance next game.

Disappointing. Too many cheap wickets given away, and on form Bell is currently wasted at 6; needs to be higher than Colly who's STILL out of nick.

Hopefully our quicks will be able to find something tonight. Good that Cook got off to a reasonable start too, as the crims would've been looking to target him.

Disappointing. Too many cheap wickets given away, and on form Bell is currently wasted at 6; needs to be higher than Colly who's STILL out of nick.

Hopefully our quicks will be able to find something tonight. Good that Cook got off to a reasonable start too, as the crims would've been looking to target him.

Cook and Pietersen were definitely the positives, like you say Cook would be targeted, and KP was showing signs that he'll score well against the aussies again. Agree about Bell, i'd have started him at 5 as he's in good form and Collingwood can do a good job at 6.

Got up early to watch the end of the afternoon session and sodding bad light stopped proceedings! It's pretty finely poised now. If we can get Haddin and hussey out early doors with the new ball it's game on

I'm guessing from the Aussie scorecard Ponting and Katich went straight after lunch then? :lol: Bastards! Thought about trying to stay up later for a bit of the second session but after the morning's lack of any real fizz I could barely keep my eyes open.

Glad I missed Hussey building his total anyway. As Dan says, imperitive to get him with the new ball and then then who knows.

I withdraw my comments about the advantages of winning the toss.................

Strange pitch though, none of the pundits could agree what the best call was. They all assumed that it was a no brainer to bat first but Michael Holden was saying have a bowl due to the rain they'd had.

The wicket will harden the next two days, as long as they keep the rain off it, so it will be batting friendly. Looking like a draw here, well at least I think the Poms have no chance to win. Big wraps on Steve Finn before this kicked off but he's done nothing, once again you'll rely on Swann to produce on what you hope will be a slow, churning wicket on day 5... nee chance.

Anybody else surprised Peter Siddle turned 26 yesterday?

Fuck me, he looks aged.

England and particularly Anderson having no luck whatsoever here, Hussey was LBW but no reviews and he's beaten him time and again here with no reward. You just know they'll spawn their way through to the ball being dead and then make some runs when its easy going.

Yep, Jimmy Anderson's doing all the work himself for no reward. The shackles have been released and Hussey should get his century now.

Edited by Ken

A well earned century by Mr Cricket. There were strong calls for Hussey's head but he's answered those critics in style. Wonderful ebb and flow in this match and it swings in Australia's favour now.