Last nights pre-match build-up

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his, rather reasonable, point is that it's all well and good saying the fans aren't singing. But the display was utter bilge. They were singing (and would have been singing with or without the cheer leader) for a decent portion of the game, but as it became clear that we were in for disappointment the will to get behind the team dissolved in conjunction with the teams will to win.

Conductors and Cards, Flares and Flags, these are all fluff, second to a committed showing from the lads. A player having a run at people gets more of a response than a thousand free scarves profferred up. Winning a 50/50 would raise the hackles and the volume.

I think his, rather reasonable, point is that it's all well and good saying the fans aren't singing. But the display was utter bilge. They were singing (and would have been singing with or without the cheer leader) for a decent portion of the game, but as it became clear that we were in for disappointment the will to get behind the team dissolved in conjunction with the teams will to win.

Conductors and Cards, Flares and Flags, these are all fluff, second to a committed showing from the lads. A player having a run at people gets more of a response than a thousand free scarves profferred up. Winning a 50/50 would raise the hackles and the volume.

Not sure if you were at the match or not, but it sticks out a mile you call Newcastle supporters who were singing 'they' rather than 'we'. :unsure:

The way I see it, anyone who, during a quiet moment, when it was needed most, stood forward solo and belted out the opening line of a song at the top of their voice, or anyone who kept singing and singing and singing a chant that'd died down until people joined in again just to shut them up, or just anyone wiith a sore throat this morning did us proud and I look forward to standing shoulder to shoulder with them next season, whichever league we're in. Just about everyone in the stadium will be of that ilk once Ashley cleans out the fans who only come to watch good football and we'll enjoy ourselves all the more for it, irrespective of the performance.

Of course we'd all prefer to enjoy the football too, but we can't control that.

A decent team, playing attractive football and winning games would help.

Basically, you're saying you'll sing when we're winning?

Deliberately missing my point.

That's not what I meant at all. Are you playing devil's advocate?

Might be a bit harsh of me, but I can't see why the club deserve stick for giving away free scarves and flags. Devalues the stick they get that they do deserve.

The fans that haven't sang all season long and turned the place into a library deserve stick. I only heard one chant started outside the Leazes. Can't wait for them to cancel their direct debits.

A decent team, playing attractive football and winning games would help.

Basically, you're saying you'll sing when we're winning?

Deliberately missing my point.

That's not what I meant at all. Are you playing devil's advocate?

Might be a bit harsh of me, but I can't see why the club deserve stick for giving away free scarves and flags. Devalues the stick they get that they do deserve.

The fans that haven't sang all season long and turned the place into a library deserve stick. I only heard one chant started outside the Leazes. Can't wait for them to cancel their direct debits.

You'd rather the place was three quarters empty then? Righto. It's great when fans blame the fans for the lack of performance though. :aye:

I don't see why singing should ever be mandatory, but I especially don't see why it should be when the players don't give a toss and we are faced with this rubbish day in day out.

Fwiw I thought the atmosphere was good early last night. But the fans need their effort to be reciprocated by the players ultimately. I'm not sure it makes any difference anyway, there seems to be no correlation between fan noise and the clubs success. Anfield and Highbury are amongst the quietest places I have been to.

You'd rather the place was three quarters empty then? Righto. It's great when fans blame the fans for the lack of performance though. :aye:

Can't see the attendances dropping to 13000 like, even in the championship we should pull in 30,000. I wouldn't shed too many tears if L7 closed and all those from the corner moved a bit closer so what atmosphere is generated gets transmitted to the pitch.

Can't see the attendances dropping to 13000 like, even in the championship we should pull in 30,000. I wouldn't shed too many tears if L7 closed and all those from the corner moved a bit closer so what atmosphere is generated gets transmitted to the pitch.

I thought the implication was that you'd be glad if non-singers didn't renew? I think that's most of the ground and probably most of level 7 too. You may as well stick everyone in the East stand and shut the rest of the ground.

Even the away atmospheres have suffered massively this year imo. Seriously, whose fault is it?

I thought the implication was that you'd be glad if non-singers didn't renew? I think that's most of the ground and probably most of level 7 too. You may as well stick everyone in the East stand and shut the rest of the ground.

Even the away atmospheres have suffered massively this year imo. Seriously, whose fault is it?

It seems there's not many song starters in the East stand or the Gallowgate, but I'm sure there's plenty who'd join in if the miserable bastards around them didn't ask them to sit down and stop swearing.

It's probably all Keegans fault for giving us delusions of grandeur 15 years ago.

I didnt mind the idea of scarves, flags or cards, neither did I mind the rendition of Blaydon Races when it was on the telly. It was after that when Danby was singing songs to get the fans going, it was then I thought it was tinpot.

I said "they" because I was talking about those fans at the ground, they were there... I was not.

I was sitting in my house in London effing and blinding at the screen because of the toothless attack and brainless midfield

You'd rather the place was three quarters empty then? Righto. It's great when fans blame the fans for the lack of performance though. :scratchhead:

It seems there's not many song starters in the East stand or the Gallowgate, but I'm sure there's plenty who'd join in if the miserable bastards around them didn't ask them to sit down and stop swearing.

It's probably all Keegans fault for giving us delusions of grandeur 15 years ago.

I've honestly never heard anyone object to someone else singing, and I currently sit in the East stand (which is quiet, I grant you). Yet I hear about it on here a lot. Odd. :aye:

I didnt mind the idea of scarves, flags or cards, neither did I mind the rendition of Blaydon Races when it was on the telly. It was after that when Danby was singing songs to get the fans going, it was then I thought it was tinpot.

I agree. The way he attempted to insult the Pompey fans was cringeworthy, as was 'Shearer wonderland'. Mind, we have an owner with no class, makes sense we will become a club with no class.

aye I saw that bloke as the next steps down becoming a mickey mouse club with cheer leaders, music after goals, and Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube-Men!

You'd rather the place was three quarters empty then? Righto. It's great when fans blame the fans for the lack of performance though. :scratchhead:

I've honestly never heard anyone object to someone else singing, and I currently sit in the East stand (which is quiet, I grant you). Yet I hear about it on here a lot. Odd. :aye:

But you've heard people complain about standing and swearing I take it.

When the song is "stand up if you love the toon" it loses something when you sing it sat down.

Didn't we have Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube-Men a couple of seasons back? They were at the Leazes End next to the goal, for the first home game of the season.

Some of it was a bit cringeworthy last night-however, the atmosphere in my bit (in the first half, at least) was the best it's been all season, bar the mackem match...so I'll take a bit of embarrassment as long as that can keep going to the end of the season.

Mind, we have an owner with no class, makes sense we will become a club with no class.

Apparently Setanta zoomed in on Ashley during the opera man's version of The Blaydon Races and he was sat reading his programme or a piece of card or something, completely oblivious to all that was going on around him.

aye I saw that bloke as the next steps down becoming a mickey mouse club with cheer leaders, music after goals, and Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube-Men!

I can't see our Wacky waving anything around tbh. Unless it's someone's head (not saying who) on a spike!

The 2 lads next to me held their cards up with the white bit facing them :aye:

I dropped mine on the floor after the 'display' and the game was starting, only to stand on it, slip, and nearly go arse over tit into the row in front!! I guess standing isn't safe after all. :scratchhead: