The Boxing thread

Jimbo

9 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Fury is a misogynist, homophobic anti semite. Wilder just seems an arse tbh.

He seems to have grown up a bit since coming out with that stuff. It’s nigh on impossible to grow up with a Dad like he’s got and not turn out a bit of a prat.

I’ve enjoyed the documentary that’s been on about him the last couple of weeks. He’s clearly got some demons that crop up occasionally but he loves his wife and kids, lives in Morecambe and spends his week having a laugh with the workers at the local tip :lol:

• Like 1

The extra weight obviously helped Fury. It was strange to hear Wilder saying beforehand that his weight gain wasn’t planned and he wasn’t bothered about it. You’d think at that level that weight would be closely controlled.

Always had a suspicion Wilder hadn’t really been tested. At least until the last Fury fight, which Fury was still a bit ring rusty for but won anyway in all but name. He didn’t have the ability to box going backwards and the ease with which Fury wrestled him about the ring and took the centre of it was apparent almost from the off. His lack of relative lack of boxing skills were horribly exposed. He should no complaints about the stoppage either. It might have saved his career

It turns out his corner threw the towel in. It was for the best, he was about to get knocked out.

I don’t think Wilder is much of a boxer, he’s just got that lethal right hand and he’s been up against bums most of his career which suits the American audience.

A good fight for them is a knock out regardless of the quality or craft on display.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He seems to have grown up a bit since coming out with that stuff. It’s nigh on impossible to grow up with a Dad like he’s got and not turn out a bit of a prat.

I’ve enjoyed the documentary that’s been on about him the last couple of weeks. He’s clearly got some demons that crop up occasionally but he loves his wife and kids, lives in Morecambe and spends his week having a laugh with the workers at the local tip :lol:

Agree with all this, he seems very grounded. I always enjoy listening to him, particularly when talking about his depression. He seems to be a genuinely intelligent bloke.

I haven’t seen the documentary so will give it a watch.

Money aside, not sure there is much point in a rematch with Wilder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Agree with all this, he seems very grounded. I always enjoy listening to him, particularly when talking about his depression. He seems to be a genuinely intelligent bloke.

I haven’t seen the documentary so will give it a watch.

Money aside, not sure there is much point in a rematch with Wilder.

I believe him when he talks about how he said a lot of the things he did to play the villain. His victory against Klitschko was a fantastic achievement and it was largely met with the press falling over themselves to do a character assassination and to downplay what he’d done. I used to watch some of the interviews on YouTube he did with Kugan Cassius. This was before he’d ever won the world title and he always cane across as a genuine lad. Delighted for him, he deserves massive credit. 

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

It turns out his corner threw the towel in. It was for the best, he was about to get knocked out.

I don’t think Wilder is much of a boxer, he’s just got that lethal right hand and he’s been up against bums most of his career which suits the American audience.

A good fight for them is a knock out regardless of the quality or craft on display.

They did throw the towel in but that’s what I meant. He was taking a beating with virtually no chance of turning it around 

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

I believe him when he talks about how he said a lot of the things he did to play the villain. His victory against Klitschko was a fantastic achievement and it was largely met with the press falling over themselves to do a character assassination and to downplay what he’d done. I used to watch some of the interviews on YouTube he did with Kugan Cassius. This was before he’d ever won the world title and he always cane across as a genuine lad. Delighted for him, he deserves massive credit. 

He’s spot on here.

I appreciate liberal viewpoints around sexuality or gender equality probably aren’t widespread in traveller communities, but given Fury’s likely been called a gypo cunt more times than he can remember I’d imagine he’s got some empathy around racism.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

They did throw the towel in but that’s what I meant. He was taking a beating with virtually no chance of turning it around 

Oh yeh. He didn’t have a chance in hell.

The rematch doesn’t make any boxing sense for Wilder given how badly he was exposed. He’d get a nice pay day from it but he’d be better going for someone like Ruiz or Kownacki  next and hoping to rebuild his career.