Last nights pre-match build-up

Did anyone else find it a bit cringeworthy?

It's a bit like holiday reps telling you how to have fun. Don't tell me how to fucking enjoy myself.

You can't manufacture or force atmosphere, it should flow and build up itself. A decent team, playing attractive football and winning games would help. You can't cover that up with scarves an a bloke striding round with a flag.

It all seemed far too try-hard and I bet the followers of other sides were laughing up their sleeves at it. Especially as it seemed to have no effect on the players (or the crowd after the first twenty minutes after seeing us fail to come flying out of the blocks).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from that, which a few people have already mentioned, I found it a bit insulting. Like there was some implication that the crowd had to be cajoled into getting up for a match like that. I thought to myself 'the cheeky cunts'.

It's a bit like holiday reps telling you how to have fun. Don't tell me how to fucking enjoy myself.

You can't manufacture or force atmosphere, it should flow and build up itself. A decent team, playing attractive football and winning games would help. You can't cover that up with scarves an a bloke striding round with a flag.

It all seemed far too try-hard and I bet the followers of other sides were laughing up their sleeves at it. Especially as it seemed to have no effect on the players (or the crowd after the first twenty minutes after seeing us fail to come flying out of the blocks).

I don't mind The Blaydon Races, but the rest was indeed cringeworthy. The references to Pompey "who are ye?" and "did ye come in a car?" were especially bad.

The crap at the start of the second half was poor as well imo.

EDIT: Oh, and the back of the new shirt (that bloke from the radio was wearing it for the cross bar challenge) looked 100 times worse than I had ever imagined.

Edited by snakehips

I don't mind The Blaydon Races, but the rest was indeed cringeworthy. The references to Pompey "who are ye?" and "did ye come in a car?" were especially bad.

The crap at the start of the second half was poor as well imo.

He was clearly fucking ratarsed by then man. :unsure:

I was a bit uncomfortable with it as well, although I did wave the flag I was given anyway.

One bloke in my end approved though, as he was collecting every flag he could find lying around as the ground emptied at the end :unsure:

Like it or loath it, it worked. First half was the best astmospehere weve had in a long time and the Pompey players couldnt string 2 passes together the first 10 mins

The thing is though, I think it would have been a good atmosphere anyway. Not that it was great but it was good. But that was because people were up for it because it was such a crucial game. Not because some knob who sounded like he was putting his accent on was shouting into a microphone or because they'd given out some 'free' gear.

Like it or loath it, it worked. First half was the best astmospehere weve had in a long time and the Pompey players couldnt string 2 passes together the first 10 mins

It certainly sounded like the loudest for a long time on the radio, it doesn't hurt and encourages some of the less hardcore fans to join in a bit more - I don't see the point in moaning about it, every bit of help should be grabbed at the moment.

And we couldn't for the next 80!

I thought it fizzled out within 20mins tbh.

Also, i wish someone would tell him to speed his fucking songs up

Aye, that would've made a slight improvement.

Danby gets a bit of credit from me for his winding-up of the mackems last time - did it very well I thought (I think it inspired quite a few non-too-complimentary threads on RTG, which shows it had the desired effect on them at least :unsure: )

I was a bit uncomfortable with it as well, although I did wave the flag I was given anyway.

One bloke in my end approved though, as he was collecting every flag he could find lying around as the ground emptied at the end :unsure:

one of Ashleys crew tbh, save them for boro

I think the atmosphere would've been fantastic had they not layed flags, scarves and other such shite on anyway so it seemed pointless. Everyone knows the situation we're in and everyone knows that the fans needed to put in a performance last night (shame about the players). As has been said it probably helped a few of less hardcore fans make more noise than usual but when they wheeled Danby out for a rendition of 'Shearer Wonderland' I did cringe a bit.

Also, when are they going to learn that giving us anything made out of paper and card is going to end in paper airplanes being thrown? Fair play to who ever it was in Level 7 who made and threw the one that missed a time wasting David James by only a foot or two :unsure:

ad hoc ergo proctor hoc

Apart from that, which a few people have already mentioned, I found it a bit insulting. Like there was some implication that the crowd had to be cajoled into getting up for a match like that. I thought to myself 'the cheeky cunts'.

This.

I saw it as a bit of a pathetic attempt to shift responsiblity. Almost as though it was a case of "right, we've appointed the man you wanted - now it's over to you...."

If they knew anything about the club, they'd know damned well that we didn't need that.

tbf, they were doing what they thought best to gee us up, which like it or lump it we need. I agree though it would be much better just to ensure that the team play with pride and passion rather than issue flags.

Flags and cards may look good on telly but frankly the only other time the flags n scarves come into play is if we score, unfookinglikely they'll see the light of day again this season tbh.

If you want to talk about patronising then imagine what it would have been like if some bright spark had gone ahead with his idea without first making a call to one of the lads from the SC. A bloke positioned in front of each stand telling you when to cheer, clap, sing etc.

:unsure:

:razz:

It was all for the marketing materials AshleyCo. must be preparing for the Newcastle United sales brochure...

"And the rabid fan support comes at no extra charge! It can all be yours for only £120 million!"

I'm sorry. I'm in a crappy mood this morning. Getting screwed over at work.

It was all for the marketing materials AshleyCo. must be preparing for the Newcastle United sales brochure...

"And the rabid fan support comes at no extra charge! It can all be yours for only £120 million!"

That doesn't sound too bad, actually, if only he actually planned to sell.

Isn't he? Thought I read a link somewhere on here that he'd planned to take the loss and get out if we got relegated.

Isn't he? Thought I read a link somewhere on here that he'd planned to take the loss and get out if we got relegated.

NOTW... :unsure:

The fans complain about the shit atmosphere and the fans complain about the pathetic attempts of the club to do something about it.

But it's the fans who aren't singing.

What was more embarrassing, the pre-match or being outsang by 500 Portsmouth fans and offering NOTHING whatsoever back?