Higher rate tax band to be raised to 50%

Douggy B

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of someone on 180k getting 18k of the last 30 they get 15k - I don't see that as evil.

Income tax is the wrong target imo - I'd rather they repealed all the tax evasion laws and targetted inherited wealth.

How many people on here are even going to be affected tbh? None I'd wager.

Well if it was the same people who were getting hit at 40% before, then is it not anyone on around 35-40k p.a.?

Am not sure about that, am far from up to date with these things, but the figure may well be not as high as you think.

Well if it was the same people who were getting hit at 40% before, then is it not anyone on around 35-40k p.a.?

Am not sure about that, am far from up to date with these things, but the figure may well be not as high as you think.

The threshold for the 50% band is a lot higher than the 40% one. They're not doing with the 40% band.

You'd need to earn £150,000 to be affected by this new rate. My heart bleeds.

Watch this countries bright sparks and wealth generators move abroard.

Wey there's not much better to be had in the rest of Europe or America. They're welcome to try China and India if they fancy it.

Has the earnings for 40% not changed then?

Has the earnings for 40% not changed then?

No

What, like bankers, stock brokers and footballers? Good riddance.

£150 K is a lot more than most professionals earn and don't forget you only pay the excess on money earned above this level. Danny B showing himself to be a good old Thatcher boy tbh.

£150 K is a lot more than most professionals earn and don't forget you only pay the excess on money earned above this level. Danny B showing himself to be a good old Thatcher boy tbh.

Like innovators, idea merchants, small company owners and sole traders.

Nothing strangles an economic growth like over taxation.

Isn't that one of the major reasons for the way those institutions who have had to bailed out recently behaved? "give us de-regulation, so we can behave in a financially reckless way or we, and our taxes (such as they are) will go abroad"

De-regulation, the CoL's "Big Bang" etc, was all brought in under the Tories to keep their mates happy. By the time Labour came in stricter regulation in a global financial marketplace was virtually impossible for any Government. Yet Brown gets it in the neck for this. He's got plenty wrong, but it strikes me that there isn't a lot he could do on this. Horse,stable door and bolted springs to mind.

Of course Danny, all those people are going to up sticks and go exactly where? Funny how other economies with higher tax rates never seem to be affected by this so-called brain drain.

Edit: What exactly is an idea merchant anyway? Or a sole trader for that matter, a posh fishmonger or a cobbler?

Edited by Renton

Isn't that one of the major reasons for the way those institutions who have had to bailed out recently behaved? "give us de-regulation, so we can behave in a financially reckless way or we, and our taxes (such as they are) will go abroad"

De-regulation, the CoL's "Big Bang" etc, was all brought in under the Tories to keep their mates happy. By the time Labour came in stricter regulation in a global financial marketplace was virtually impossible for any Government. Yet Brown gets it in the neck for this. He's got plenty wrong, but it strikes me that there isn't a lot he could do on this. Horse,stable door and bolted springs to mind.

Absolute rubbish, it was Labours decision to move control of the banking industry to the FSA from the BOA that allowed this to happen.

Of course Danny, all those people are going to up sticks and go exactly where? Funny how other economies with higher tax rates never seem to be affected by this so-called brain drain.

They are.

That Scandinavia is a proper backward society, mind.

They are.

Why don't they in other countries Danny? And where are they going to? Even the tories are particularly objecting to this rate btw, which is nowhere near what it was historically under Labour governments.

Absolute rubbish, it was Labours decision to move control of the banking industry to the FSA from the BOA that allowed this to happen.

So the "BOA" (I take it you mean the Bank of England?) would've told HBOS not to get into bed with the American sub prime lenders? or Northern Rock not to lend 125% mortgages?

The whole thing is a mess though.

The ISA changes are just more spin, an extra £3000 if you're over 50, I can't see how that will really help anyone (especially with interest rates as they are), if you were actually genuinely trying to encourage "saving" then the limit should probably be double that for a start.

And the £2000 car thing is probably going to hit a lot of people that can't afford new cars anyway (£2000 off or not), and will really support jobs and places outside the UK. :nufc:

Edited by Fop