The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Ward's a very clever fighter but it's hard to assess exactly where he's at now because of that lack of activity. Also, I know he's about 100 now but I've never seen Bernard Hopkins dominated in the way he was against Kovalev.

People will always talk about these hypothetical fights though but you can only be the best of your era and I can't see anyone beating GGG any time soon. Certainly not at middleweight. Him v Hopkins at middleweight would've been a good fight though, aye.

Saw an interview with Joe Frazier once, he said Ali wasn't the greatest heavyweight champion in history, but he was the greatest "man"* to have held the title, which is some compliment seeing as Ali was unremittingly cruel and abusive towards Frazier throughout their careers.

The whole "I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong, no Vietcong ever called me nigger" is just about the most inspiring story in the history of professional sport for me, to put his career and livelihood on line for a principle such as that, to stand up to the US government and win, then go on to win his belt back v Foreman in Zaire was just astounding.

An absolute immortal, there will definetly be no one else like him :(

*Frazier said for him it was Joe Louis, but Ali is at least in the top 3 iyam

Icon!

Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No Im not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldnt have to draft me, Id join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So Ill go to jail, so what? Weve been in jail for 400 years."

The sun are a pack of wankers

They had an article where they interviewed Joe Bugner and described him as Ali's greatest rival. They really know their shit.

so many brilliant quotes from the great man, but this one is my personal favourite:

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark."

Its a testament to the man and his achievements that he managed to become without any question, the most famous man on the planet bar none, in an era without mass social media networks, I can't even begin to imagine how big he would have been today at his physical and mental peak.

A true hero.

Did anyone catch the documentary on Ali on BBC1 on Saturday? There's a bit about 59 mins in when he's in a horse-drawn carriage with his wife outside the Border Minstrel in Gosforth Park. Must've been filmed during his visit in 1977.

yeah, when we were kings is class. i had the rumble in the jungle full fights on VHS as well - there's a class moment after the fight when he's meant to be giving the interview and he basically tells the interviewer to be quiet - and the whole room basically shuts up straight away - while he addresses the camera and tells the world how he masterminded boxing on the ropes. i'll see if i can dig it out on youtube.