The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Obnoxious prick or not, Mayweather was right to give him a thump in the circumstances. You defend yourself at all times - WTF was Ortiz doing? It's not a fucking hugging contest!

"give him a thump" <_<

He bopped him on the nose, good and proper. Boxed his ears. Duffed him right up.

:lol:

• 2 months later...

I just want Mayweather and Pacqiaou to hurry up and have their punch up. I want to take me mates £20 off him that he bet me, once Mayweather get his hand held in victory

it's the fight the whole world wants to see and it still hasn't happened. boxing is so frustrating at times.

I just want Mayweather and Pacqiaou to hurry up and have their punch up. I want to take me mates £20 off him that he bet me, once Mayweather get his hand held in victory

it's the fight the whole world wants to see and it still hasn't happened. boxing is so frustrating at times.

That's promoters for you.

Mayweather will win comfortably but he needs that career defining win which his resume is lacking at the moment.

I think there are big question marks over Pacman's possible steroid use and that extends through the sport as a whole because the testing is nowhere near rigorous enough.

makes no sense to me why you'd take performance enhancing drugs unless you were genetically predisposed to be a couple of weight divisions lighter and needed to bulk up. is that the craic with manny, that he by default isn't the right size / weight combo, or is there something more sinister?

It's more about the huge fuss that has been made over the suggestion of olympic-style testing. Why not do it? It extends to the sport as a whole, because the testing isn't rigorous enough and there have been some very high-profile cases of top boxers using performance enhancers.

Manny has bulked up a lot, and quickly, over the last few years, and he's retained his speed whilst increasing his power. It's really quite extraordinary. His technique has improved a lot too and he is a smarter fighter than he was when he lost to Morales etc. I really like Pacman, and I'd be very disappointed to discover he was a juicer, but it's up to him to quash any doubts the fans have about that, and he's done the opposite with his reaction to the proposed measures. You can argue it's to do with the relationship (or lack thereof) between his camp and Mayweather's, but athletes should have a duty to the fans to show they are clean, or just go all out and get pumped on roids and fight wild animals instead.

He's hardly bulked up at all and his technique hasn't improved that much either, he's just better at throwing feint punches and uses his right hand better.

He's the product of good match making more than anything else.

The Fight of their Lives. Itv at 1035 tonight.

Documentary about Benn v McClelland. Should be worth a watch.

Haven't had the luxury of seeing that doco. G-Man was more of a natural light heavyweight though, and his weight cutting regime (leading up to fights) eventually bit him on the arse unfortunately ie. the effects of training induced 'brain drain'. I've read somewhere that he was incoherent and acting strange in the hours prior to stepping into the ring, and that he was damaged goods already.

Howay man. He's widely regarded as the best pound for pound fighter in the world

He was up there before he moved up from Super Featherweight anyway, it was only Mayweather keeping him off the top back then and the only reason Mayweather isn't ranked the best now is due to him not being active enough.

From memory the rankings back then were.

1. Mayweather

2. Pacquiao

3. Calzaghe

4. Marquez

5. Hopkins

you don't top the list of the world's best pound for pound if you're not a great fighter.

i'd love to see him get it on with mayweather. i honestly couldn't call which way it would go. i'm not sure mayweather could either, hence why the fight hasn't happened. all this calling him out for jucing is a crock of shit. he could make the fight happen if he wants.

The Fight of their Lives. Itv at 1035 tonight.

Documentary about Benn v McClelland. Should be worth a watch.

Was excellent. What a ragtag mob McLellan's corner was. They made Pauly and Mick seem competent, surely when they saw him blinking like someone from North Shields on a bad cowie, the towel should've been thrown. Very sad to see McLellan like he is, but he was a bit of a nob, mind so was Benn. I never liked Benn in those days even though he was the nations favourite when basically he was a mug, Eubank was a mug but I found him more likeable. Also I remain far from convinced Benn wasn't on steroids then, alright one minute, passing out the next, meaning no blood test, it certainly leaves that door of uncertainty open. What a cracking show though.

The only reason they brought up steroids was because that trainer of Mcellan's made an accusation after saying nothing for 15 years. Boxers collapse after fights quite often, if the boxing powers would actually sort out efficient testing then there wouldn't be a problem. The sport has such a history of corruption I don't think it'll ever be clean.

I couldn't help but laugh when that trainer was talking about the end of the fight when Mcellan collapsed in his corner: "I SPRAYED the WATER ON HIS HEEADD AN HE LOOK UP AT ME AN SAY SHIT IT FEEL LIKE THE WATER ON THE INSIDE OF MA HEADDD." It's scandalous that that bloke was granted a license.

Aye, I saw a bit of it and the blokes in his corner? Fuck me. Would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. I was a bigger fan of Eubank too funnily enough, although a lot of his fights were awful. He was no good if he had to take the fight to someone but he was a great defensive boxer. Which is why him and Benn were so suited to each other. He was involved in a tragic fight himself of course - with Michael Watson.

Aye, I saw a bit of it and the blokes in his corner? Fuck me. Would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. I was a bigger fan of Eubank too funnily enough, although a lot of his fights were awful. He was no good if he had to take the fight to someone but he was a great defensive boxer. Which is why him and Benn were so suited to each other. He was involved in a tragic fight himself of course - with Michael Watson.

Aye, Watson. He looked the spit of Leon Best. That era 89-95 the Super Middleweight division was the best division in a contained time frame in boxing history. People will mention the heavyweight scenes of the past, but the two fights at Old Trafford were amazing, as was McLellan Benn. Watson, McLellan, Benn, Eubank, Collins (proper cunt that bloke he'd have been in the IRA if he wasn't a boxer you can just tell) and James Toney. It was class. Toney though I don't think he ever fought wor fighters for some reason. I remember Benn and Eubank doing a talk in live on ITV about how much they hated each other, and Toney came on the phone, and started f'in and jeffin live on ITV, no one could believe it, he was saying he'd knock them clean out but he never got the opportunity.

Nah, the 80s with Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran was a much better era for boxing imo. There were some great fights in the period you mention but at times it felt like a glorified version of the British Championship that they were fighting for. Especially Eubank when he had the WBO version and fought a series of bums of ITV. The first Benn v Eubank fight and the Benn v Watson fight and (despite the outcome) Watson v Eubank match were all great fights though. They weren't at the level of middleweight boxing in the 80s or Heavyweight boxing in the 70s though.

you don't top the list of the world's best pound for pound if you're not a great fighter.

i'd love to see him get it on with mayweather. i honestly couldn't call which way it would go. i'm not sure mayweather could either, hence why the fight hasn't happened. all this calling him out for jucing is a crock of shit. he could make the fight happen if he wants.

Where did I say he wasn't a great fighter?

He's amazing against certain types of styles but put him in with someone with counter punching ability and movement and he's flawed.

Nah, the 80s with Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran was a much better era for boxing imo. There were some great fights in the period you mention but at times it felt like a glorified version of the British Championship that they were fighting for. Especially Eubank when he had the WBO version and fought a series of bums of ITV. The first Benn v Eubank fight and the Benn v Watson fight and (despite the outcome) Watson v Eubank match were all great fights though. They weren't at the level of middleweight boxing in the 80s or Heavyweight boxing in the 70s though.

Wilfred Benitez too, he was excellent.

How would you rate the 4 in order of legacy?

Where did I say he wasn't a great fighter?

He's amazing against certain types of styles but put him in with someone with counter punching ability and movement and he's flawed.

apologies, i was sure you said that but reading back through the thread i guess you didn't.

Plenty would disagree with that, and I'm one of them and we'd never know how our boxers would've performed on a level playing field against the likes Marvin Hagler and the hit man Hearns. It doesn't diminish how good they were as boxers because they were British, American boxing has been on the decline almost since then, when it utterly dominated every division for as long as people can remember.

I didn't watch the McClellan documentary but did it say what a scumbag he was and how he held illegal dog fights?

I'm sure you did watch it and you'll know it got a very brief mention.

I didn't watch the McClellan documentary but did it say what a scumbag he was and how he held illegal dog fights?

I'm sure you did watch it and you'll know it got a very brief mention.

Can't say I did watch it, I just know all about the history of the guy from posting in the British section of EastSideBoxing for years.

Wilfred Benitez too, he was excellent.

How would you rate the 4 in order of legacy?

God, that's a tough one. If you had to pick one of them to bet your house on, if they were all in their prime, I'd probably go for Hagler. But Sugar Ray was my favourite, as he was so great to watch and a true boxer (Hagler probably only lost to him because he got it into his head he should try and 'outbox' him though). Hearns was fantastic too. A great boxer with a devastating punch and a slightly dodgy chin, which pretty much guaranteed entertainment when he fought. His fight, than ended in 3 rounds, against Hagler is absolutely mental. Probably saw less of Duran than the others but he was obviously a great fighter too. I suppose Leonard would shade it in terms of legacy because of the comebacks after so long out, his longevity and being able to win titles at so many different weights.