Ashley set for quick sale....

Ketsbaia

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/foot...-relegated.html

MIKE ASHLEY is facing an £840million 12-month LOSS to his fortune by flogging Newcastle if the club go down.

The Toon owner, who has poured £260m into the Magpies, is ready to sell for £120m. That deficit is on top of the £700m he is reported to have lost in the recession.

Sportswear tycoon Ashley is prepared to sell Newcastle on the cheap if Alan Shearer cannot fight off relegation.

Two consortiums are believed to be lining up approaches for a quick and comparatively cheap takeover.

Ashley, who bought the club for £180m and has spent another £80m, failed to find a buyer when he attempted to sell the club last year, but then he was asking for more than £300m.

Now he is facing a massive £140m LOSS with the club's value expected to hit rock bottom.

It comes at a time when Ashley's fortune has been HALVED by the recession.

Last year, the Sunday Times Rich List reported he was worth £1.398billion - but in the new list, published today, the figure is down to £700m. And the Geordie club will see revenue cut by around a third if they cannot hang onto their Premier League status.

The severity of their financial position means any cut would lead to wage levels almost matching turnover.

Newcastle's turnover last year was £99.4m - but their wage bill spiralled to £62.6m.

Experts reckon they will lose £35m a year if they drop out of the top-flight.

They would face a cut in TV revenues, a drop in corporate hospitality, merchandising sales would fall and gate receipts would suffer.

A city source said: "If Newcastle go down, things will change very quickly.

"There will be conjecture over plans and terms but it will be a quick sale. He will cut his losses and run."

Crucially, as revealed in Sport of the World earlier in the season, there are no relegation clauses that would decrease player salaries if they go down.

Newcastle have 10 players picking up more than £50,000 a week and eight of those deals have more than 12 months to run.

That would increase any desire to sell - and see a firesale in an attempt to balance the books.

But significantly, Alan Shearer has so far given every indication he sees his role in the Toon hot-seat as a permanent one.

He will not discuss the position or any contract until the club's predicament is finalised and Joe Kinnear's position is resolved.

But he has laid plans beyond this season and his desire to arrest Newcastle's dramatic demise has greatly increased the appeal to would-be buyers.

Sport of the World has learned that the stand-in Newcastle boss has met and assured disaffected players that they will be part of next season's plans.

Shearer held crunch talks Habib Beye last week and told the Senagalese defender he had a big future at the club.

He also met with the Oba Martins and Mark Viduka and told them they would be key to Newcastle staying up, despite injury-ravaged campaigns.

Beye said: "Everyone is pulling in the same direction now. Shearer has brought spirit. If you are in the bottom three, it is for a reason. He came to bring heart.

Doesn't make the prospect of relegation any more paletable :aussie:

Why? There's a load of bluster about how he's 'cleared our debts' but the facts hardly paint him to be some kind of fiscal genius. The wage bill has increased since he bought the club, we're in debt to him (if he keeps losing money had over fist i'd imagine he'll want a fair portion of his investment back) and most worryingly of all we're on the brink of relegation, which will be more disasterous for this club that this mythical shit storm.

The bloke is a gonk and any illusion of his sound business acumen went out of the window when he started spread betting on shares and fucking off recently appointed managers for his two pals.

I really think a shit storm is coming to football and you all may be kissing ashleys backside, championship or otherwise.

i agree

all clubs with debt are potentially very very fucked if interest rates go up

I'll bet if there's a grain of truth in that, if he did sell for £120m, he'd keep the loan.

Depending on who's allegedly interested and what their long term plans are I'd see this as a positive - don't forget that the Mackems walked the league with a modest spend under Keane.

A year of going to different places but with an element of long term hope as a backdrop sounds better than another "let's finish 17th" season under Ashley.

If he sells us because he is fucked financially, he will want every penny back he invested. Likely sell the club, lets say for £120M but as above, will expect repayment. So its hardly a cut price sale.

Keeps us if we stay up... sells us if we go down!

Really has the club's best interests at heart, doesn't he? Sure you're not confusuing that with your pocket Mike? :aussie:

Keeps us if we stay up... sells us if we go down!

Really has the club's best interests at heart, doesn't he? Sure you're not confusuing that with your pocket Mike? :aussie:

It really does turn your stomach though, suddenly you get all these thoughts that you really dont want to be thinking. I do honestly believe that if we dont go down this season then we will next. As much as it pains me to even contemplate it then the likes of this story just makes the prospect that bit more palatable. :alex:

with this thread, the freddie shepherd one, john carver, big announcement next week etc etc. Plus no comments from kinnear or the keegan tribunal, could this be building upto one mother fucker of all anouncements next week.

A new owner, fat fred at the helm, keegan as dof??????????

Conspiracy weekend time.

There is zero chance that would be announced next week.

No new owners would commit to buying the club now at Premiership prices, at the same time theres no way Fat Ash will sell up at Championship prices now.

I really think a shit storm is coming to football and you all may be kissing ashleys backside, championship or otherwise.

i agree

all clubs with debt are potentially very very fucked if interest rates go up

Not really.

I'll bet if there's a grain of truth in that, if he did sell for £120m, he'd keep the loan.

Depending on who's allegedly interested and what their long term plans are I'd see this as a positive - don't forget that the Mackems walked the league with a modest spend under Keane.

A year of going to different places but with an element of long term hope as a backdrop sounds better than another "let's finish 17th" season under Ashley.

Any sale would clear out the shareholder loans, otherwise you'd have bought a club but Ashley would still have a gun to your head.

Even debt free I think £120m is on the high side.

Noted, but they're still considered a yo-yo club and I think we would be the same - promoted one season, relegated the next. Only way clubs stay up is if there is serious investment to create a squad that can sustain premiership survival.

As for the 'year of going to new places renewing optimism', surely you remember that was the attitude back in the summer of 1989? Only for it to go sadly wrong when we didn't get straight back up.

Noted, but they're still considered a yo-yo club and I think we would be the same - promoted one season, relegated the next. Only way clubs stay up is if there is serious investment to create a squad that can sustain premiership survival.

As for the 'year of going to new places renewing optimism', surely you remember that was the attitude back in the summer of 1989? Only for it to go sadly wrong when we didn't get straight back up.

Aye it's much easier to build within the Premiership, look at Villa.

And frankly with Ashley whose to say the Championship would be where our completely self-inflicted nose dive would end? Who would have agreed if someone had said we'd be relegated this season when Ashley took control? Yet here we are.