The Boxing thread

Jimbo

these people seem to think connor is going to stand a chance. if you can't be arsed to watch, it basically boils down to flloyd being older and apparently not strong enough puncher to knock connor out. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

these people seem to think connor is going to stand a chance. if you can't be arsed to watch, it basically boils down to flloyd not being older and apparently not strong enough puncher to knock connor out. 

Hes got a punchers chance. He's one of the best strikers in the UFC and his timing is second to none. That's against other MMA fighters though rather than pro boxers

His cardio is woeful too and he nearly lost to Diaz twice as he was fucked after 10mins. 

If if they were fighting with 6oz gloves I'd have given him more of a chance 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

A blow to the stots like that would put most men down tbf

It was an unsatisfactory stoppage because the last blow was definitely low and the two previous to that probably were but the reason they happened is because Kovalev was already doubled over and in survival mode because of the right hook bang on the button and the subsequent body shots in round 8. Kovalev was ducked down (arguably so low as to break the rules himself) and covered his body in a desperate attempt to protect his midriff. He'd already taken some great body shots in the final round and I think it was only a matter of time. That's not defending the stoppage but putting the way it happened into a bit of context, i.e. his position at the end was a result of what had gone on in that round rather than them standing toe-to-toe then the doubling over coming about as a result of a low blow. You could argue of course that Kovalev should have been given time to recover (he should've imo) and if Weeks have taken a point off Ward then (had Kovalev recovered) it may have been crucial in a close contest. I think Ward probably would've still won but it was very competitive before that final round even if I do think Kovalev was fading from about two rounds before (which seems to be an issue with him). Ward wins a 3rd fight if it ever happens and I think Kovalev knows that. Duva will be desperate for it because, even after two consecutive losses, Kovalev is about all she has left. The bloke comes across as a horrible racist cunt but, in terms of his ability, he deserves a better promoter.

5 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

How can the criticism be unjust if he admits he got the decision wrong?

Just guessing but maybe he's referring to suggestions from the divvy KKKovalev fan boys on social media who were suggesting he was corrupt and favoured the black fighter.

22 minutes ago, Ant said:

only found out about this after the fight, what was it he did, something like a pretend interview between himself/ward and he used the Nword or something?

There's some other stuff but that's the most recent. He posted a pic on Twitter of him with a kid who was wearing a t-shirt and the t-shirt was a chimp with boxing gloves on and his comment was 'Adonis (i.e. Stevenson) looks great'. I mean I do think Adonis Stevenson was unwilling to fight him at the time but that's not really an excuse. You can perhaps understand why John David Jackson and Don Turner didn't seem to arsed about his defeat to Ward.

Just now, Ant said:

Duva and Kovalev were getting some amount of heckling in the post fight presser i seen which generally doesn't happen unless on there is something like the above which is what made me go look what the craic was since the heckling was a bit more than the usual "ah you're making excuses for the loss" stuff

ah well slap it up him then if he's of that nature

Was a bit unsightly like but she didn't come across great either. Anyway, I think that's it because neither fight has generated much in the way of PPV figures which gives the Ward camp even less incentive to got for a 3rd rematch. Ward might retire because he's signed to HBO and Stevenson is with Showtime I think and Stevenson doesn't seem interested enough in making hard defences or at least not enough to stop that getting in the way. That's why the end of this fight was such a shame because, like the first one, it was a genuine match-up between two of the top 5 P4P fighters in their prime (more or less).

On 6/13/2017 at 7:27 AM, Ant said:

there's that 0.00000000000001% that mcgregor throws a punch, that not only lands, but manages to KO a goat who has only had like two knockdowns in his career.

which is why people will watch it, to see a possible miracle upset and the ruining of a legacy , like i said no risk for mcgregor, big pay day and lose who cares, for floyd there is that tiny tiny bit of a risk that someone gets lucky.

:D

XkCmfVK.jpg

Mayweather in 6.

In a boxing match the gulf in class is just too huge. Mayweather is the definition of ring management and craft. Once Connor starts breathing heavily it will be all over. I know there is a lot of talk on the internets about the age gap etc...But it literally makes no difference a 50 year old boxer would make fun of a any 30 yr old MMA fighter under boxing rules. Boxing is something else. It takes about 10 years to make a boxer. The knowledge gap is just insurmountable.

A fellah I've known through work for over 25 years is a 5th or 6th dan at some semi obscure martial art (name escapes me ATM) When l first met him I was early to mid twenties and me and some other cocky young gobshites used to "play spar" with him at lunchtimes. He used to beat the crap out of us, I think we just did it for the thrill of seeing him wipe the floor with us when two or three of us attacked him at the same time, proper Bruce  Lee stuff. He's now in his 60s, and is like a wise old Buddhist monk, which he is sort of qualified to be due to the extent of his studies of all aspects of the religion for his MA. He still teaches womens' self defence, the dirty auld fucker :D 

Anyway, he told me something once that has stayed with me. He holds practioners of "the nobel art" in utter contempt, boxers in general are huge figures of fun to him. I asked him about it one day and he said "as soon as any boxer throws a punch he's immediately off balance, and anyone properly trained and with a degree of timing should be able to take them out straight away" 

just saying ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

A fellah I've known through work for over 25 years is a 5th or 6th dan at some semi obscure martial art (name escapes me ATM) When l first met him I was early to mid twenties and me and some other cocky young gobshites used to "play spar" with him at lunchtimes. He used to beat the crap out of us, I think we just did it for the thrill of seeing him wipe the floor with us when two or three of us attacked him at the same time, proper Bruce  Lee stuff. He's now in his 60s, and is like a wise old Buddhist monk, which he is sort of qualified to be due to the extent of his studies of all aspects of the religion for his MA. He still teaches womens' self defence, the dirty auld fucker :D 

Anyway, he told me something once that has stayed with me. He holds practioners of "the nobel art" in utter contempt, boxers in general are huge figures of fun to him. I asked him about it one day and he said "as soon as any boxer throws a punch he's immediately off balance, and anyone properly trained and with a degree of timing should be able to take them out straight away" 

just saying ;) 

:D

Great anecdote.

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

just saying ;) 

It's what you take him out with though?

He could mean a leg sweep which is fair enough in his context but not in this.

Amazed neither him or any of his other mates made a fortune out of professional pugilism back in the day tbh. Sounds like it would've been a doddle.

It will go the distance, McGregor and Mayweather, but Mayweather will win. McGregor will put on the bigger and more dazzling hits but Mayweather will put more on overall. People will argue it and no one will be none the wiser, but both will be set for life.

Mayweather is a seasoned pro man, been there done that. McGregor will have too much respect for him after having a right go the first few rounds.