The Boxing thread

Jimbo

'Absolute classic'? :spit: It's not going to be a Ali vs Frazier mate, it's fucking Haye and Klitchko. It's funny how Haye keeps going on about Wladimir's fights being dull, the Harrison fight was one of the most abject sporting (and I use that word lightly) events I've ever witnessed. Thankfully I wasn't dumb enough to pay to watch it.

Care to run through a list of his stellar opponents J69? Oh that's right, there aren't any. I'll see you outside in the main forums. :spit:

The question should be how the fuck can you say a guy who fought Audley Harrison and Valuev in two of the dullest fights in recent memory--the Harrison fight didn't even border on a farce, it was an absolute embarrassment and the pair of them should be ashamed--isn't a boring fighter? He would not have been considered a good boxer in any era that had a mildly competitive heavyweight division; the fact that he is a big draw reflects the state of the sport (at a very low ebb) and the fact that British fans will buy into him and give him a level of attention and support a boxer of his calibre isn't worthy of. I have to admire his skills of self-promotion though, he is an entertaining presence outside of the ring, just a shame he can't match that level of entertainment during actual fights.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

It is a particularly poor era for heavyweights though. Not Haye's fault like but America just isn't producing good heavyweight fighters any more. Probably a society thing.

It is a particularly poor era for heavyweights though. Not Haye's fault like but America just isn't producing good heavyweight fighters any more. Probably a society thing.

Maybe a lot of them are moving into different sports, MMA/kick-boxing etc?

When has there ever been a huge number of great fighters in the heavyweight division? He has beaten everyone put in front of him. Hardly his fault he wasn't born 40 years earlier :icon_lol:

There's never been a 'huge number of great fighters' in any division at one time. You're being dumb again. I thought you were smarter than this.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I hate to say this but I really like Klitschko..he's really good craic, especially loving his spot on Borat impression and his 'shake my hand' antics. As much as I'm always gunning for the Brit and don't mind Haye, I really wouldn't be that arsed if Klitschko did him.

Hope haye gets the fuck knocked out of him tbh

Same.

Any particular reason? We have a Brit who has the chance of being the best at the world at something and we hope he gets beat :lol: He uses the hype machine to sell fights. Ali made Haye look shy and retiring and people are still up his arse 40 years later.

Same.

Any particular reason? We have a Brit who has the chance of being the best at the world at something and we hope he gets beat :lol: He uses the hype machine to sell fights. Ali made Haye look shy and retiring and people are still up his arse 40 years later.

you should really wash your mouth out with soap......comparing Ali and Haye ffs.

Either J69 is on the windup, or he's thick. The Ali comparison :lol: Fucking hell. J69 you're an absolute plum.

As for 'being the best in the world at something', at the moment it'd be like winning 'the tallest dwarf competition'; personally I don't wish any harm to Haye, but I expect the fight to be dull given the quality of the two boxers. They'll be fighting for the WBA, WBO, IBF, IBO and The Ring heavyweight titles, and that still isn't all the major titles in the heavyweight division. All those titles and not one great champion, it just shows how much the sport has declined, particularly that division. The 2nd biggest fight that can be made after Money vs Pacman atm, and neither boxer is even approaching a world-class standard compared to the champions of the past.

When I see the numbskulls who think the likes of Haye and Hatton are 'great boxers', it calls to mind the louts who were saying the same of Alan Minter when he got the shite beaten out of him by Hagler and started a riot. Absolute mongs.

Same.

Ali wasn't average, it's grand to blow you're own trumpet like your one of the greatest to ever grace boxing when you actually are.

Ali lost 5 and had to go the distance in 19. Haye has lost 1 and gone the distance 3 times. Did any of you watch Ali in his prime or have you just seen reruns of his 2-3 best fights through his entire careeer?

Edited by J69

I'm not claiming Haye is better than Ali by the way. Just pointing out the silliness in the argument that Haye is overrated/boring/should lose etc.

You're really not. Haye is overrated by British boxing fans, just as Hatton was and several others have been. Haye is boring: the fights against Valuev and Harrison rank amongst the worst I've personally seen and were given tremendous hype because Haye is overrated.

The only thing you're succeeding in doing is making yourself look like a clueless idiot who doesn't know when he's wrong.

He beat Harrison with the first flurry of punches he threw man, Harrison only landed 2 or 3 punches in the entire fight. Haye also took Valuevs belt off him after the guy had lost 1 decision in 51 fights. Again, you are calling Haye boring for executing a gameplan against Valuev and pulling it off flawlessly :lol:

Again, did you see Ali fight? He lost in the 15th round to Frazer. In the rematch Ali ran away from him for 7 rounds (Haye/Valuev anyone???). It took him another 15 rounds to beat Wepner and 14 to beat Frazer again.

If finishing fights makes you exciting then Ali was far from it. 13 of his last 20 title fights went to a decision