The Boxing thread

Jimbo

I'm sick of fucking hearing that Chris Eubank saved some kids life in selflessly asking his son to stop punching him in the head

What he clearly meant was, this kids got a chin like granite so if you want to win the fight target the body

I'm sick of fucking hearing that Chris Eubank saved some kids life in selflessly asking his son to stop punching him in the head

What he clearly meant was, this kids got a chin like granite so if you want to win the fight target the body

Aye. Without a doubt. I can't remember exactly how he phrased it but it was clear during rounds that that was what he meant. To get a stoppage anyway. Eubank was clearly going to win the fight either way.

He (Eubank Snr) did mention it should've been stopped when talking between rounds I think, but I think it was a tough one for the ref because the cuts looked terrible but weren't bleeding into the eyes. It was only when the eye closed it was stopped (correctly). Obviously with hindsight you can argue it should've been stopped but it was a title fight and the lad was never out on his feet or anything. Such a tough kid because he took some great shots.

Irrespective of all that Eubank Snr needs to take a back seat and remember it's not his career any more. This is, imo, another example of how he can't help but try and steal the limelight.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for Joshua to demonstrate if he can live up to the hype. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Alex

aye the last question was especially dickish

there was no point in asking it. neither of them were ever going to answer it in the way he wanted them to.

channel 4 reporters seems to have a developed a bit of a habit of trying to be seen as serious high brow journalists, by continuing to ask deliberately provocative questions int heir 1+1s - krishnan guru murthy is exactly the same. what they don't realise is you can conduct a perfectly serious interview without acting like a cunt.

Time for Joshua to demonstrate if he can live up to the hype. Looking forward to it.

yeah, i'm actually out saturday night, disappointed to be missing it. though most of the fights i've purchased on ppv recently have been pretty poor.

bold fight for joshua to take on though, this guy he's fighting is no mug. bit of a risk stepping up to a bout like this at this stage of his career, especially after his last victory, which was pretty laboured.

yeah, i'm actually out saturday night, disappointed to be missing it. though most of the fights i've purchased on ppv recently have been pretty poor.

bold fight for joshua to take on though, this guy he's fighting is no mug. bit of a risk stepping up to a bout like this at this stage of his career, especially after his last victory, which was pretty laboured.

Who've you seen Martin fight? I've seen none of his fights and know virtually nothing about him other than stuff I've read in the wake of his winning the vacant IBF title. I know he's unbeaten and he's a southpaw but that's about it. What's his style like? People talk about Joshua being unproven and it being a risk etc. but, going by his record, Martin is unproven at the top leve too as he's never really fought anyone elite either.

£17? That's taking the piss a bit. Not that there's many other fights out there that would tempt me to pay for them.

It's canny steep like but it's an exciting British fighter going for the a World Heavyweight crown so it's a huge fight in UK terms.

Who've you seen Martin fight? I've seen none of his fights and know virtually nothing about him other than stuff I've read in the wake of his winning the vacant IBF title. I know he's unbeaten and he's a southpaw but that's about it. What's his style like? People talk about Joshua being unproven and it being a risk etc. but, going by his record, Martin is unproven at the top leve too as he's never really fought anyone elite either.

i'm only going off what i've read as well. they're at similar stages of their career but even then, he looks like being a big jump up in class compared to anyone joshua has fought to date. he's 20 odd fights unbeaten to joshua's 14 or 15.

fair play to joshua's camp for going for it - they must be confident in him as this is a fight that could have easily come a little later after an unconvincing victory last time around. maybe they're right to have fast tracked him to a title bout - the bookies clearly fancy him on home turf.

edit - just checked out his fight history. only 2 of his 24 fights have gone the distance so sounds like he's a heavy hitter, or he's been fighting a succession of glass-jawed jokers

Edited by Dr Gloom

It is exciting to have a British heavyweight who actually looks the part. The division has seen too many champions in recent times who don't even look that athletic. But of a joke really. Tyson Fury's jibes were striking

I think it was a no-brainer from the pov of Joshua's management team. At some stage in his career he has to take risks and although he hasn't fought anyone elite, he's got a crack at the IBF belt against a bloke who hasn't fought anyone elite either and is also completely unproven. It's a chance in a lifetime fighting someone like that for a proper Heavyweight world title and he needed to start fighting top 10 opponents anyway soon. He's about the level of fighter they would've been looking at anyway in the next fight or two if they were serious about fighting next year against whoever wins the Fury/Klitschko rematch. It just so happens this opponent is a world champion by a quirk of fate (there's no way he would've been if Fury hadn't won then vacated the IBF belt).

Joshua is certainly exciting, Martin is bit of an unknown quantity, but he's southpaw so he might pull off a few surprises, thankfully due to the lack of quality in the division it's not like he's facing a massive leap in class, a fight with Fury is a natural, I'll be interested to see what Fury looks like in his rematch with Klitschko, i could totally believe it if he came in massively overweight and get beaten by a motivated Klitschko.

Aye. Irrespective of how Martin got to be a world champion, how many heavyweight world title fights have been that decisive? Taking the piss

Looks like we will see Joshua next on the July 9th Fury V Klitschko rematch card, maybe to fight the winner or fight Haye, probably at Wembley in the autumn, suddenly the heavyweight division is alive again, which can only be good for boxing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the quotes from that press conference :lol: slating klitchko for losing to a fat gypsy, admits he doesn't train hard and would rather be eating pies and sweets.

Says it all about the lack of quality in the division that a freak like him is heavyweight champion of the world. He's no athlete.

he's an absolute embarrassment to the sport in my opinion, I can't wait to see him get knocked the fuck out as soon as possible, sadly I think Klitschko is too far over the hill to do that, but maybe Deontay Wilder or AJ might take care of that.