The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Mayweather is old and not as strong as McGregor, but he has the skills to keep him at a distance and use his jab to score points. I don't think Mayweather is capable of finishing anyone of note anymore. McGregor is training to last the distance. He will have the stamina. If McGregor can't finish him in the first 4 rounds Mayweather will outlast him and win.

I know nothing about boxing whatsoever, and I've heard enough about this to understand what's going on, despite not having gone looking for it.

On that basis alone, neither of them is going to lose.

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

I understood your reasoning

Yeah, I know.

I don't know what to think about this fight tbh. What does it prove? Does it do anything for boxing which I think as a sport and interest is waning. Certainly won't affect MMA. Conor McGregor is the best boxer in the UFC but if he wins or loses, does it matter?

I will be watching it though. :D

31 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yeah, I know.

I don't know what to think about this fight tbh. What does it prove? Does it do anything for boxing which I think as a sport and interest is waning. Certainly won't affect MMA. Conor McGregor is the best boxer in the UFC but if he wins or loses, does it matter?

I will be watching it though. :D

It's mainly about them two making absolutely shitloads of money I reckon. And making even more money off the back of it. I think it raises the profile of both sports though. I've had people talk to me and ask me about it who have no interest in boxing or combat sports in general. That'll only be in short-term though and may be counter-productive to both once the fight has actually happened. I'll probably watch it but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. Good luck to the pair of them like, don't really have an issue with it because it's clearly a fight that loads of people want to see. Barring something very remarkable it's not even a contest though. I think it'll be a stoppage for Mayweather even if he's at 75% of the level he was even 3 or 4 years ago, never mind his prime. I know his KO record was poor at the end of his career but I think it'll be stopped due to the volume of punches landed at least. Between now and it happening you'll be able to see who is mates with McGregor in the boxing fraternity as they'll be the ones giving him a chance to add to the hype. I think McGregor 'wins' if he doesn't get hammered

they could both make even more money if it went the distance tbf, and agreed a rematch. would that weigh on flloyd? we all know money is his main passion, same goes for connor tbh

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It's mainly about them two making absolutely shitloads of money I reckon. And making even more money off the back of it. I think it raises the profile of both sports though. I've had people talk to me and ask me about it who have no interest in boxing or combat sports in general. That'll only be in short-term though and may be counter-productive to both once the fight has actually happened. I'll probably watch it but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. Good luck to the pair of them like, don't really have an issue with it because it's clearly a fight that loads of people want to see. Barring something very remarkable it's not even a contest though. I think it'll be a stoppage for Mayweather even if he's at 75% of the level he was even 3 or 4 years ago, never mind his prime. I know his KO record was poor at the end of his career but I think it'll be stopped due to the volume of punches landed at least. Between now and it happening you'll be able to see who is mates with McGregor in the boxing fraternity as they'll be the ones giving him a chance to add to the hype. I think McGregor 'wins' if he doesn't get hammered

It's probably in the contract that Mayweather doesn't make him look silly and lets the fight go at least mid distance. :D  Quite honestly I expect nothing less than Connor being made to look a clown - flailing away at an ever receding ghost.

On 22/06/2017 at 1:02 AM, Alex said:

Yeah, no question it is about the money. $100m going into Mayweather's pockets, reportedly, and McGregor not much less than that. McGregor will more than double his worth with this one I reckon.

I think this bout benefits the UFC more though. It is gathering attention from people who believe MMA is a mug's sport. It certainly isn't that as most who detest it don't understand the number of disciplines required to be world class at it, but a few boxing purists here anyway are scathing of it. A decent performance by McGregor would I suppose legitimise the sport of MMA in the detractors' eyes and that is what I think Dana White is looking forward to the most from this, besides the obvious attention and coverage this is getting which enhances the UFC brand.

I'll probably watch this at the pub myself, not sure I can be bothered about the undercard either.

I think Mayweather will just grind him down for a few rounds then it will get stopped. He'll be too quick for McGregor and far too wily around the ring. The lead upto the fight will be more interesting than when they are in the ring. Mayweather is so calm and calculated he wont even give him a chance to fire off a left.

Yeah, he's talked about wanting a stake in the company. Not sure how that would work being a competitor in it. He has pretty much achieved all there is to achieve as well except fighting inside Croke Park for a UFC title. We'll need to see how he goes in this fight and his goals and motivations after it but the UFC have been supportive of him to do this under contractual obligations with them so I'm not sure he'll have that "fck em" approach. More than likely it'll be cross-promotional stuff.

Anyone seen Pacquiao's loss to Jeff Horn? Sounds like a classic hometown decision going off the discrepancies between the pundit's and the judge's scorecards. Either way though I think Pacquiao needs to pack it in.

Certainly a close fight. Could have gone either way I guess. Horn was the aggressive fighter for most of the fight and 'owned' the middle of the ring.

Pac-Man needed to finish him or at least knock him down in the 9th but couldn't do it. Ref said he was going to call it off but didn't and Horn finished stronger in the last 3 rounds.

Great achievement over a legend regardless of who you thought had won. Pac-Man had the greater vocal support. That was quite noticeable.

One of Mcgregors biggest issues is going to be his stance. He's got that weird wide legged, low hands stance which he hasn't changed looking at his recent training videos. 

6D34C2D5-BB14-4AB1-9CF2-CC8C7E02B6D0_zps

Edited by Kid Dynamite

5 hours ago, Ken said:

Certainly a close fight. Could have gone either way I guess. Horn was the aggressive fighter for most of the fight and 'owned' the middle of the ring.

Pac-Man needed to finish him or at least knock him down in the 9th but couldn't do it. Ref said he was going to call it off but didn't and Horn finished stronger in the last 3 rounds.

Great achievement over a legend regardless of who you thought had won. Pac-Man had the greater vocal support. That was quite noticeable.

Read a bit more about it and seen a decent length (about 10 mins) highlights package and after watching it and seeing the comments from some experts etc. I think are trustworthy the consensus seems to be it was a close fight, even if many thought Pacquiao edged it. From what I saw Horn certainly had plenty of success and to come back the way he did after looking finished in the 9th showed he has a lot of guts. You have to be happy for Horn either way as, like you say, it was a fantastic achievement and what a great story.

30 minutes ago, Ant said:

aye same here, even Roach said it was a close fight, looks like Pacquiao landed considerably more how that one judge scored is 117-111 though :lol: 

lost 4 of his last 9, time for Manny to concentrate on the politics and hang up the gloves, clearly he can't do both.

I think because his style has always been about swarming all over his opponents and the quantity of punches thrown then it's inevitable that his ability has been more diminished as time has caught up with him (unlike a 'boxer' where it's perhaps not so much the case). Although you can see why he'd think about fighting again given he got a reported $10m for the fight. At what point does it become a massive threat to your health (especially in later life) though? It's really sad when you see people like Roy Jones and, to a lesser extent, Bernard Hopkins.

Random but If you can find Hunter Thompson's work for Rolling Stone on Ali/Spink online it's well worth a read btw.

Really enjoyed it and it revealed a lot about Ali that I'd previously never noticed.

Its the final few chapters of "The Great Shark Hunt" compilation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ant said:

Aye, like you say hard to pass it up when they're waving that kind of payday in front of you i'm sure, and if that's what is important to him then fair enough, you'd like to think after the kind of career he's had and previous big paydays that he'd be able to turn them down protect his name, but personal choice.

That's why I don't really blame Mayweather avoiding big payday fights against someone like GGG, the man has proven he was a fantastic boxer in his prime, he's earned his money, the legacy/health are higher up his priority list now so he won't risk it vs someone like GGG... but he'll take an easy final pay day against someone like McGregor, he seems to be one of the few boxers who knew it's time to go out on a high. Boxing is one of those sports where so many literally get beaten into a retirement after multiple losses in fights they shouldn't have been near rather than it being their own choice, prob part of the stubborn nature it takes to compete at that level in the sport mind.

Hopkins problem is he always goes the fecking distance, no fucker, even a big hitter like Kovalev were able to knock him out to give him that wake up call that he's ran his course (nevermind his age)

Think the Kovalev fight took a lot out of Hopkins and lead to that humiliation in his last fight (and, thankfully, his subsequent retirement). Hopkins still reckoned it was a push like :lol: He couldn't give Calzaghe any credit either. Anyhow, speaking of GGG, I quite fancy Canelo to beat him. Should be great fight either way.

And, I totally agree re: Mayweather, he's got nowt to prove.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Random but If you can find Hunter Thompson's work for Rolling Stone on Ali/Spink online it's well worth a read btw.

Really enjoyed it and it revealed a lot about Ali that I'd previously never noticed.

Its the final few chapters of "The Great Shark Hunt" compilation.

Nice one. Cheers