The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Full Joshua Klitschko fight with English / SKY commentary if anyone fancies seeing it again. It'll be taken down soon I would imagine.

GGG vs Canelo confirmed for this september

happy days!

Should be a good 'un. It'll be on at silly o'clock like.

No but I read about it and have seen the stats. Think he outthrew and outlanded Chavez by about 5 to 1 or something. Also sounded like Canelo was taking the piss a bit, going to the ropes etc. Re: GGG, I think he's just came up against a half decent / durable opponent in the last fight. I'd question who he's fought up until then. Brook had some success against him too but, ultimately just wasn't big / strong enough.

• 3 weeks later...

What happened there with Brook? Did his left eye socket go? He was down on rounds but still had a chance of a knockout. Seems strange for him to pull himself out of the fight.

Nah, it was his right that was fucked before. I'd have had him 2 rounds up after six. The questions were all about whether Spence would last the fight but he answered those.

• 3 weeks later...

Tbf, loads of people want to watch it. That's why it's happening and why they're going to make a fortune out of it. As a contest though? Nah

Would rather see him fight GGG. And GGG probably has less of a physical advantage over Mayweather than Mayweather had over Pacquiao

I think Mayweather's been great and he was only really 'boring' in the latter stage of his career when he needed to adapt due to age catching up a little bit. Prior to that he had a pretty high k.o. percentage iirc. The point I was trying to make was that it seems a bit daft that such a huge fight just isn't going to be competitive. Mayweather v GGG would be. Not that it's ever going to happen and I'm not having a go at Mayweather for not making it happen. Also just wanted to point out something which is often forgotten, i.e. Mayweather being physically at a significantl advantage to Pacquiao.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Is McGregor worth a punt at 7/1? There's always the chance of Mayweather being ring rusty or McGregor getting in a lucky shot?

I think those are pretty shite odds tbh.

Just realised it's the Ward v Kovalev rematch this weekend. Two of the best fighters in the sport and it doesn't even get a mention on the BBC's boxing page. Think it's meant to be on at about 2am Saturday night / Sunday morning.