The Ashes

smoggeordie

I agree with Papa Laz. The chances of Australia winning from this position are slim to none, they're going to be playing for a draw so I think we need to get them batting ASAP and take full advantage of the two apparently (heavy) rain free days we have on a Lords pitch. Strauss has got to go for it.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with PL too. If you can't defend 520 you don't deserve to win. If you can't take ten wickets in two days you don't deserve to win.

TMS read out the stats, highest 4th innings score to save a test, highest 4th innings score to win a test, highest 4th innings score by the aussies, highest 4th innings score at Lords; barring a freak happening we're safe.

Based on the Windies tests, where we were very conservative on declarations despite being 1-0 down, I think England will go in this morning and swing the willow for an hour or so to get to 600 a la Smoggeordie. It also dovetails nicely with Freddy Flintoff's farewell to test cricket if he peppers a few to the boundary at Lords and makes a 50.

Personally I would have made Australia follow on. They've hardly ever followed on so it would have been both humiliating and added huge pressure. We've got plenty of runs so I agree we should declare overnight and get into them.

this could go either way.

Aus could possibly score 200 runs & win, England could get 5 wickets & win, or it could end in a draw (unlikely unless it rains).

Edited by ender4

That was probably the last bowl of his hour and a half spell too. Umpire no-balled the previous ball. 26 overs 5-82. Brilliant stuff Freddy. Last man in for the Aussies.