The Boxing thread

Jimbo

i say let them all take performsance enhancing drugs. at least then it would be a level playing field and the best fighters would still win

Agreed, after all every sportsman is taking supplements etc, just because certain supplements are on the good list and others are on the naughty list, who gives a fuck, unless everyone on is on just rice and water in preparation for sporting events whats the point as long as fighters don't have concrete gloves and sprinters don't have rocket packs, I really couldn't give a shit.

I listen to the Joe Rogan podcast and he was telling of a current UFC fighter who is on "the juice" and he goes as far as to inject clean piss into his bladder prior to drug tests.

J20 is anti-drugs btw. Just thought I'd point that out.

Not sure why me being anti drugs (although I know how much that annoys you) has any bearing on the fact that a lot of people in boxing are convinced Pacquiao is on steroids?

Someone else cracked the J2O joke a couple of days ago btw. Was funnier the first time :(

J20 is anti-drugs btw. Just thought I'd point that out.

Not sure why me being anti drugs (although I know how much that annoys you) has any bearing on the fact that a lot of people in boxing are convinced Pacquiao is on steroids?

Someone else cracked the J2O joke a couple of days ago btw. Was funnier the first time :(

I cracked it about 4 weeks ago. It obviously struck a chord on here :razz:

Dunno, but I hope he gets beat. There's no way fights like this should be PPV.

He really needs to stop his family/Khan Promotions organising his TV deals. There was a similar fuck on with the Malignaggi bout and luckily they crumbled and allowed it to be shown on ITV4 at very short notice.

Boxing is such a fucking joke these days. Pay per view used to mean a big event fight, but these days if any two half decent fighters get in the ring together they want 15 quid off people to watch it.

I've started watching UFC recently, and find it much more interesting than boxing.

Boxing is such a fucking joke these days. Pay per view used to mean a big event fight, but these days if any two half decent fighters get in the ring together they want 15 quid off people to watch it.

I've started watching UFC recently, and find it much more interesting than boxing.

I've tried UFC and I just don't enjoy it as much as I do boxing. So many bouts end up being three five minute tussles on the mat which doesn't hold my attention.

I can only vaguely remember the halcyon days of PPVs, where you'd have to pay for the privilege of the odd Tyson/Holyfeild/Lewis fight on at 3am but everything else was on either the BBC, ITV or Sky Sports, so I don't really miss it. It seems bizarre to me that you'd get fights like Eubank vs Watson on terrestrial TV a Saturday evening only a decade or so ago.

Still you can't blame Sky for taking advantage of the fact there's nowhere else for you to watch live boxing and hoying stuff on PPV. The BBC were scared off after wasting millions on Harrison, ITV can't get the advertisers in, Setanta is no more and Primetime is watched by about three people. Shame really as it's been to the detriment of British boxing as a whole, the fact Carl Froch's last fight was on Primetime is scandalous.

Aye admittedly some of the UFC stuff can be boring if they're just holding one another etc, but boxing's the same at times too. It gets more than its fair share of mental fights though.

I don't really agree that you can't blame Sky for making every other fight a PPV event. Boxing must have lost a load of fans because of it, and I know Sky are in it to make money, but I think they have at least some responsiblity to make things fairly available to their customers. They don't have to try and wring every penny out of every fight to the detriment of both fans and the sport. I just don't bother watching boxing anymore cos only the absolute dregs is free-to-air.

UFC should have a bit more variety now that they have WEC fully intergrated. WEC PPV's were very rarely boring. You'd have two small blokes beat the living shite out of each other. You still get "lay and pray" -ers. But they are more willing to cut them.

MMA is a more exciting sport but the UFC is a lesson in how not to run a company.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/149978-...ng-with-the-ufc

- Dana White is an egomaniac who regularly calls his detractors fucking cunts in the press

- They turn over millions from each show and all but the top 1 or 2 fighters on a card get paid peanuts

- They steam roller rival companies seeing them as threats rather than good for the sport like they are

- They dodge fights to protect their own investments. Fedor 2 years ago would have murdered any heavyweight in the world and he was swerved time and time again by the UFC

- Any journalist who has said something remotely negative about the UFC currently has a lifetime ban from any events

In defence of the Fedor descision. There was no "swerving" it was simply that M-1 Global, not necessarily Fedor himself, made ridiculous demands. They only wanted one fight against UFC's champ (first Randy Couture and then Lesnar), it would have been mental to do that. Some guy wanders into your promotion possibly beats your champ and then wanders out again to some other company. It's piss poor business. You pop one big PPV rating but risk the credibilty of your company. They also wanted to pepper the card with their own fighters. Again in one shots. Global were trying to protect their own investment, or cash cow, in Fedor. Look where he is now. They have to take a lot of the blame for their piss poor desicion making.

I have no issue with the comments on White, he's a PR nightmare. He has been hauled over the coals at least once by huge sponsor after he called someone a "faggot". UFC were in serious danger of losing the sponsor. I think it was supposed to be Harley Davidson.

I disagree with the articles comments on both Goldberg and Rogan. I think Rogan is heavily biased towards his friends and favourites, if they criticise White (quite rightly) then they need to pull Rogan on his comments too, he was busted for saying the same thing as White yet no one made a fuss over it. Goldberg is more than competant. I'd agree, however, that they over saturate the shows with him. They need a "third voice" to voice over video packages. They do need better presentation, they need to mic the crowds better too.

I'm not sure they really did steam roller any companies. Affliction was doomed from day one. Strikeforce was on a hiding to nothing. They would fuck up their chances when they got network tv by going long. So no one would touch them. They never promoted events either. UFC could have left them well alone, easily. They would never have been a challenge in the near future. I think the only cunty thing the UFC did was allow Spike to air re-runs of PPV's from previous months at the same time. Even then it wasn't at the same time as Strikeforce network shows, just the PPV's.

The pay thing is a MMA wide problem. Nick Diaz is about to quit to do triathlons, of all things, because he wasn't getting enough money. And that pre-dates the Strikforce acquisition.

Here's the writeup from the Beeb on Khan's PPV event.

"It was a disappointing encounter, that had no meaningful action, which justified the lack of pre-fight interest from broadcasters, with Khan made to miss far too often as the 24-year-old looked one-dimensional in his approach to defeating 31-year-old McCloskey."

£15? What an absolute joke. You'd want a Hearns vs Hagler for that money.

Barry-Hearn-007.jpg

I didn't see it live, but that definitely doesn't look like a stoppage cut.

Seen much worse, I didn't see the fight either but I guess the main thing with any cut is is the flow of blood effecting his sight, no boxer is ever in danger from loss of blood etc, the key is the reduced vision, even if it is a relatively small cut I guess that could provoke a stoppage, but point taken, it looks fairly tame.