The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Hayemaker to take on the beast from the east

Interesting fight in store here. Danny Haye is quite explosive and quick whilst Valuev is just so fucking huge. In my opinion, I think Danny can tonk him on points if he gets up close as Valuev seems like some big ugly slow fighter who couldn't handle a fierce barrage from a fighter with speed and power.

If Haye has got any sense he'll box Valuev and use his speed, if he tries to out-macho Valuev he'll come unstuck, Haye also has to hope the fight is not in Germany, he'll never get the rub of the green if it is, as Holyfield found out, he boxed Valuev's ears off for 12 rounds and Valuev was gifted the decision.

• 1 month later...

An utter travesty tonight, John McDermott out boxed Tyson Fury for 10 rounds and the ref gifts Fury the decision, I'm fucking fuming, ref's should NEVER judge fights, they've enough to focus on without scoring bouts too, this was as bad as anything I've seen, it was up there with Lewis Vs Holyfield or any of the shite you sometimes see in Italy or Germany, utter utter horse shit, no wonder boxing is on the bones of it's arse.

An utter travesty tonight, John McDermott out boxed Tyson Fury for 10 rounds and the ref gifts Fury the decision, I'm fucking fuming, ref's should NEVER judge fights, they've enough to focus on without scoring bouts too, this was as bad as anything I've seen, it was up there with Lewis Vs Holyfield or any of the shite you sometimes see in Italy or Germany, utter utter horse shit, no wonder boxing is on the bones of it's arse.

Yep, the kind of decision that is killing boxing as a sport. I know its subjective but the only bloke in that building who thought Fury had won was the ref. Should be judges for this type of fight (and 12 rounds).

It also showed Fury up for what I thought he was - an arm puncher who has good speed but will never cut it above national standard.

Agreed, he was trapping on about being world class before the fight, yeah right, he looked like a novice club fighter after 3 rounds.

Still shocked at the decision.

The British Boxing Board of Control is to hold a hearing into the English heavyweight title bout between Tyson Fury and John McDermott on Friday.

Manchester's Fury was awarded the fight 98-92 by referee Terry O'Connor, despite most observers feeling McDermott had done enough for victory.

"The main parties will be called on 23 September," said McDermott's promoter Frank Maloney.

"I will be asking for the result to be overturned or ruled a no-contest."

After the 10-round bout in Brentwood, Essex, 21-year-old Fury insisted he had done enough to take the belt, adding: "I thought I worked the harder throughout the fight and I deserved to win. If he wants a re-match, let's get it on. I will stop him next time."

But Maloney was furious, calling O'Connor a "disgrace to British boxing".

And Maloney added in a statement: "I have been told [by the BBBofC] my comments... have been noted, but I stand by everything I said.

"I will be well prepared for the hearing and fighting for the future of boxing's image, which has been dented by this debacle.

"All I want is justice for John and I will go all the way to a court of law to get it if needed.

"[O'Connor] has made a terrible mistake that has left a young man wondering if it's worth boxing professionally."

Essex fighter McDermott, 29, was also on the end of a controversial points defeat when he fought British heavyweight champion Danny Williams last July.

SKY Sports 1 tonight, live 2am.

Boxing: Mayweather sees Marquez as way back into big time

By Steve Bunce

It was inevitable that Floyd Mayweather would end his self-imposed exile from the boxing ring and equally predictable that he would control every aspect of his return to a sport that has missed him.

Mayweather walked away after beating Ricky Hatton in December 2007, but he has been training in secrecy for over 12 months for tonight's return against the carefully selected Juan Manuel Marquez. The fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas has been greeted with relative calm by the punters, but Mayweather's record at the box office and on pay-per-view TV is golden.

Tonight is all about Mayweather putting himself back in the shop window and letting people know that he is available at the right price for a fight against either Miguel Cotto or Manny Pacquiao, the sport's premier attractions, who just happen to be fighting each other in November. Poor old Marquez, who is surely one of the top five Mexicans of all time, is just there to get punched and paid a career-high purse.

"I have missed boxing and who wouldn't miss a sport where you can make $200m or $300m?" asked Mayweather. "I'm 'Money' Mayweather and that is what I do – and now I'm back." In May 2007 Mayweather beat Oscar De La Hoya and set a series of financial records, beating Mike Tyson at the box office, and even his fight with Hatton generated vulgar sums of cash and left Hatton richer by an estimated £17m.

Marquez has held world titles at three different weights, is still relatively fresh at 36 and has never been stopped in 55 fights. However, he is shorter, has a six-inch reach disadvantage and more alarmingly will be boxing at a weight that is 10 pounds heavier than he has ever been. Mayweather has selected wisely.

"I see a chess match early," said Mayweather. "I expect Marquez to make the same mistake Hatton made and fight too hard from the start. People forget how hard I can punch and only realise when it's too late. That is what happened to Hatton."

Mayweather is unbeaten in 39 fights and has operated close to the fight's chosen poundage of 144 pounds for six years, which will give him a massive advantage over Marquez. It should, however, be pointed out that Pacquiao gained 10 pounds and ruined De La Hoya last year. "That's right," Mayweather said. "But, I'm not Oscar and everybody needs to remember that. I'm not coming out of retirement, I'm just getting back after a break – I've lost nothing since beating Hatton."

A stoppage by Mayweather tonight would be a tremendous achievement, but Marquez will have to fight a dumb fight to help make that happen. The sensible pick is Mayweather on points.

Great display from Mayweather, he toyed with Marquez at will, but left me frustrated that he boxed within himself, his dominance was effortless, a truely great fighter would have finished Marquez.

I admire Mayweather but I'm longing for someone to lay him out, hopefully Mosely will get the chance.