The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Fwiw a lot of people who can afford a private psychiatrist end up with a diagnosis of Bioloar and on mood stabilisers whereas Joe Bloggs would be told by the NHS they've either got a personality disorder or they need to stop the drink/drugs and they will probably feel better

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see the Ward v Kovalev fight? I thought it was absolutely fascinating. I don't buy into the notion it was a travesty either. A lot of the social media comments are, I think, based on Harold Lederman's fucking ridiculous scorecard. It reminded me in some ways of Hagler v Leonard where it depended on who you liked best as to who you thought had won. I thought it was a really close fight and Ward deserves enormous credit for the way he came back from the 2nd round knock down. He really demonstrated he had the heart to match his undoubted talent. The rematch should be tasty too.

didn't see it. i've got an annoying habit of only tuning in to genuinely dull fights. i don't know if that;s just the way boxing is broadly going, or if i've just been unlucky, but i can't remember the last time a bout had me on the edge of my seat.

was ward not lucky with the decision then? 

I thought it was a really close fight. Loads of the rounds were difficult to score but Ward got the upper hand in the second half of the fight. I think Kovalev followed him round too much instead of cutting off the ring and, after that 2nd round knock down, he struggled to land much on Ward.

Good Tyson article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/38050519

Whatever you think of the man (and the boxer in the latter part of his career) he was like a force of nature in the early days.

Canny read that. Did you catch the film that was out a couple of years ago? Thought that was a good watch. No When We Were Kings, obviously ;)

Canny read that. Did you catch the film that was out a couple of years ago? Thought that was a good watch. No When We Were Kings, obviously ;)

The Tyson doc you mean? That was a difficult watch but really good.

• 3 weeks later...

@Bellew :lol:

was an alright fight but jesus they're both pretty awful , Chisora was gassed after his wee flurry in the 5th round

Didn't see it but that's funny after some of the hype I've read about it on twitter. Best heavyweight contest since Ali V Frazie, according to someone in the Beeb's live blog

I thought Chisora v Whyte was a fantastic fight. I don't know how you could ask for much more in a heavyweight contest. It was a clean fight, loads of toe-to-toe action. Heavy blows landed by both and durability shown by both too. It ebbed and flowed throughout, they were well matched and there was a contrast in styles too. I think it's a bit harsh saying they're 'awful' too considering Whyte's the only boxer who has remotely tested Joshua and Chisora has fought at 'elite' level. They're both top 20. Whyte would and should've won more comfortably though if he'd stuck to his boxing instead of trying to trade heavy punches. Wouldn't have been as good a fight like.

Thought Joshua was really impressive too. Obviously it was a very one-sided fight but he looked so controlled and measured. Molina took Wilder to 8 rounds and tagged him a couple of times but he seemed terrified of Joshua.

Agree about Klitschko getting in the ring at the end. What a cheese-fest

was a good fight between two boxers i don't rate in the slightest i guess is how i seen it, not like two guys at the top of their game putting on a show, but aye i know what ya mean, it went how i expected but like you said whyte should've won without as much hassle, Chisora was absolutely punctured from the 5th onwards, better chins on them than i thought as well in fairnes.

Klitschko Joshua is going to be interesting, i know he's getting on a bit but it'll be a proper test of what Joshua has intelligence wise when he can't just go in and land some big shots and he's up against a big guy who has a proper defence.

I know but you knew they weren't elite level fighters anyway. In the context of their respective abilities it was a class fight, I think that's all you can judge it on.

And yeah, Klitschko Joshua is an intriguing one. I guess we'll finally get a proper look at what the latter is really made of.

• 5 weeks later...