The Boxing thread

Jimbo

I see Pacquaio v Mayweather is happening

They can hype it all they want but it's 3 years too late. The hype disappeared when Pacquaio lost back to back fights in 2012 for me

He clearly beat Bradley to be fair.

Think it'll be a anti-climactic points win for Mayweather. Too late in both their careers for it to be the explosive fight it might have been a few years back. Calling it the biggest fight ever is a bit like saying the Championship play-off is a bigger game than the CL Final. Still a very interesting match-up though.

Thought Carl Frampton looked absolute class the other night. Great for the sport to have a fight like that on terrestrial TV too.

• 4 months later...

There's a tribute to Carl Froch available as a podcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06447q4

Was on Radio 5 last night. Think he's been quite underrated as a fighter and should go down as one of the best boxers we've produced in the last couple of decades. Not a stylist but always entertaining with his all action style. Absolutely tough as fuck too. What a chin!

Edit: starts about 5 mins in.

Edited by Alex

he was in some entertaining fights but i never warmed to him as he always came across as an arrogant cock - not unique in the boxing world admittedly. i found myself rooting for groves in his last fight - it was pretty even, with groves doing quite well, until froch produced a brute of a blow to end it.

He had the game to back up the arrogance. Unlike Groves.

Anyone catch the Carl Frampton fight? He was lucky as such because he deservedly won on points but he made very hard work of it, especially in the early rounds. Down twice in round one and quite badly hurt in round two. Respect for coming back against what turned out to be a very awkward opponent.

• 1 month later...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/10/boxer-emile-griffith-gay-taunts-book-extract

I'd never heard of this bloke or this story. Worth a read.

I watched one of those 'top 20 greatest knockout' compilations on YouTube the other day. The lax attitude of refs back in the day was scary. Boxers were getting another 5-10 hits in to unconscious fighters before they would step in. Brutal stuff

He did but then he got a decision previously he shouldn't have in a similar manner, might have been one of the marquez fights can't remember, swings and roundabouts.

think mayweather will win this comfortably enough, much better defensively.

It was the third Marquez fight, although JMM always had his number.

Ward was the top rated, Bute was second.

I would have thought that too but according to the commentary he was ranked number 1 at the time iirc. Think it might've been by The Ring magazine. Bit odd seeing as, although he was unbeaten until then, he arguably hadn't fought anyone in the top echelons prior to Froch chinning him.

• 2 months later...