The Boxing thread

Jimbo

I can believe the mental issues. When you see him interviewed, there's basically two versions of him. There's one where he's basically saying anything to get a rise and then there's a sincere version. Despite not agreeing with a lot of his views the latter is surprisingly likeable. I've seen him say he'll quit boxing before and, to be honest, I think he's sincere when he says stuff like that at the time, and I think he changes his mind when his mood swings. He's also correct in some of his complaints about not getting a fair crack of the whip, the IBF couldn't wait to strip him of his belt for example. Also the press were more bothered about some of the stuff he said in the immediate aftermath of his world title than the fantastic achievement it clearly was. The stuff that's been made of some of the stuff he's said too, like saying Jess Ennis would look good in a dress ffs. Blokes down the pub say stuff 10x more sexist. I don't deny he's his own worst enemy at times but I do think the 'demons' are genuine.

I don't really follow boxing, but is he as good as he thinks he is?

He's a very ordinary heavyweight in a very poor era, he's not great, he's just currently the tallest midget in the circus.

I don't really follow boxing, but is he as good as he thinks he is?

Esssentially he's a dull but very effective boxer. It's this, rather than a lot of the other things, which is the main reason why he's not as loved as someone like Joshua amongst boxing fans. It's far from a foregone conclusion Klitschko would've won a rematch because he's mobile, has surprisingly good hand speed and has an awkward style. He couldn't cope with those things along with Fury's size in the first fight.

fury is nowhere near as good as hethinks he is. he outpointed an ageing klitschko - big deal. he has one of the worst body shapes i've ever seen for a heavyweight champion. 

oh aye they've jumped on him (as they do with anyone that "colourful") for slight mispoken stuff like Ennis scrubbing up well, but likewise stuff that was ignorant and that fact that he is a bamp  was fair game (homophobic remarksm the antisemitic  and the like), that had nothing to do with his mental state other than the fact he's simple and an arsehole... which in fairness does in turn affect my cynicism/lack of sympathy if he has a genuine illness.

Doesn't help his case much in this instance mind that  he had that rant a year or two ago about everyone should be on drugs make it a level playing field.

Oh I agree with all that. He's always suggesting the likes of Joshua are on the roids too so it makes testing positive for cocaine all the more stupid and hypocritical. If I'm being honest I would love to see Joshua knock him out because he's so fucking boring to watch. He makes the latter day Mayweather fights look like Hagler v Hearns.

He's fudging it anyway. It would be different if he'd come out and said how sorry he was but he's far too macho for that. So he's in a weird sort of middle ground where he's asking for sympathy and claiming mental health issues are the reason he took cocaine when he should've been in training for a huge fight. And all without any hint of contrition for what he's done. I have some sympathy for him over his treatment by the press etc. in general but take some responsibility for fuck's sake.

He's fudging it anyway. It would be different if he'd come out and said how sorry he was but he's far too macho for that. So he's in a weird sort of middle ground where he's asking for sympathy and claiming mental health issues are the reason he took cocaine when he should've been in training for a huge fight. And all without any hint of contrition for what he's done. I have some sympathy for him over his treatment by the press etc. in general but take some responsibility for fuck's sake.

Why?

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt Fury has Bipolar btw. More likely that his mood is just all over the shop as he's either pisssed up and miserable or coked up and hyper. You would imagine he hasn't grown up in an environment where he's encouraged to share his emotions and talk things out either so his ability to cope with stress/pressure is non existent