What age do you start becoming condescending?

Guest Stevie

What age do you start thinking aye younguns haven't got a clue "listen son..."  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Stevie

Lots of people might give sarcastic replies to this poll, but what age do you think you start thinking you are the voice of experience, and become more rigid in your views? Whether people want to admit it or not, it happens to everybody at some point, nice bloke he can be on here, I can't think of a more classic example than Alex.

For me it's when you get to your late 20's, where you just think, aye just pipe down a bit son, maybe you're not honest enough to be self-critical like I am, but I think it happens to us all eventually.

yeah late 20's, but i think a lot of it has to do with the age of the person you are telling to pipe down. i would say it could be any age if the person you are talking to is 5-10 years your junior, we just start realising in our late 20's

Age probably makes you more condescending, but I don't accept it necessarily makes you more rigid in your views. Everything used to be black and white for me, now it's all shades of grey. Mind, some people do get hopelessly entrenched in their views as they age; two of the older board members are testament to this imo.

I've always been a condescending little shit. I reckon I've become more dismissive of "kids" as I get older though. I don't have that much interaction with teenagers, but I'd wager that I'd not be that tolerant of their world views.

Age probably makes you more condescending, but I don't accept it necessarily makes you more rigid in your views. Everything used to be black and white for me, now it's all shades of grey. Mind, some people do get hopelessly entrenched in their views as they age; two of the older board members are testament to this imo.

Perfectly summing up the 'smarter than anyone older, wiser than anyone youger' view we all have.

I seem to have become less rigid in my views as I've got older, now I can see both sides of a story, like Renton says its all shades of grey! Which annoys me sometimes! I suppose life's experiences have left their mark, things arent always as they seem. I dont think age maes you more condescending, just more confident, you just dont care what others think so much.

agreed, i don't mean stuck with blinders on...talking about the "good ol' days", i think it happens to everyone at some point though when times have changed enough that a younger person's point of view is far enough askew from our own that the urge to "tell 'im like it really is" kicks in

I've always been a condescending little shit. I reckon I've become more dismissive of "kids" as I get older though. I don't have that much interaction with teenagers, but I'd wager that I'd not be that tolerant of their world views.

scary thing is a large portion of the teenage (and adult for that matter) population don't have world views, to much emphasis these days on consuming not enough about the general state of the world. globalization has not brought the "percieved prosperity" to the masses as was hoped, instead it has brought McRib sanwiches, coke zero, "smart"phones and a insatiable desire for whatever is on the front page of next years catalogue

(HAHAHA.......good thread stevie)

Guest Stevie
I seem to have become less rigid in my views as I've got older, now I can see both sides of a story, like Renton says its all shades of grey! Which annoys me sometimes! I suppose life's experiences have left their mark, things arent always as they seem. I dont think age maes you more condescending, just more confident, you just dont care what others think so much.

100% true. The amount of times I find myself thinking look just pipe down you, you know nothing, why talk, just pipe yourself right down, particularly with younger people. It's part of most people's nature I think.

Guest Stevie

scary thing is a large portion of the teenage (and adult for that matter) population don't have world views, to much emphasis these days on consuming not enough about the general state of the world. globalization has not brought the "percieved prosperity" to the masses as was hoped, instead it has brought McRib sanwiches, coke zero, "smart"phones and a insatiable desire for whatever is on the front page of next years catalogue

You know what, I reckon half the people in the world, probably more just don't give a fuck, or don't know. They're so narrow minded, and have no interest in expanding their knowledge in any way shape or form. As sad as it sounds I'm often on wiki having a look at the most bizare things, because I have an appetite for new things. People could go through their life in Englanbd never having been to London let alone going abroad. I know a scouse solicitor, a pretend one who defends shoplifters etc... who has been to London 9 times, Wembley all of those times, who describes London as a shithole and Londoners as cunts based on Wembley. I'm ashamed to say my lifes philosophy more and more is you are a cunt till proven otherwise, and I look down my nose at more people than I ever used to.

You know what, I reckon half the people in the world, probably more just don't give a fuck, or don't know. They're so narrow minded, and have no interest in expanding their knowledge in any way shape or form. As sad as it sounds I'm often on wiki having a look at the most bizare things, because I have an appetite for new things. People could go through their life in Englanbd never having been to London let alone going abroad. I know a scouse solicitor, a pretend one who defends shoplifters etc... who has been to London 9 times, Wembley all of those times, who describes London as a shithole and Londoners as cunts based on Wembley. I'm ashamed to say my lifes philosophy more and more is you are a cunt till proven otherwise, and I look down my nose at more people than I ever used to.

Thats basically the last phase of thinking before you finally grow-up, whereupon you then tend not to pre-judge anyone and take people as they come, filtering out the cunts quickly and making time for the people whose interactions you value.

As i said Stevie, 35 is when you are finally as condescending as you can be :aussie: