The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Hope he doesn't do anything stupid now.

Being beaten by Mayweather and Pacquiao is no disgrace and he struggled with that. They were world class, this guy tonight is anything but.

I do hope he has a good team around him, even after they realise they aren't going to make any more money off him. He'll be remembered as a fantastic British fighter but he'll never be remembered as an all time great. Hopefully he'll be able to accept that at some point.

Edited by ewerk

I fear it's going to take some careful nurturing getting him to accept it's over . The sad thing is seeing himself as such a failure and he doesn't seem to see beyond that as an overwhelming negative . I wish him all the best, I really do .

i echo that. i watched the fight on pay per view. he started well but looked old and tired and was hanging on in there from about round 5. timing was way off. he really ought to knock it on the head but it's so hard for fighters to accept it's all over.

watching his post fight interview was heart breaking. hopefully he'll reflect on the fact he's had a world class career and can still sell out a 20k capacity venue in 6 hours. he's got a media personality career waiting for him if he wants it. i do fear for for him though. likely to balloon in size and be back on the luca before long.

i echo that. i watched the fight on pay per view. he started well but looked old and tired and was hanging on in there from about round 5. timing was way off. he really ought to knock it on the head but it's so hard for fighters to accept it's all over.

watching his post fight interview was heart breaking. hopefully he'll reflect on the fact he's had a world class career and can still sell out a 20k capacity venue in 6 hours. he's got a media personality career waiting for him if he wants it. i do fear for for him though. likely to balloon in size and be back on the luca before long.

Yup.

I get the feeling he'd happily give up his millions immediately just to be able to rewind time back to a decade ago. Some fighters - and footballers, and all professional sports men and women really - give it up when their hearts are not in it any more but it's clear that how much passion Hatton still has for boxing and he couldn't let it go. He must have been an emotional wreck just to want the fight in the first place.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Don't forget this interview he had the other day:

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/20876/8273378/Ricky-Hatton-will-quit-boxing-for-good-if-he-loses-against-Vyacheslav-Senchenko

"I'll quit if I lose. I've suffered depression and it is something I will have until the day I die," he told The Sun.

"But Ricky Hatton now, I feel so much more relaxed - comfortable with myself.

"There's a spring in my step, I'm happy at home. You could say that I feel as if I have won already no matter what happens in the fight.

"Of course I don't want to lose to Senchenko, I want to win another world title.

"But if the worse happens, so be it. I know I can get up on Sunday morning and look at myself in the mirror and say 'It didn't come off, you haven't got it anymore, so go and be the best promoter and trainer you can be'.

"I think I can do that, but three years ago? No chance. Ricky Hatton today? Yes."

Of course, if I was a cynic I would say he always knew he was finished but also knew he had box office draw and saw this as a great attempt at one off bumper pay day to raise some quick capital. If I was a cynic like...

surely he's got more than enough to live off for the rest of his life? he made millions from the mayweather and pacman fights.

though with a coke habit, who knows?

i honestly think he returned to boxing to see if he could rekindle old performances. the money wouldn't hurt of course, but he didn't want to be remembered for being knocked out in two rounds in his last fight. sadly, his comeback ended like so many others - on the canvas yet again.

you could see from his post match interview how much it meant to him. i just hope he can reflect on a wonderful career and enjoy his retirement from the ring - and a future career in the media, if he wants it - instead of sinking back into drugs, booze, junk food and depression.

Anyone been watching the Flintoff thing on Sky? The scrap's coming on shortly if you're interested anyway. Streams available.

Is it possible in this day and age to stream from the WWW to an iPhone?

For those with Sky I've read it's free on channel 930 ???

Is it possible in this day and age to stream from the WWW to an iPhone?

For those with Sky I've read it's free on channel 930 ???

Nop.

Can on Android though.

Tyson Fury on tonight, channel 5 from 9. Definitely splits opinion but an interesting character and fighter imo.

Eubank Jr too who is a good little fighter if not a little too arrogant/moody.

Edited by Gejon

Think he won 2 fights before Freddie, they normally match opponents at that level pretty well. Flintoff was always going to be paired up with someone he was likely to beat, the back story was quite clever though and something I fell for.