The Boxing thread

Jimbo

On 4/6/2018 at 07:17, ewerk said:

If I were to get far fetched I would say that if McGregor were to get in the octagon with Mayweather then the best way to do it would be for him to get out of his UFC contract and they could put the fight on themselves for maximum returns.

:scratchchin: 

2 hours ago, Ant said:

It's fucking mental how it works, ban starts from the date of the first failed test, which was before he fought GGG for the first time :lol: 

the other date they were planning to fight if it wasn't the 5th of May was september , so itcould well still happen then, but it's entirely tainted now, and GGGs record has that blemish on it with the draw as well.

It's not remotely fair that the result of that fight should stand. Should be declared a non contest. I mean I think GGG should've won anyway but failing that.

There's a $50m offer from Deontay Wilder to Anthony Joshua for a fight, date and venue to be decided by Wilder and his camp. Eddie Hearne wants to know where the money is coming from before anybody starts getting excited. It's looking good so far. 

Mobutu Sese Soko is putting the money up. I don't believe for one second Wilder's is a genuine offer (in terms of being able to fund it). That's probably about 3x what he's earned in his career and his fights don't generate anywhere near the ticket or PPV revenue that Joshua's do.

I thought I'd seen that before and it says in the comments that it's a re-edit of a clip he'd previously done. Great analysis. Robinson was amazing like, there were only 8 weight classes in his era and 1 champion in each. He started off as a lightweight (and actually beat the lightweight champion, whose name escapes me, in a bout where the title wasn't up for grabs). He won the welterweight and middleweight titles and held both for long periods in a golden era for the sport and was arguably the best of all time in both categories. He fought for the light-heavyweight title when he was past his best and still went on fighting for over a decade after that at elite level. Never bowed to the Mob either which is an incredible testament to how big a draw he was when you consider how much control they had over boxing in the States at that time. Sad in retrospect when you consider the amount of bouts they fought in those days.

I hope nobody actually paid any money for that fight. Haye was never fit for it. Good performance from Bellew though tbf.

Edited by ewerk

12 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

David Haye has balls... Bellew just on a different level right now, props to both competitor's. 

Bellew vs Povetkin next please.

Different level :lol: don't buy the sky sports hype. He's average as fuck and has beat declining fighter a couple of times. Tonight was about Haye being shit and that's it

I see there was another knockout for GGG at the weekend as he equalled Bernard Hopkins' record of 20 successful world title defences at middleweight