The Boxing thread

Jimbo

yeah, when we were kings is class. i had the rumble in the jungle full fights on VHS as well - there's a class moment after the fight when he's meant to be giving the interview and he basically tells the interviewer to be quiet - and the whole room basically shuts up straight away - while he addresses the camera and tells the world how he masterminded boxing on the ropes. i'll see if i can dig it out on youtube.

He's talking to David Frost. I've got When We Were KIngs on DVD and it came as a double pack with the The Rumble in The Jungle and The Thriller in Manilla. The interview shown on the Rumble in the Jungle DVD is actually edited. He's just chatting away then he realises it's going out live. In the end in the full interview he starts rambling on a bit but the edited version is class.

yeah, i think i had the same thing on VHS. the thriller in manila is a brutal fight.

Should've been the last fight for both boxers. Brilliant fight but you feel guilty watching it even after all these years. Fighting 15 rounds (well 14 but scheduled for 15) in those conditions was fucking ridiculous. Frazier pretty much died destitute as well. So much about what's good and bad about boxing is encapsulated in that fight.

The Fight was a great 4 part mini series about boxing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429357/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

The final part (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2826880/?ref_=ttep_ep4) The Closest Thing To Dying was about The Thrilla in Manila and refers to a quote Ali made to his corner at the end of one of the later rounds. Ali pretty much collapses to the canvas at the end of the 14th after Frazier's corner called off the fight to protect their man.

apparently ali was ready to cut his gloves off just before frazier's corner threw in the towel but dundee wouldn't let him. said it was the closest he ever came to feeling like dying in the ring.

apparently ali was ready to cut his gloves off just before frazier's corner threw in the towel but dundee wouldn't let him. said it was the closest he ever came to feeling like dying in the ring.

No shit? ;)

Think I'm going to watch When We Were Kings tonight. Tremendous documentary.

I agree, I watched it again on Sunday (thank you bitorrent) it's a fantastic documentary.

@@Jimbo What's been the reaction over there to him relinquishing his WBC mIddleweight belt and moving down to light-middleweight for his next fight? Looks like he's bottled out of fighting GGG

Sorry @@Alex only just saw this, its been ridicule as predicted, its pretty unanimous in the boxing community that he needs to fight close to 160 or go back to 154, people are sick of him fighting at "Caneloweight"

Sorry @@Alex only just saw this, its been ridicule as predicted, its pretty unanimous in the boxing community that he needs to fight close to 160 or go back to 154, people are sick of him fighting at "Caneloweight"

I reckon Golden Boy were shit-scared about the prospect of their 'Golden Boy' getting knocked out. It still would've been Canelo's decision ultimately though.

I reckon Golden Boy were shit-scared about the prospect of their 'Golden Boy' getting knocked out. It still would've been Canelo's decision ultimately though.

Hagler-Canelo-meme.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I see Fury has postponed the Klitschko fight due to an injury (badly sprained ankle). Wouldn't be surprised if it never takes place.

sure it's over a fucking month away.. what a dick

It's only a fortnight away isn't it? I thought it was July 9th. Because Joshua was originally going to fight on the same night (which would've been ridiculous).

aye well couple of weeks but still he's a turned ankle not a broken arm :lol: not like he's a mobile fucker anyway

I think he's pretty mobile for his size like. Definitely one of his key attributes.

Was a little disappointed with Joshua, never got out of 2nd gear against an opponent who was totally out of his depth, never went to the body, very upright and rigid, he reminds me of Bruno a lot, for the wrong reasons, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he pretty much had two back to back fights, I hope he takes a break and comes back against better opposition and then fights Wilder, seems like both want it.

He did what he had to. I would have liked to see him vary it but at the same time he was confident that if he kept on doing what he was doing that he'd get through eventually and he was right. Not exciting but effective.

He's still very inexperienced and also has the disadvantage of not being able to spar against the top heavyweights because his rise has been so mercurial. Agree about the criticisms though.