The Boxing thread

Jimbo

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

I see there was another knockout for GGG at the weekend as he equalled Bernard Hopkins' record of 20 successful world title defences at middleweight

I tried to stay up for it and woke up just as it was finished. He was typically devastating. Shame about the level of opponent but that's not his fault. My favourite boxer. Love to see him vs bjs but doubt it'll ever happen. Would love a Brook rematch too, now that he's got titanium eye sockets :ph34r:

Edited by TheGingerQuiff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Anyone else stopped up for Lomachenko Linares? 

Sounds like it was a good fight

13 hours ago, Alex said:

Sounds like it was a good fight

It was aye, don't remember a lot of it like I was more pissed than I thought :lol: Loma walked right into one right on the kisser and recovered from it, his movement is ridiculously good though. First time I've really watched him properly. 

11 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

It was aye, don't remember a lot of it like I was more pissed than I thought :lol: Loma walked right into one right on the kisser and recovered from it, his movement is ridiculously good though. First time I've really watched him properly. 

Aye. Watched the whole fight yesterday. His footwork is unbelievable as you say. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at Tyson Fury's upcoming opponent - Sefer Seferi (no? me neither). He's the number 2 ranked cruiserweight in Albania (out of 2) and number 64 in the world in that division (according to BoxRec). And the one time he's fought anyone of note he lost a unanimous points decision. Sounds like it's going to be a cracking contest

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Had a look at Tyson Fury's upcoming opponent - Sefer Seferi (no? me neither). He's the number 2 ranked cruiserweight in Albania (out of 2) and number 64 in the world in that division (according to BoxRec). And the one time he's fought anyone of note he lost a unanimous points decision. Sounds like it's going to be a cracking contest

And when Fury beats him he will tell everyone it proves how great he is.

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

And when Fury beats him he will tell everyone it proves how great he is.

:lol: Forgot to mention his opponent is nearly 40 too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Ant said:

didn't even know he had a fight, just watched the highlights, looked like he was behind as well on points, but after the first knockdown he sprung back up and clearly hadn't recovered, didn't clinch and tried to punch his way back in, a silly mistake for someone with his experience 

Against Ward second time round (whether you think it was a legitimate stoppage or not) he could've taken a knee rather than when he ended up sat on the ropes and left himself in what was basically a defenseless position. This was a similar sort of thing in terms of how you would expect someone with the amount of elite-level fights he'd had to have a bit more know-how regarding surviving.

I didn't actually know he was fighting either but I watched a re-run of the whole fight that had been posted via Facebook. The first two rounds were quite close with Kovalev probably edging them. He had Alvarez in bother in the 4th and it looked like he might win with a stoppage. After that though he looked a bit gassed and he was probably just ahead on points but Alvarez looked to be coming on strong. Also, like you say he looked like never saw the first knockdown coming and almost panicked and jumped up before he'd cleared his head at all, making the stoppage almost inevitable at that point. I wonder if he'll keep fighting. I think he'll have made good money in his career but not the megabucks he probably should've done. Even the two Ward 'Superfights' didn't do very well in terms of PPV figures. I think probably a combination of his age, the defeats to Ward and his alleged 'lifestyle' choices mean he's now a spent force. I also think that he'd been so dominant prior to taking on Ward that he'd never really had the experience of needing to go into survival mode which perhaps explains why he's looked a bit clueless the couple of times he's needed to do that. I think he's lacked a bit of class at times with comments made, not least regarding Ward, but he's been a great champion and you get the feeling it's going to be a bit of a sad end to his career now however it pans out. You'd have to wonder if he's still got the hunger for it too.

Edited by Alex

• 1 month later...