The Boxing thread

Jimbo

I didn't see it. Apparently he was well ahead on points but that's always the danger fighting such a bigger man - particularly with Kahn's dodgy chin

I like Canelo a lot but he needs to defend his middleweight belt against an actual middleweight, and not jnr middleweights and welterweights at barely 155lbs, I hope the GGG fight comes off, he's a true middleweight with a punch to match.

Props to Khan for taking the fight, not sure I think he was winning at the time but he was certainly competitive.

His loss had nowt to do with his chin. He was blowing out of his arse before the end of round 2 and was manhandled on the floor by a bigger man

He wouldn't get out of the 3rd round against Mayweather

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised at the outrage on Twitter at the whole David Haye farce, anyone with an ounce of boxing knowledge knew that was coming.

Didn't the tickets go on sale before the opponent was even announced?

Despite the recent revival in the division the dearth of talent in the heavyweight division is still pretty shocking. Going into the fight Gjergjaj was 29-0 with 21 KOs and Boxrec had him ranked at no.23 in the World. IN THE FUCKING WORLD :lol: I know he'd fought nobody of note but the only reason it went past the 1st is because Haye took his foot off the gas.

Fantastic performance by Tony Bellew at the weekend. Unbelievable the amount of world champions Britain has at present.

Also seems ridiculously late in the day to be moving the goalposts. Tell you who could easily win a medal btw - Amir Khan.

Can't see it happening

What's going to happen to the boxers training for the olympics for the past 4 years? Soz lads, I know you've spent all your money training for this summer but the multi millionaire world champion wants a bash instead

What's going to happen to the boxers training for the olympics for the past 4 years? Soz lads, I know you've spent all your money training for this summer but the multi millionaire world champion wants a bash instead

Aye that's what I was thinking, it's a big fuck you to amateur boxing.

It's a terrible idea like. Can't help but wonder if some big name is going to announce they want to compete because it makes no sense otherwise to bring this in at such a late stage. Top pros will either by in a training camp with a fight coming up or not in camp and overweight (even if they look after themselves they'll still be at least a stone heavier than their normal fighting weight you'd have thought). So that would pretty much rule all of them out unless they had some prior knowledge this was going to happen. And it seems to have taken most people in the boxing game by surprise.

it has happened it's been passed, it's just whether or not any of them go for the qualifying

That's what I mean though, just because it can happen doesn't mean it will. Why would a pro suddenly stick a head guard on and start boxing for free?

I like Canelo a lot but he needs to defend his middleweight belt against an actual middleweight, and not jnr middleweights and welterweights at barely 155lbs, I hope the GGG fight comes off, he's a true middleweight with a punch to match.

@@Jimbo What's been the reaction over there to him relinquishing his WBC mIddleweight belt and moving down to light-middleweight for his next fight? Looks like he's bottled out of fighting GGG

No shock really everyone seems to be petrified of taking him on, it's almost like a Tyson level where his reputation before he gets near a ring has lads crapping themselves , in saying that he'd KO Canelo

To quote Ricky Hatton, if you found GGG in bed with your missus, you'd tuck him in :D

Also, to be fair to Alvarez, he's a natural light-middleweight. His last few fights have been at the 155lbs catchweight and light-middleweight's limit it only one pound less than that anyway. It looked like an intriguing fight though but now it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Although I agree with your assessment of how it would turn out. Hopefully we'll see Andre Ward fight with Kovalev as that's the other fight I've really been looking forward to.